View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Funny that, since being at the wildlife hospital - I have seen a number of animals come in that had been shot on farmers land... Most where still alive when rescuers got there.. pigeons, red kites, buzzards, foxes, rabbits, phesants, deer all included. One farmer even refused to let rescuers on to his land to get to a reported injured deer!..
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Funny that, since being at the wildlife hospital - I have seen a number of animals come in that had been shot on farmers land... Most where still alive when rescuers got there.. pigeons, red kites, buzzards, foxes, rabbits, phesants, deer all included. One farmer even refused to let rescuers on to his land to get to a reported injured deer!..
Would be interested in the numbers of red kites and buzzards?

I'm not surprised a farmer refused access, it's within their rights, unless someone has proof of something illegal going on. Would you simply allow access into your home if someone turned up on the door step and made all sorts of allegations?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Thats probably because (if true) that the natural land for these animals is countryside! that does tend to be in most cases, farm land.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Would be interested in the numbers of red kites and buzzards?

I'm not surprised a farmer refused access, it's within their rights, unless someone has proof of something illegal going on. Would you simply allow access into your home if someone turned up on the door step and made all sorts of allegations?
Rescues dont make any allegations at all, they have no rights to do so. All they can do is respond to calls on injuried wildlife. Thats what they done, their job. I couldnt believe some one would willing turn helpers away. Maybe the farmer had better ideas for the deer. Maybe he would enjoy ending the life of a suffering animal, maybe there wasnt one..I dont know.
and no I would never refuse letting people into my home to help an injuried animal, I would be willing to welcome them on to my land and then thank them for their time, and wish them well in caring for the animal. because thats the type of person I am.

Not sure how many to be honest, only started there as a student 2years ago and now I just go back every so often to help out, and make up work experience hours.. I could try and see if they have numbers as all animals are booked into the system with the cause of rescue.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thats probably because (if true) that the natural land for these animals is countryside! that does tend to be in most cases, farm land.
are you calling me a lier?
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Rescues dont make any allegations at all, they have no rights to do so. All they can do is respond to calls on injuried wildlife. Thats what they done, their job. I couldnt believe some one would willing turn helpers away. Maybe the farmer had better ideas for the deer. Maybe he would enjoy ending the life of a suffering animal, maybe there wasnt one..I dont know.
and no I would never refuse people into my home to help an injuried animal, I would willing, welcome them on to my land and then thank them for their time, and wish them well in caring for the animal. because thats the type of person I am.

Not sure how many to be honest, only started there as a student 2years ago and now I just go back every so often to help out, and make up work experience hours.. I could try and see if they have numbers as all animals are booked into the system with the cause of rescue.
Playing devil's advocate here, but how do you know, that every single call definitely involves wildlife in distress of some sort, or is just someone who perhaps thought they spotted something, or, worst case scenario, I hate farmer Jones and so I'll report him for shooting deer, foxes, etc, because I believe that's what he does!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Playing devil's advocate here, but how do you know, that every single call definitely involves wildlife in distress of some sort, or is just someone who perhaps thought they spotted something, or, worst case scenario, I hate farmer Jones and so I'll report him for shooting deer, foxes, etc, because I believe that's what he does!

You dont know, you send rescues in the area to check it out. Sometimes when you get there no animal is in site, sometimes their well enough to get away.. as you are probs aware a wild animal feeling okies, is going to be hard to catch.. Maybe people do ring up because the dont agree with farmers shooting, but all the hospital can do is check out any reports and decide whats best when they get there if the report is true.
Also just like to add that as far as I am aware its not common for animals that have been shot on farmers land to be reported and rescued, just that its not un heard of either, and I havent been there anywhere near as long as its been open, and I've seen it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:20 AM
are you calling me a lier?
Im stating a FACT. You quoted species being on farmers land, of course they are, thats exactly the land they WOULD be on. Where I have I said you have lied, Im confused?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Im stating a FACT. You quoted species being on farmers land, of course they are, thats exactly the land they WOULD be on. Where I have I said you have lied, Im confused?
The quote you quoted of mine stated, what I had seen.. You posted in brackets..'If its true', which to me clearly indicates that you have doubts about what I was saying, and if you have doubts it can only mean you feel what I had posted was in some was not the truth... or have I read this wrong? coz I for sure am no lier..I hate liers.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2010, 12:25 AM
You dont know, you send rescues in the area to check it out. Sometimes when you get there no animal is in site, sometimes their well enough to get away.. as you are probs aware a wild animal feeling okies, is going to be hard to catch.. Maybe people do ring up because the dont agree with farmers shooting, but all the hospital can do is check out any reports and decide whats best when they get there if the report is true.
Also just like to add that as far as I am aware its not common for animals that have been shot on farmers land to be reported and rescued, just that its not un heard of either, and I havent been there anywhere near as long as its been open, and I've seen it.
Ok, well, speaking from limited experience, it's not uncommon for farmer's to ask for people too come onto their land and shoot what they regard as 'vermin' species. Now, that's not to say (as has been tried to put earlier) that these are unwanted entirely, they are just unwanted in vast numbers, and so as part of any control measures a farmer will have one or several people they know of that will come and shoot whatever quarry it is, be it crows, pigeons, foxes, rabbits etc, and depending on that, the person involved with shooting, will uses it as a training method for their dogs.

But, the aim with any such control, is to make sure there are no quarry left injured, so, what you're talking about, is very unorganised, possibly without the consent of the farmer/land owner, and people going about hunting the wrong way.
Page 17 of 51 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »