View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyRaven
New Member!
Female 

15-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Help! GSD Puppy doesn't want to go for a walk??

Raven has always been a bit of a ****** to get on her lead but just recently it seems as if she'd rather not go.

First of all we had her on a harness but as she got bigger she started to pull like a train & also jump up people in the street. After a visit to our local pet shop we got a Halti lead too. So now she has the Halti & the harness connect to a dual lead. This has worked better, she trots along nicely next to you and if she pulls in the opposite direction or sees something really interesting you can gently turn her nose away from it & she re-focuses on wherever we're going. The pet shop people suggested a regular lead & neck collar but I can't stand that horrible breathing noise dogs make when they pull with a neck collar on.

Does she not like the new lead set up because she knows she has less freedom/control and is that why she doesn't want me to put her on her lead at all?

I hoped she'd be really excited to go out

Any answers please?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Did you introduce the harness and headcollar slowly? The sensation could be alien/unpleasant, new equipment should ideally be introduced slowly.
Otherwise I'd maybe suggest a vet trip to rule out injury or illness.
AmyRaven
New Member!
Female 

15-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Did you introduce the harness and headcollar slowly? The sensation could be alien/unpleasant, new equipment should ideally be introduced slowly.
Otherwise I'd maybe suggest a vet trip to rule out injury or illness.
I don't think she's injured or ill because as soon as the lead comes off or if we're down the beach & she's not had her lead on at all she's bounding about & enjoying herself.

I think she may be a little bit frightened of it to be honest but how do I now (re)introduce it slowly when I still need to get her out for her walks?
AmyRaven
New Member!
Female 

15-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by AmyRaven View Post
I don't think she's injured or ill because as soon as the lead comes off or if we're down the beach & she's not had her lead on at all she's bounding about & enjoying herself.

I think she may be a little bit frightened of it to be honest but how do I now (re)introduce it slowly when I still need to get her out for her walks?
She never had any reservations about her harness by the way I think it's just the Halti, with the harness she'll step into it for you no problem.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

AmyRaven
New Member!
Female 

15-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Great, thanks, I'll try that tonight.