Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 08:23 AM

A problem in my garden, quick fix needed

I have a big problem in my garden that is really winding me up. Firstly I will apologize to the cat lovers out there for this thread but right now I cannot stand cats.

It started off that we have nowhere other than by the back door to store our bin bags resulting in waking up most mornings to find the contents strewn across the garden after being ripped open by cats. It's not foxes or any other creature as they could not get into our garden, it's definitely cats. Quick fix - buy stronger bags and double bag. Downside is I'm not made of money and it annoys me having to do it.

Yesterday when I come home there are small footprints in my nice new earth in my vegetable patch and then upon moving the soil round I find the "gift" left for me by one of the neighbourhood moggies. At this point enough is enough. I know that cat **** can cause a flu like illness as well so I don't want to be running that risk everytime I get my hands dirty in the garden.

So what are my options in getting rid of them?? And I need a quick fix. I'm guessing the sound thingys are out the question because of monty. I'm not willing to wait for something to grow and I also wasn't sure about the pellet or liquid type repellents again in case Monty eats them.

Anyone got a tried and tested method?? I'm at my wits end with it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-04-2009, 08:37 AM
If you buy some black thread and some short canes and then break the canes into 3 you can then make a maze thing by putting the bits of canes all around your veg and/or flower patch, then use the thread to link all the canes together. The cats can't see it, so when they come up against it they decide to clear off because they have no idea what it is. The other one is to string the give-away cd's you get with newspapers onto the thread as well. You can 'ring fence' your garden like this. I once caught a cat leaving me a small pressie on my grass, chased it out, only to get a nasty letter from the person that owned it saying her daughter had witnessed this 'act of cruelty' and I had upset her, so would I please desist from these 'cruel acts' towards her daughter's pet. I wrote back to say I would be delighted to let my 2 girlies perform on HER grass and she could clear it up, just let me know when!! Never heard another word
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 08:54 AM
You can get pellets that have been soaked in Lion dung I have been told they work a treat.
As for your bins, can you not buy a solid bin and put your bags in there.
Elaine xxx
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Sounds interesting, might give that one a go.

Love the story about the letter as well. I was very vocal in the back garden about my annoyance with the cats. Knowing my luck one will die and the neighbours will all think it's me!

I also read somewhere that they only like empty flower beds and don't bother so much if it's full of plants so guess I'll have to get a shift on with planting stuff out.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Sounds interesting, might give that one a go.

Love the story about the letter as well. I was very vocal in the back garden about my annoyance with the cats. Knowing my luck one will die and the neighbours will all think it's me!

I also read somewhere that they only like empty flower beds and don't bother so much if it's full of plants so guess I'll have to get a shift on with planting stuff out.
Yea strong smelling plants like geraniums, but don't get cap nip Or possibly put some onion based plants like Allium in with your bedding plants.
Elaine xx
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 09:02 AM
We're getting a solid bin soon but that will only hold one bag and as our black bin liners only get collected fortnightly we often end up with several bags. We're also looking at getting a wooden chest type thing built to contain them.

You should see it when it comes round to bin day and everyone piles their bags up in the street to be collected. The cats just swarm to it. I always feel so sorry for the bin men as the bags are everywhere by morning.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Were lucky here, we have those big bins with lids on, and they get emptied every tuesday.
Try spraying the bags with citronella for the time being
Elaine xxx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-04-2009, 09:12 AM
The lion poo sounds good I have found that cats dig up any plants as soon as I put them in, but the maze of black thread really does deter the blighters. Don't have the trouble with the bins as we have a large black wheelie bin, which is in the yard where the dogs have their kennels, any maurauding moggie is welcome to take their chance, but not seen any so far. Incidentally there is a bloke nearby who has 10 cats and they seem to do their business in the lane at the back, now if that were my dogs I would be hounded by Environmental Health and probably hauled into Court and fined, maybe even the local stocks I have complained several times, as in the summer the kids play there, and to my mind that is a major health hazard when there are small children around.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2009, 10:35 AM
the Cd thing tends to work quite well, you could also try pepper scattered round the area as apparantely cats dont like that !! although not sure whether that would encourage Monty to taste it ?? LOL

We also have solid bins so not an issue, however Bruno despises cats so any that come in our garden are really taking their life in their hands so they tend to stay away, however we did have a fox but I have blocked off where he was coming in as he was pooing on the grass.

There is a sound thingy you can get that I am sure you can set for cats or dogs ....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2009, 07:28 PM
OK you's lot I have cats....now come on be fair. (only Joking)

I'm lucky (well you lot would call it luck) mine poo in our garden, so we've never had complaints from neighbours.

But Orange peel scattered about works....although Monty would eat it, and the Lion Pellets work...but Monty might eat them too, so perhaps you could pop it down at night and race him out in the morning to pick it up
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >