View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 08:50 AM
have to say hun I would get it professionally done if you can, I do alot of DIY and we had exactly the same with this house, it won't stay even if filled. Try asking the landlord to go halves after all its in his interest too, if he says no check out your rights on some of these sites that help when you rent properties.

we had to get a plasterer (which I said earlier) and I will tell you he only had to knock it and the whole lot came off in less then 10 mins
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Try asking the landlord to go halves after all its in his interest too, if he says no check out your rights on some of these sites that help when you rent properties.
i agree , though usually decorating is usually down to the tennant , so any damage done prior to decorating would have to be covered by the tennant or they could find their deposit at risk

advice coming from CAB.
Your landlord is usually responsible for external and major structural repairs. You are usually responsible for internal decoration and for making sure that furniture and other contents, and fixtures and fittings are not damaged because of your negligence (see under Damage or loss to contents/furniture).

You will not usually be responsible for making good any deterioration caused by ‘fair wear and tear’ (see under Wear and tear). Your exact responsibilities will normally be described in the tenancy agreement.

You must take care of the property by doing the little jobs which can reasonably be expected of you, for example, unblocking drains and mending fuses.

You should also inform the landlord about any situation which could cause damage to the property, for example, a leak in the roof.

If your landlord claims that you have damaged the property, they will normally keep all or part of any deposit you may have paid to cover the cost of damage
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
i`d try posting your job here and see how much you can get it done for , i had a complete kitchen refit done for £550 that included laying a stone tiled 30 square foot kitchen floor and they were jolly good too yet i`d been quoted over £2000 by others before i found this site
http://www.mybuilder.com/plasterers/in/uk
Thanks for the link, I'll go check it out. So far since moving here I've laid my own stone tiled kitchen floor, revamped 2 gardens including concreting & patios, built 2 fences & endless other amounts of jobs. I think this has been sent to test my patience though xx

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
have to say hun I would get it professionally done if you can, I do alot of DIY and we had exactly the same with this house, it won't stay even if filled. Try asking the landlord to go halves after all its in his interest too, if he says no check out your rights on some of these sites that help when you rent properties.

we had to get a plasterer (which I said earlier) and I will tell you he only had to knock it and the whole lot came off in less then 10 mins
The landlord owns literally hundreds of houses, it took me 8 months fight to get my sons bedroom wall plastered after the guttering had been put up the wrong way & was draining into the wall instead of down the drainpipe Thanks Steph xx
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Thankyou Dooley, I'll get onto the landlord again & tell them this. I do have a picture of the ceiling before I started stripping the walls, for that 'just incase' moment. It shows the ceiling sagging xxx
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Thankyou Dooley, I'll get onto the landlord again & tell them this. I do have a picture of the ceiling before I started stripping the walls, for that 'just incase' moment. It shows the ceiling sagging xxx
if you think you are being treated unfairly by your landlord you do have rights and any major repairs he is responsible for. you could always go through the private sector through the council , who would will duly shove a rocket up his bum where repairs are concerned that they feel he is responsible for
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
if you think you are being treated unfairly by your landlord you do have rights and any major repairs he is responsible for. you could always go through the private sector through the council , who would will duly shove a rocket up his bum where repairs are concerned that they feel he is responsible for
Ahhha!! I just had a 'bing' idea I rang the landlord & basically said what you had written The lady (its normally a bloke I talk to) took it quite seriously when I said the ceiling had collapsed ( I exaggerated a little ) and there was children in the house. It needed looking at asap. Shes took my number & said she'll get the plasterers to call me...so now its just a waiting game...I hope they do it!! everything crossed guys. Thankyou xx
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 11:10 AM
The property manager came out to look at the staircase 4 weeks ago, said he would get the plasterers in asap......I'm still waiting.
I've called them every week & get told they'll call me....grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Try sending something in writing, i.e. recorded mail, better than a verbal agreement.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi Rub, sorry not been on, so just caught up with this...

Our Landlord can be a bit 'lazy' when it comes to spending money!!

It doesn't matter whether you have exacerbated the situation or not by ripping off the wallpaper! It would have needed doing whether or not it was now or five years' time. That's what woodchip does. We had the same some time ago!!

It is his responsibility, and keep on to him. The plaster must be a little damp for it to come off in clumps like that!!

It's his responsibility
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2