Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I'm having olives made from Water Buffalo tonight

I think it was about £20 for venison liver and venison kidneys (which they threw in for Loui ) a pack of garlic red wine and venison sausages, 2 packs of venison and something sausages (both different but cant remember off the top of my head..think 8 sausages in each of the three packs) a pack of buffalo olives, 2 packs of buffalo, cranberry and wild boar olives (4 olives a tray/pack) oh, and a large (cracked) organic egg (also for Loui )

Have a feeling it would have cost a lot more to get all that from a supermarket (if you could even get it) and the quality wouldn't be as good. All of it can be frozen too

Next time I will try the veg (he has stuff I havent seen before never mind ate ) so that's on the agenda for next time! Defo eggs and maybe pork, lamb beef and fish next time..... Like my food!
The veg is good value too, Im sure they will tell you how its cooked etc., must say I love to shop at farmers markets too
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
I used to LOVE the monthly Farmers Market in Southsea as it brought a lot of interesting things- as well as being something to do on a Sunday.

For the record I used to live in the East End of London and for years I loved getting up early on a Sunday to do Brick Lane, Columbia Road and Spitalfields markets even if I didn't have any money to spend. (I worked out once that I could access almost 20 markets every weekend in just a few miles radius).

Out of London there just doesn't seem to be the same Sunday vibe apart from car boot sales which are usually out of town and I do't drive.

The FM in Southsea had butchers' stalls where I could get organic beef & lamb bones for next to nothing, and a very good range of herb plants as well as other types of plants that weren't available locally. There was also a game stall where I could get oven ready rabbit & pigeon. As well as locally produced goat cheese which really was goaty, and of course the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm stall for fabulous chutneys like Vampire Relish and the chance to buy smoked garlic.

I miss those Sundays now - just as much as I used to miss the London markets. There's nothing at all here and Sundays are totally barren.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
surely there's not only two of us that shop at the farmers market?
I've been to Cupar one a couple of times but found them very pricey or maybe I'm just mean

I did buy some different beers for presents last Christmas and have bought deli stuff too
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 06:05 AM
I do. Yes, more expensive than Tesco etc...but you really do get what you pay for..rather have a little of something nice, than a lot of something average
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I used to LOVE the monthly Farmers Market in Southsea as it brought a lot of interesting things- as well as being something to do on a Sunday.

For the record I used to live in the East End of London and for years I loved getting up early on a Sunday to do Brick Lane, Columbia Road and Spitalfields markets even if I didn't have any money to spend. (I worked out once that I could access almost 20 markets every weekend in just a few miles radius).

Out of London there just doesn't seem to be the same Sunday vibe apart from car boot sales which are usually out of town and I do't drive.

The FM in Southsea had butchers' stalls where I could get organic beef & lamb bones for next to nothing, and a very good range of herb plants as well as other types of plants that weren't available locally. There was also a game stall where I could get oven ready rabbit & pigeon. As well as locally produced goat cheese which really was goaty, and of course the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm stall for fabulous chutneys like Vampire Relish and the chance to buy smoked garlic.

I miss those Sundays now - just as much as I used to miss the London markets. There's nothing at all here and Sundays are totally barren.
'Brick Lane' ...Now there's a blast frm the past,I loved going there when i was little
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post

Aw that sounds great MM
Is it still the same there now?
I haven't been to Brick Lane etc, I watched a programme once and a vague recollection tells me it may not be? It was a documentary and I cant remember the ins and outs but I think perhaps as the 'posh and not posh postcodes' came into things it started getting harder for traders or something along those lines.

I think it would be great if we had a weekly market, even if it was sat/sun's. We don't even have a veg shop for at least 25 miles here anymore and the market which you can only get to by car from here on a sunday isnt what it used to be really and again, supermarket veg is not really that good, though I find Aldi/Lidl are better than the others

I remember I loved the market when I was little, there was everything from meat, veg, towels, bedding, clothes, pet stands, toys.....but I think it was the atmosphere that was best We dont have that market anymore though.

EDIT; the farmers market is once a month though Its small but I still like it.
callumsmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2011, 04:33 AM
We get a farmers market here once a month it was last thursday and as it was raining not all the traders came..I often buy apples from the farmers market they are good value and very fresh and i have tried some of the ciders and wine..Some of the produce isnt cheap its very hit and miss and you need to look for bargains..I often buy the beeswax from the farmers market as its useful for making ointments with ..I do hope people continue to support them as its nice to buy something different..
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2011, 05:32 AM
I only buy supermarket meat very very rarely. Usually chicken for the Gingers.

I buy our meat from a farmers market and the quality is superb. I don't find it outlandishly expensive, and it's so nice, it's pretty much considered a treat here.

Fruit is the same, although it tends to spoil quite quickly, so little and often is the key.

JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-10-2011, 09:23 AM
We buy all our meat from the farm down the road, supermarket meat taste horrible in comparison and it's actually cheaper at the farm!
Been to markets before and end up coming away with random tasting cheeses and jams.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2