Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

17-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Keep us posted Lynn!

I think you can use these to make coconut oil? Cut the pieces of coconut and dehydrate them, then put them through a crush juicer which extracts the oil. Coconut oil is VERY good for you, and probably one of the safest oils to use for frying/cooking.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Keep us posted Lynn!

I think you can use these to make coconut oil? Cut the pieces of coconut and dehydrate them, then put them through a crush juicer which extracts the oil. Coconut oil is VERY good for you, and probably one of the safest oils to use for frying/cooking.
I will take a look into that thanks. It also mentions yoghurt. Gorden and I are wondering how as the drying trays have little holes in them. We wonder if it makes that nice coating you put on peauts and raisins. Another one to explore.

The potato chips are looking good and the banana chips.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:00 PM
ohh that is tempting!! I have been trying to make my own beef jerky for ages - and although it is yummy it is really more slow cooked meat
and it would be great for the dogs too!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I will take a look into that thanks. It also mentions yoghurt. Gorden and I are wondering how as the drying trays have little holes in them. We wonder if it makes that nice coating you put on peauts and raisins. Another one to explore.

You would make yoghurt in this the same way as using an airing cupboard.

I used to make it daily when I was the Persil wife.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Treat yourself. You deserve it.
If enough people convince me that I deserve it...

I know it is expensive, but it is from a local supplier and has a five year guarantee. The only minus is that only the larger [and much more expensive] model has a timer, but as it needs to be on for 26 hours I cannot see that as being a problem.

And I really really really do want one...
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

23-10-2011, 04:32 PM

Just bringing this up to say that thanks to your encouragement my dehydrator was dispatched this morning!

Regarding yoghurt, do the trays in yours lift out? The one I have bought has removable trays so that you can put a bowl inside for yoghurt [or to dry whole fruit].

As the for holes in the drying trays, I bought some silicone lining sheets for the trays for use when making fruit "leathers".

Oh and I got quite a good discount as I bought it with just one payment.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Enjoy Malka.

The banana chips came out really well. Potato chips not so good think they needed to be sliced thinner.

Now have to get round to drying out some meat strips to see if they will make good doggie treats.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

23-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Looks like I will have to use my Mandolin if I want to do potatoes then. Watch out fingers!

Please let me know how the meat strips work - presumably fish strips can be done as well? Maybe we should swap notes about what we do!

I know that mine comes with what has been described as a "good recipe book" and there are quite a few books on Amazon with drying tips and ideas if necessary.

I ordered it on Wednesday, but because Thursday was a Holy Day it could not be sent until this morning, so should be here in maybe three or four days [it has to go through the main Post Office in town before being delivered to the Moshav].

New toys are quite exciting, are they not?!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Looks like I will have to use my Mandolin if I want to do potatoes then. Watch out fingers!

Please let me know how the meat strips work - presumably fish strips can be done as well? Maybe we should swap notes about what we do!

I know that mine comes with what has been described as a "good recipe book" and there are quite a few books on Amazon with drying tips and ideas if necessary.

I ordered it on Wednesday, but because Thursday was a Holy Day it could not be sent until this morning, so should be here in maybe three or four days [it has to go through the main Post Office in town before being delivered to the Moshav].

New toys are quite exciting, are they not?!
Will do. Mind your fingers on that mandolin.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

23-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Mind your fingers on that mandolin.
It is quite safe...

...as long as I remember to use the finger guard thingie!

[says Malka, who sliced the tip off one of her fingers on a box grater ]
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >