Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ScoobyDo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2010, 10:26 AM

Pug puppy doesn't chew his food

My pug puppy Max is 4mths old, and the problem I have is he doesn't chew his kibble or anything else that he is offered (treats etc.) he just hovers it all up in secs. and of course sometimes he brings it back, so have started to soften it. could anyone here give me any ideas to slow him down. I can't see what enjoyment he gets from it. Thanks
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Some dogs do like to bolt their food down - from a 'wolf' POV, bolting food down would stop other wolves eating it first, and dogs have very strong stomach acid which does the bulk of the work when it comes to digesting food. Dogs lack flat molars like humans, because they're not designed to chew every mouthful - they have sharp canines used to tear meat off bones and chomp bones into smaller pieces.
If you do want to stop it though, one thing you could try is putting a ball in his bowl, it makes dogs have to stop and think about grabbing the food because the ball rolls around in the way. There are also also special bowls designed to help with this issue
http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item...st-bowl---dogs
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/cat-accessori...et-bowl-p-4401
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Feeding off a tray rather than a bowl used to slow Toby down (a bit). He is 14months old now and has just recently started actually chewing his food!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 03:54 PM
How often are you feeding?
Vickyd1987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2010, 04:02 PM
My 3 month old Pug puppy is the same! Piggy. Maybe you could post some pictures in the pug- toy doy thread. Would love to see
ScoobyDo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
How often are you feeding?
Hi ClaireandDaisy, I am feeding him 3 times a day. Is this not enough ? he is very greedy and does seem hungry all the time, I have to feed my Bichon in a different room, or Max would scoff his food too. I have never had a dog who is so greedy
ScoobyDo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Vickyd1987 View Post
My 3 month old Pug puppy is the same! Piggy. Maybe you could post some pictures in the pug- toy doy thread. Would love to see
Vicky I would if I could get my head around how to post them.
Vickyd1987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Hows his eating habits getting on mate??
ScoobyDo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Vickyd1987 View Post
Hows his eating habits getting on mate??
I'm afraid things are no different Vicky, I did try putting a ball in his dish but he just cried and moaned. I don't think he likes the noise that his unsoftened kibble makes in the dish I use a stainless steel dish as his breeder said Pugs need to be fed from this to avoid the dreaded pimples, although he has had a couple. His breeder said use a bigger kibble but I'm afraid to do this as I feel he might choke, so at the moment I'm still soaking it. Maybe when he has finished teething he may start chewing. As a matter of interest does your puppy chew her food ?
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Dutch used to wolf his food down too, i asked the vet about it and he said that puppies do it because when they were with their litter mates it was a case of 'eat as fast as you can or you dont eat'
he suggested putting a large toy in his bowl, like a kong or something.
Dutch has really slowed down now, minus the toy, i think he just grew out of it when he realised he didnt have to compete with anyone for his dinner

well thats how it worked for me, might be diff for you, hope everything works out!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >