01-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
there are proven alternatives to culling them
So? These other alternatives may not hold much enjoyment to some

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Oh dear oh "deer!"
You get worse

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Deer are magnificent creatures, I love to see them when we walk in the deer park, but they are ALL healthy, even our 3 legged stag is fit and healthy and has a few adoring females to his harem.

The rutting season is something to behold, when walking you can hear them on a cold misty morning........nothing better to hear or see it brings the countryside into real life..I love it.
3 legged deers do just as well .. Just like a 3 legged dog!
Nothing better (for me) than to see deer out in the wild, great animals ... I dont understand how anyone would want to harm them, for enjoyment.. Notice I dont mention controlling wild animals..Just the fact that people do these things for enjoyment or because 'its what they have always done'.

what makes me laugh is how some of you rant on about letting nature take its course and you wouldnt pick up an injured wild animals to take it to be treated, yet you will help manage them? You please tell me how thats letting nature take its course - because I for one cant see how killing what YOU see as weak, and unable is letting nature take its course
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
So? These other alternatives may not hold much enjoyment to some

You get worse

3 legged deers do just as well .. Just like a 3 legged dog!
Nothing better (for me) than to see deer out in the wild, great animals ... I dont understand how anyone would want to harm them, for enjoyment.. Notice I dont mention controlling wild animals..Just the fact that people do these things for enjoyment or because 'its what they have always done'.

what makes me laugh is how some of you rant on about letting nature take its course and you wouldnt pick up an injured wild animals to take it to be treated, yet you will help manage them? You please tell me how thats letting nature takes its course - because I for one cant see how killing what YOU see as weak, and unable is letting nature take its course
I'm not one for letting nature take it's course, I say where nature can't take it's course, because we live in a man made environment, then we should take all courses to ensure that the environment is kept in the healthiest condition possible, including any animals within it. So, how does culling the old, weak, injured, not benefit a species?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
So, how does culling the old, weak, injured, not benefit a species?
where did I say it did'nt!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 10:57 PM
where did I say it did'nt!
So how can you be against culling deer, generally, or have I missed something?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 10:59 PM
So how can you be against culling deer, generally, or have I missed something?
I don't think you have missed anything, just dont think you have read my posts.. I don't agree with people killing 'any' animal for pleasure or because its what they have always done, and the like - and can't even give (imo) a vaild reason for it..

where people post on one thread that nature should to take its own course, and then agree with managing wild animals is actually laughable..Need to make their minds up.. Either people intervene or they dont!..
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:03 PM
I don't think you have missed anything, just dont think you have read my posts.. I don't agree with people killing 'any' animal for pleasure or because its what they have always done, and the like - and can't even give (imo) a vaild reason for it..
Genuinely confused then, you are for keeping a healthy population of animals by culling, so taking out those old enough to have made a contribution to the gene pool that are now showing signs of weakness, those with deformities, illness etc, but you don't want any animals killed??
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Genuinely confused then, you are for keeping a healthy population of animals by culling, so taking out those old enough to have made a contribution to the gene pool that are now showing signs of weakness, those with deformities, illness etc, but you don't want any animals killed??
Yes course Im up for keeping a healthy population..weakness, and old age is something every living thing experiences..doesnt mean it has no quality of life left or nothing to add to the species - so who thinks its their god damn right to decide that the animal is no longer needed?? now we have gone from people 'killing' these animals to keep healthy populations, then because they cause threats to farmers and any other 'excuse' people have used on here.. I mean which is it? Is it done for farmers benefits, the species benefits, because people enjoy it? You aint the only one confused here?
Any animal born with deformities should be culled straight out - if it effects the quality of their lives.. Domestic animals included.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Yes course Im up for keeping a healthy population..weakness, and old age is something every living thing experiences..doesnt mean it has no quality of life left or nothing to add to the species - so who thinks its their god damn right to decide that the animal is no longer needed?? now we have gone from people 'killing' these animals to keep healthy populations, then because they cause threats to farmers and any other 'excuse' people have used on here.. I mean which is it? Is it done for farmers benefits, the species benefits, because people enjoy it? You aint the only one confused here?
Any animal born with deformities should be culled straight out - if it effects the quality of their lives.. Domestic animals included.
In the case of culling deer, I've posted previously on the stance of the Deer Commission, they are the ones who set a viable population, and it's then up the land owner/estate manager, to determine how they meet the cull numbers. They either sell days where paying guests shoot stags, and there are less of those to shoot than hinds because the mortality rate is higher, or they employ staff to stalk and shoot all the deer. The alternative is not to meet the cull number and the deer commission then come in and cull the required number without any knowledge of the animals involved. Which is the better alternative in this situation?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:44 PM
But im not talking deer management..Im talking people stating they are managing wildlife, but in the next breath stating they do it be because they enjoy it/have always just done it.. I dont understand anyone who would want to pay to shoot! I just dont feel some of these people have the right to choose what animals life is ended, when its ended and how..
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2010, 11:56 PM
But im not talking deer management..Im talking people stating they are managing wildlife, but in the next breath stating they do it be because they enjoy it/have always just done it.. I dont understand anyone who would want to pay to shoot! I just dont feel some of these people have the right to choose what animals life is ended, when its ended and how..
Ok, well as someone who can't shoot their own food, but is happy to deal with it and pluck, drawn, skin it and gut it etc, etc, I hope soon to have an educated and first hand account of deer stalking from the horses mouth, so to speak.

The people that I know that are involved with hunting and shooting, all have the utmost respect for the wildlife in this country, and want to maintain an equitable balance. Unfortunately, this is something that doesn't happen on it's own, and so preventative measures have to be put in place. Killing any animal is not taken lightly by those I know, it isn't a matter of going out there and shooting as many as you can, risking the welfare of the animal with a poor shot. They would prefer the quarry lived another day, than risk injury and a possible slow and painful death.
Page 16 of 51 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »