Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Having satisfaction, in knowing the job was done quickly is a little different.. Everyone should feel satisfied that their job has been done correctly - but enjoying pulling the trigger on an animal is something I cant understand, I would rather some one shot the animal and walked off not feeling anything, rather than walking off after enjoying it..
Its not different really, satisfaction/enjoyment is pretty much the same.
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I've taken Vegas with me a few times,but he's a hopeless gun dog-zero retrieving intinct coupled with the attentive span of a 5 year old,but great at driving rabbits out of high crops! Only problem is he drives them the wrong way and i'd need an AK47 to hit them...!

Muntjac are like a plague round here and because theres no closed season they're shot all year round yet it makes little difference to their numbers.Maybe i should stick in a variation for a .244
Poor Vegas, he sounds fab!!

Muntjac are increasing here too, they are lovely to eat, but their tusks are lethal. Ive heard of a few dogs surprising them on the chase (Cannock Chase) and being gored, two fatally.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Having satisfaction, in knowing the job was done quickly is a little different.. Everyone should feel satisfied that their job has been done correctly - but enjoying pulling the trigger on an animal is something I cant understand, I would rather some one shot the animal and walked off not feeling anything, rather than walking off after enjoying it..
Its the same as getting adog to kill a living animal isn't it?

I have to say I think it might be better than poison for rats but I can't see it for birds that are bred just to be shot or rabbits, hares or foxes.

rune
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
totally agree DD people who enjoy killing have no empathy for their victims
We have respect for our quarry-to ensure a quick kill.Thats it.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2010, 09:30 PM
trophy hunters who kill our most impressive wildlife for fun are depraved individuals on some sick ego trip! people who enjoy killing really do turn my stomach.

ive chosen and quoted from the words of Captain Paul Watson, co founder of Greenpeace and President of SSCS(Sea shepherd) because this is the way i feel about such people...... the full video is here but there are upsetting scenes in between the words....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvMWZ2cSgcA

These are men who slaughter for pleasure. I call them perverse death deviants and I have no apologies for labeling them as such. Killing for pleasure is a sickness, no different than child molestation or rape.

There is no sport in killing an animal from a distance with a sophisticated tool designed to inflict death. The name sportsman implies that there is a fair contest. There is nothing fair about being ripped apart by high powered bullets.

Hunters target the biggest, the strongest and the best of the species they pursue. This is behavior outside the laws of ecology. It is unnatural predation and certainly cannot be condoned by credible conservationist..s.

Hunters defend their perverse desire to extinguish life by saying it is traditional. Unfortunately many barbaric practices are traditional. However, modern day hunting bears little relation to so called traditional hunting. Hunters today are more akin to those who eradicated the bison and took only the tongues.

Hunters were responsible for the extinction of the Labrador duck, the Passenger Pigeon, the Eastern Bison, the Plains Wolf and the extirpation of the Grizzly from most of the lower 48 states. They were not only killers they were involved in the act of specicide - the complete eradication of entire species. This was not conservation.

Sometimes I think we live in such a bizarre world where advocates for life are considered radical and proponents of death are considered normal, where violence is considered acceptable and non-violence is dismissed as unpatriotic or cowardly.

Few killers question the morality of their actions. Once you have reached a stage where you can inflict cruelty and death, thoughts of morality, empathy and respect have long since vanished.

For if a killer of a deer could feel the pain and anguish of his victim or see the fawn starve because of a mother that did not return they would have little appetite for the meat.

Humans who have crossed the line into dealing death and inflicting misery have become alienated from the wonderment of life and no longer see or appreciate the magic of being alive.

Life is to be cherished, protected, defended and championed, not to be wantonly and cruelly destroyed, and certainly not for so frail an excuse as pleasure or sport
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its not different really, satisfaction/enjoyment is pretty much the same.
Its slightly different for me.. I get satisfaction in assisting the vet nurse pts animals that are badly injuried, I dont feel enjoyment watching the animals life go from its body and couldnt. If I saw an injuried mouse or something and wacked it round the head with a spayed to end the suffering, I would feel enjoyment of killing that animal..I would feel satisfied that I did whats best. Maybe you feel that you are doing whats best? I dont know and it certainly doesnt make you a bad person, I just cant yet understand it.

PS - Im not sure that I could wack a mouse around the head - for what its worth!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Its the same as getting adog to kill a living animal isn't it?

I have to say I think it might be better than poison for rats but I can't see it for birds that are bred just to be shot or rabbits, hares or foxes.

rune
I enjoy watching dogs do what they were bred to do, that I will admit.. But I certainly wouldnt enjoy watching dogs kill anything that isnt needed to be killed. Im not keen on the idea of animals being bred like that to be killed, for enjoyment - But hey we are all different arent we.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
We have respect for our quarry-to ensure a quick kill.Thats it.
nice
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well thats me then, I enjoy what I do, when I go shooting and reduce the vermin numbers on farmers land. Gives me satisfaction in knowing the animal was killed quickly and cleanly.
Why are these animals vermin?? They are just trying to survive.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
Do you honestly require and answer as to why vermin species are classed as vermin, seriously?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
Because they are either a threat to farm crops or us.Theres a huge knock on effect if all the various pest species were not controlled.One farmer i know lost approximately 30 acres of winter rape few years back to rabbits and woodpigeon so if you multiply that across all the farms in the UK if they didnt impliment some form of pest control these losses get passed onto the customer-namely us!

Rats and mice are also vermin,but i guess you wouldnt want to share your home with them!
Page 10 of 51 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »