Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-12-2012, 09:45 PM

URGENT foster/rehome needed for 3 dachsunds

This comes via a friend of a friend, i believe they live in or around Birmingham. They tried the breed rescue and local rescues to no avail, RSPCA advised them to just PST!

Three dacshunds, one male aged 8, two females aged 11 and 6.
Short coats, brown for eldest female, brown-white marbling for male and youngest female. Housetrained (though constant training required due to dacshund capriciousness).
Females in very good general health, male podgy, but all will give a greyhound a decent run for its money. Eldest female and male slightly agressive towards unknown dogs but temperament improves with prolongued contact.
youngest female is fairly shy. None are cat-friendly, and they've never been exposed to any other animals than cats, so I have no idea how they'd react; same applies to children, though they are friendly to humans in general.
All three require urgent foster/rehome as otherwise they will be put to sleep on the 17th December 2012, which would be a horrible fate for three healthy dogs. Due to bereavement.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Poor dogs - hope they find someone soon.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Any chance you could ask the friend of your friend to try to local general rescues? There is RuffLuck (speak to Lisa Doody) who will do everything they can to help. DogWatch (speak with Denise Boardman) may also be able to help, if not they will be able to put them in touch with someone who can.
There is also Animal Allsorts (Speak with Teresa).

All 3 are in Birmingham - one is Marston Green (next door tot he airport), one in Sheldon (near to me, near the airport) and the other is in Castle Bromwich, about 3/4 miles away.

None of them will PTS for no reason and will rehome to other areas than just the surrounding locality - so a higher chance of being rehomed because they cover a larger area than some rescues.

They all have their own websites if you google them.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm sure a dachshund rescue would help these 3 and there is no need for them to be PTS
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Have they tried contacting the Oldies Club Rescue? Just a thought, considering the ages of the dogs.

We could foster at least the youngest one short term if a rescue place cannot be found. I would be slightly more wary of the older two since you mention they can be DA when meeting new dogs and we have a dog of our own. If this is something which I can be assured will cease once they get used to each other, we could foster all three. Other half is in agreement, we would hate to think of the poor things being PTS.

Obviously this would be subject to how they and Guinness react to each other if I brought him down to meet them. We probably won't be able to foster them long term (more than a few months) as my aunt has terminal cancer and we may well be taking in her cat when the time comes.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys, i have passed this thread along and I'll let you know as soon as i learn anything more
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Is there any news about what is happening with these three yet? If we may be called upon to foster, the sooner I know the sooner we can be fully prepared.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-12-2012, 06:44 PM
sorry for the delay in responding, i think they are sorted now - just heard they are being taken down to Cambridge, not sure if for rehoming or foster but at any rate it seems they're safe thanks very much for your offer of help, i very much appreciate it!!