Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2010, 06:22 PM

Teenagers buying puppies

Just heard of another pup going in to rescue because a 16 year old was sold it with out their parents knowing anything .. A mastiff cross by all accounts ..
A colleague whose son brought home a staff cross ridgeback which he bought via gumtree kept the dog ..but his wife sooo didnt want it ...
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't have dared get a pet without my parents permission when I lived with them, teenager or not.

That said, I can't imagine selling a pup to a teenager either. Guess it's all about the money for some people
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 11:10 PM
my parents would have killed me if i brought a dog home! although, my sister once found a dog and brought him home with the aim to keep him my dad took him to the police station though.

i did bring a rabbit home once without telling my parents, but i already had the hutch etc in the garden and although they were a little shocked, they didnt mind.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 11:13 PM
I wouldnt sell to any one I didnt consider an adult, and too be honest if your under 25 I'd expect a letter from your parents
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I wouldnt sell to any one I didnt consider an adult, and too be honest if your under 25 I'd expect a letter from your parents
That's a little excessive, imo. I'm planning on fnishing my uni course at 21/22 and having my own place asap after that. As soon as I have a home and I'm financially stable, I hope to get another dog and I'd be a little offended to be asked for parental permission!

I do however, think the legal age needs to be raised to 18 for buying any animal (I believe it is 16 atm) and this may be a reason for breeders to homecheck like rescues do. It really depends on the situation. If an 18 year old has a job and their own home (not living with parents) that is suitable, then why not? I'm not a believer that dogs needs an enormous house and garden to be happy - I think a small dog can be kept fine in a decent size flat if given the right care and attention.

The problem here lies primarily with the breeders (yet again) because kids will always try it on where animals are concerned! They don't care who the pups go to, as long as they have their cash.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Luckypirate View Post
That's a little excessive, imo. I'm planning on fnishing my uni course at 21/22 and having my own place asap after that. As soon as I have a home and I'm financially stable, I hope to get another dog and I'd be a little offended to be asked for parental permission!

I do however, think the legal age needs to be raised to 18 for buying any animal (I believe it is 16 atm) and this may be a reason for breeders to homecheck like rescues do. It really depends on the situation. If an 18 year old has a job and their own home (not living with parents) that is suitable, then why not? I'm not a believer that dogs needs an enormous house and garden to be happy - I think a small dog can be kept fine in a decent size flat if given the right care and attention.

The problem here lies primarily with the breeders (yet again) because kids will always try it on where animals are concerned! They don't care who the pups go to, as long as they have their cash.
If an 18 year old has a job and their own home then in all likelihood they will be working and out of the house during the day - that is why I think they should not get a puppy or a dog. Yes a dog can be kept in a flat (not ideal but it is done) but if you are also out at work the question needs to be asked what sort of life that pup/dog will have, given that it is on its own for most of the day.

The problem does not always primarily lie with the breeders - it often lies with the person who buys the dog. Some people are so selfish that all they think is - I want a dog and I am entitled to have one. The animal's needs come secondary.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I think a small dog can be kept fine in a decent size flat if given the right care and attention.
So can large dogs.
if you are also out at work the question needs to be asked what sort of life that pup/dog will have, given that it is on its own for most of the day.
That, imo, is dependent on owner commitment. I know a lot of people who are home all day and their dogs are basically ignored except for being fed and let out into the garden. Is that a better life than one where the dog is left while the owner works but whose owner puts in the effort to make sure the dogs needs are met?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I think that is really prejudice!!! What makes you think that someone under 25 is any less capable of providing a decent home to a dog than someone over 25?

I have owned my own house since I was 19, so if you (or anyone else) was to ask me for parental permission because I was under 25, I would be going elsewhere.
Lacemoat
New Member!
Female 

11-09-2010, 12:45 PM
What a sweaping statement...
People should be judged on their individual merits not their age, under 25 and a parents letter? omg thats really made me laugh
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Was meant to be tongue in cheek should have known better on here.
I dont sell puppies to anyone who
A) works full time.
B) lives in a flat without a garden (sorry but this is my perogative as a breeder and welsh need to have loads of fresh air or they go mad).
C) For any reason fails my rigourous interview.
And lastly I wouldnt sell to anyone I considered too young and that wouldnt depends on age but maturity.

As a breeder its entirely my decison who I sell to and to be honest you can't win on here sometimes, were slagged off for breeding then people have a dig when you state you refuse to sell pups to certain sectors.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »