View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 10:46 AM

Anyone used/using Applaws? (dry dog food)

hi
has anyone used this food???

http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/applaws...ection=applaws

our vet wholesaler has the dry on half price through april,so i iz stocking up...i try not to feed cereal and grains to my dogs(especially Lobo,re the cancer ) and i haven't managed to buy a chest freezer for my raw supply yet
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
has anyone used this food???

http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/applaws...ection=applaws

our vet wholesaler has the dry on half price through april,so i iz stocking up...i try not to feed cereal and grains to my dogs(especially Lobo,re the cancer ) and i haven't managed to buy a chest freezer for my raw supply yet
As a huge BARF fan, it sounds good. My daughter fed her Chihuahua, Gucci, on the wet Applaws in the tins as a precursor to putting him fully onto raw meat and bones, which she has done. Although terribly expensive, we found the wet Applaws absolutely brilliant. If the dry is as good as it says on the packet, and there are no cereals in there etc. etc., then I would think it would be excellent. I might well buy a bag myself, having scrutinised the label first, just as an emergency standby for when I have forgotten to defrost any meat for the boys.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Just had a look too, as have had to take Jamie off raw, he won't eat it anymore and is sick when he does eat it It looks good! Good price at the moment too!
Off thread but how many tins would you need to feed a 31kg dog as they look quite small, but look really good quality?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Just had a look too, as have had to take Jamie off raw, he won't eat it anymore and is sick when he does eat it It looks good! Good price at the moment too!
Off thread but how many tins would you need to feed a 31kg dog as they look quite small, but look really good quality?
It is amazingly good quality, but dreadfully expensive settagirl. My daughter's Chihuahua had 1 of the small tins per day, and I think each little tiny tin cost somewhere between £1.50 and £2.00! I would think you would be able to buy it slightly cheaper in larger tins maybe, but even so this is a ridiculous price to pay IMO. We feed Tai on the BARF diet, who weighs about 100 lbs, maybe more, for well less than £1 per day including bones and raw veg. For a dog of around 30 kg, it would be astronomically expensive, if you think that Gucci the Chihuahua only weighs 1 kilo, maybe 2 at the most!

If you could find it in large tins though, it might not be too bad. Perhaps you could feed the kibble with just a little of the tinned mixed in to add moisture and flavour?

I am concerned though to hear that Jamie vomits after eating raw - this doesn't sound right. If I were you, I would have this investigated by your vet. Have you wormed him recently? Could he have a blockage of some sort? If he has been happy on raw for some time, unless you are feeding him really rancid meat, which I am sure you are not, then this doesn't sound right to me.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2010, 02:08 PM
No experience of the dry but the wet cat food gets very good reviews among rat people

That may sound daft but they also only use the better quality dry for making up dry mixes so I would think dry wpuld be good too