Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i used to buy Jake cheap tennis balls which i didnt care about losing. but he always burst them within minutes so i now get him those soft foamy type ones, but they are £1 per ball... so if you lose them regularly the cost can fairly add up. i dont bother though if Jake loses a ball, coz he finds more than he loses anyway Jake is a ball lover though, and if he isnt fetching them, then he wants to carry one in his mouth while he runs around playing. the only time he doesnt have one, is if he is chasing rabbits or sniffing them out.
These ones aren't burstable, they're made of hard rubber stuff, which makes them nice n bouncy although I do have a tendency to bounce them places he can't find

Vito is happy to play with balls when there's nothing else doing, he has no interest if there are other dogs about, although if they're playing ball he'll sometimes pretend to just to play with them
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i used to buy Jake cheap tennis balls which i didnt care about losing. but he always burst them within minutes so i now get him those soft foamy type ones, but they are £1 per ball... so if you lose them regularly the cost can fairly add up. i dont bother though if Jake loses a ball, coz he finds more than he loses anyway Jake is a ball lover though, and if he isnt fetching them, then he wants to carry one in his mouth while he runs around playing. the only time he doesnt have one, is if he is chasing rabbits or sniffing them out.
That sounds like the same type we get, are they the really bouncy ones in the colours?
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Toby will only play properly with tennis balls. Solid balls are ignored, Sponge balls destroyed instantly and squeeky balls just result in coloured poo!

Even with tennis balls I take at least two and think I'm doing well if they last more than one walk! He's reasonably good at finding them as long as I get him in the vague area it was lost, but we do leave quite a few behind as well.

I buy the cheap tennis balls which don't last long but are better than the doggy tennis balls. The kong ones are good and lasting well but I only have a couple as can't afford to keep losing them.

He won't usually compete for a ball so doesn't often pinch anyone elses. I have replaced two spongy rubber balls he managed to eat before I could stop him. Luckily they were people we saw regularly so I bought some and took them out on the next walk. Both times the owners said it didn't matter but I felt better doing it.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 09:43 PM
This is something that bugs me too, although I have to say my dogs don't tend to lose their balls too much (unless Oscar catches sent of a rather nice lady mutt! ).

It's not too much of a problem for me, but as the balls I use cost £3 a piece I'm very aware of them going missing. So far I've had them for about 2 years - gotta be a record!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by LittleMonkies View Post
That sounds like the same type we get, are they the really bouncy ones in the colours?
yeah, that sounds like the ones Jake seems to prefer these ones, and i think they are the best kind. tennis balls get destroyed, and the rubber ones are too hard so i worry they will break his teeth! but these ones last, have a good bounce, which Jake loves, and arent too easily destroyed (at least not by Jake, but i know an ESS who eats hers )
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Lol, shout "Thief"

Theres no need to take a bally on a walk, theres plenty too find! Lol.

Personally (& this isnt a dig, JMO)
i dislike taking a ball on a walk, i dislike taking a ball on a walk (unless you need it as a distraction)
because i think it distracts the dogs from there walk & i find it annoying to have them walking backwards/trying to do HW/Dropping balls by my feet or worse pushing them up my crutch or bum.
If im doing a QUICK walk or a 1-2-1 walk i may take a frisbee, or a ball on rope/tuggy as a treat.
I will not throw something i cant tug also !

But honestly nexttime shout thief!!!!!!

Perdi (RIP) never was interested in a ball or any other toy in the house or garden, but could not resist another dogstoy, & always stole, of course once she had aprize shewas a cow to catch (my OHs dog not mine lol)
My OH was always really apologetic, but what would drive me mad, is as soon as we got it back to them they would throw it again........
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Had a good laugh at some of your experiences

We take the balls, bright coloured rubber ones, and I have to say we don't have a problem with anyone or any dog thieving ours, but thats down to Bruce to be honest.

He's like lightening when he ''sniffs'' anything near his ball game, gathers all three like speed of light and sits on them the girls just wait for the ''prowler'' to go, Bruce gets off his clutch and away they go again

And I won't fancy the chances of anything going to get one off him.....thats a no no in his book

Bruce carries two together too anything looking likely to try retrieving off him gets a ''two ball'' smile

But I have witnessed arguements of others over ''excuse me thats my dogs ball''
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3