3-4 weeks 7 26.92%
5-6 weeks 0 0%
7-8 weeks 1 3.85%
3-5 months 4 15.38%
6-8 months 3 11.54%
9-11 months 0 0%
12 + months 0 0%
Still training 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 03:16 PM

How long did it take to toilet train?

Hello guys, as someone that is going through the toilet training process i am interested to know how long it has taken people to toilet train their pups.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I've only ever had to toilet train one dog and she picked it up within a day or two of being allowed outside after her vaccinations. I'm not saying she never had an accident after that but she knew what was expected of her very quickly indeed. I think she is exceptionally bright though (well, I would wouldn't I?!).

Before she was allowed outside I'd trained her to go on newspaper on the floor and she managed to learn that in a matter of days as well. In fact the first time I took her outside and tried to get her to go to the toilet she held it all in for the hour or so that we were in the park and as soon as we got home she rushed over to her newspaper and went on there again! I taught her to go outside by very quickly picking her up and rushing her outside as soon as she started sniffing around her newspaper. I gave her a chocolate drop the first time she went to the toilet outside and she knew straight away that was what she was meant to do from then on.
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 03:31 PM
i would say it only took molly 1-2 weeks to get the hang of it she still had a few accidents but thats just expected bless her she was very good
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2006, 04:03 PM
How long is a piece of string??????? it can take wks or mths, depends on you and your dog............I would not really expect a puppy less than 12wks to be housetrained properly and even longer with some, a pup can pick up what you want very quickly as young as 9 wks but they are by no means housetrained..........they will still have accidents for a few mths to come, the trick is to be consistent , routine routine routine, the more you stick to it the faster your pup will lean, and that also means through the night as well, many people make the mistake of training the dog in the day and then expect the pup to be able to go all night with out having an accident........you will need to get up and take him/her out a couple of times through the night as well............the older pup gets they will be able to control the bladder/bowels for longer................I would expect them to be fully housetrained by 6mths......... by that Imean they can have free run of the house, (with me watching them ) but you can still have the odd accident even them.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox
How long is a piece of string??????? it can take wks or mths, depends on you and your dog............I would not really expect a puppy less than 12wks to be housetrained properly and even longer with some, a pup can pick up what you want very quickly as young as 9 wks but they are by no means housetrained..........they will still have accidents for a few mths to come, the trick is to be consistent , routine routine routine, the more you stick to it the faster your pup will lean, and that also means through the night as well, many people make the mistake of training the dog in the day and then expect the pup to be able to go all night with out having an accident........you will need to get up and take him/her out a couple of times through the night as well............the older pup gets they will be able to control the bladder/bowels for longer................I would expect them to be fully housetrained by 6mths......... by that Imean they can have free run of the house, (with me watching them ) but you can still have the odd accident even them.
Agree with Jackbox ...

Because a puppy is not capable of fully controlling its bodily functions until around the age of 4 months, technically it can't be fully house trained until then. However, the diligent humans can anticipate when a puppy wishes to relive itself and take it to the designated soiling spot, and a bright puppy will quickly learn what is required ....but it is still physically incapable of waiting a long time to relieve itself and will soil if there is no one around to take it out .

Amy for example soiled in the house just twice as a puppy, neither occasion was her fault. It took her about a week to realise what was expected of her. I installed a dog door with the door propped open (she was too tiny to open it) and ramp and she went in and out to the garden as required .
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Took my girls a few weeks to pick up the general idea, but i'd say they were around 6(ish) months before we stopped having any accidents at all in the house.

Charlie was a different story, I got him at 10 months, not housetrained (or trained in any way form or mannor) and it took him a few months to get the hang, but once it clicked, we didn't have any more accidents after that.

Hope this helps
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Well i would say it has taken Vienna about 4 - 5 months to train ME to REALLY recognise the signals that she wants the toilet. She is about 23 weeks old now and i still leave her puppy pads when i go out as i know she simply cant hold it for THAT long. She is very good and uses them without shredding them if she needs to go and i am not there to open the door.
I must say i struggled at first because i simply did not recognise exactly when she wanted to go out to toilet. We understand each other much better now lol and its very rare for her to have an accident. She also got the 'i need to go' message across much more easily at nightime as she would simply come to the side of the bed and wake me. (i did get the occasional slap of a paw in the face!)
She still wakes me most nights during 2am and 5.30am but we have not had a night accident for about 7 - 8 weeks which i think is great. We have the occasional accident during the day, usually when she is too busy playing to remember to ask to go out lol and by the time she has got to the door of the lounge she cant hold it any more lol. But i think we're doing ok (i hope)
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 10:46 PM
We've hardly at any accidents but that is because like the above posts we implemented a strict routine. As soon as she woke up we took her outside - she now asks out. During the night she will wake us to go out - she starts at OH's side and then gives up and comes and wakes me!

OH lets her out just after midnight and I'm up at 5.45am weekdays and take her out then. At weekends our son gets her up about 6.30 - sometimes as late as 7am! Which is great cos I like my long lies.

She pees on command and we know roughly when she needs to poo! Apart from the odd half hour or so she's never on her own either so I guess that makes life a bit easier too.
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:15 AM
I voted a few days as Rosie knew to wait until she was outside from the day I got her, she still wees in her crate at night occasionally but I wouldn't expect any puppy to be able to manage to hold it all night until they are at least six months old.
I've had some that could but not many.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:54 AM
inca junior is still a bit hit and miss ...great all night but even with the back door open sometimes will wee in the kitchen all the others here were clean from almost day 1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >