Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Well let me just enlighten you before you go calling me a condescending prat. Learn how to spell before you use big words. It is spelt condescending and not as you put it, condascending.

Now if you actually took the time to think about your reply then you would of realised that alot of people get additional dogs and end up with a pack, but then realise that things just don't work out with them and then have to put them back into rescue kennels, so that dog wasn't for life was it? Believe me mix breed packs are alot more difficult to keep than single breed packs because you then have to deal with all the breed triats as well as the numbers.

If you had taken the time to read my history, you would also see that I live on the coast and at the rear of my house I'm part owner of a private beach where the public are not allowed to go.

I have 12 dogs Colin and i can walk 4 boxers no problem, all down to positive training.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Jeez someones got their drawers in a twist here

Colin I tend to agree with you mate I thought your advice was spot on,well done mate couldn't have said better than you did, xxxxxxxxx
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I do agree to some extent of what Colin said... I would wait a little longer to get another dog. but we don't know your circumstances. My grandparents had 7 dogs and they were a mix of collies and labs, they lived on a farm, and all dogs were working, whereas I live in a flat and think Shadow is enough! And what breed are you looking for? As they might not be compatible with the breeds you already have.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
i agree with your experienced advice on the age of her current puppy - thats experience talking - and you are making a valid point - but there may be 10 people in that house all walking the dogs - and for all we know they are a multi-millionaire family who live for their animals and the financial position shouldnt come into it - the thread starter offered a home to a dog - not a request for financial advice from a complete stranger.

oh and thanks for the 'all these questions have to be asked as I dog is for life' - thats cleared it up for all us stupid little people.

Heres some advice Colin, I see you posted 2000 posts in a year - my advice would be turn the pc off for a an evening if you bring yourself to - walk down your local and patronise someone you dont know to their face for a change.

Jesus what is it with some people on this forum who talk down to people who just joined.

Theres some alright people on here and theres some people who love the sound of their own voices.

'A dogs for life'..... condascending prat
This post has led to an infraction.

Please read our posting guidelines, esp the bit about not getting personal.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
I have 12 dogs Colin and i can walk 4 boxers no problem, all down to positive training.
Have to agree here, I can walk 4 no problem at all and that includes one manic weim, but the other 3 are excellent, so make up for Mad and if they saw a rabbit or the likes they wouldn't bother unless offlead, but then I rarely walk more than 2 offlead if I am on my own, I usually do 2 walks with 2 at a time or the 'good 3' and then Maddy on her own, but if all onlead they are fine, so don't really agree with that bit but I do agree that you should wait 'til your youngest is older before you get another dog, enjoy them while they are young.

I got Maddy when Dusty was just a pup and we had some major dominance issues, we did manage to sort them but only because I knew what to do, not blowing my own trumpet here but I know for a fact that a lot of people would have rehomed at least one of them in the situation I was in back then. They did have to be seperated for some time and are still never left together unsupervised.

I thought that with the size difference and the earlier maturity of the dach vs the later maturity of the weim that we'd be ok but my weim developed behavioural problems from being attacked which led her to challenge the other dogs for dominance at every opportunity at an earlier age than normal (9 months as opposed to 12-18 months) and so sparked off the trouble between them, and it's things like that which can happen which you cannot second guess in hindsight.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Colin has rescued dog's and keeps Dobermen, I think your post is very rude, he was giving a life assement, of his experiences, and his opinion on what the op asked. What is it with you? you got at Patch last week about how many posts she has, and if youre here along time and posting each day we are going to clock up lost's of posts, catch yourself calling Colin a
condescending Pratt is a personal post and against posting guidelines and I will report this post.

well said ZB
Originally Posted by dollyknockers View Post
Dont you think the insults are an uncalled for reply , Colin is offering very good advice to the op , It does not in any way deserve your rudeness , Colin dogs are very well trained ,The original poster would do well to take on board Colin advice agfter all he is speaking from a lifetime of experience , From owning Rotties anmd Dobes two very powerful breeds xxdk

I have reported your post for going against the forum rules , By being rude and offensive towards another member
WELL DK

Originally Posted by random View Post
Have to agree here, I can walk 4 no problem at all and that includes one manic weim, but the other 3 are excellent, so make up for Mad and if they saw a rabbit or the likes they wouldn't bother unless offlead, but then I rarely walk more than 2 offlead if I am on my own, I usually do 2 walks with 2 at a time or the 'good 3' and then Maddy on her own, but if all onlead they are fine, so don't really agree with that bit but I do agree that you should wait 'til your youngest is older before you get another dog, enjoy them while they are young.

I got Maddy when Dusty was just a pup and we had some major dominance issues, we did manage to sort them but only because I knew what to do, not blowing my own trumpet here but I know for a fact that a lot of people would have rehomed at least one of them in the situation I was in back then. They did have to be seperated for some time and are still never left together unsupervised.

I thought that with the size difference and the earlier maturity of the dach vs the later maturity of the weim that we'd be ok but my weim developed behavioural problems from being attacked which led her to challenge the other dogs for dominance at every opportunity at an earlier age than normal (9 months as opposed to 12-18 months) and so sparked off the trouble between them, and it's things like that which can happen which you cannot second guess in hindsight.
Firstly,, colin your advice was good, second nickyboy,, your being very rude more so as its not your thread,,
the next thing,, NO WAY would I walk four dogs the reason being if some dog flew at my {PACK} which is what it is lets face it,, I wouldnt be able to hold four dogs at once,, SO I guess breed plays a part, strength of the breed,, how much damage could be done if something attacked my dogs

MY DOGS are NOT dog aggressive but that doesnt mean they will not meet an out of control dog that is aggressive, then find themselfs in a situation where they are under attack,, so four for me alone is a NO NO

thats all assuming the OP is going to walk them ALL together she poss like myself will walk them two at a time,,
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2008, 06:27 PM
I walk all six of mine together, but as you say that is after training, but my point was that with the ages of the OP's dogs and as Random has very eloquently put thinks can go very wrong between them.

Constance training is the key to which ever breed, and how many dogs you own. But you must take things slowly.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Have to agree with colin.....as an experienced dog handler I think Mixed pack breeds are harder to handle due to individual breed traits. I own a Single breed pack, but if we have our son's dogs (amounting to 8 in total) being different breeds that can come with it's problems, and not because of lack of training either, just different triats.
And also I am a none lead walker.....I carry mine in my pocket or round my neck, but if like Colin I had land or a beach I owned I wouldn't bother to take leads at all.

But having said all that I wish the thread starter all the best in thier search
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 06:31 PM
The OP has not logged in for several days - I hope the way the thread was disgracefully hi-jacked to disrupt the excellent advice which was being offered has not put her off
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-06-2008, 06:44 PM
i know youre all jumping to your mates defense - but the point is this - you think i am being rude - i think he was.
You know jack sh*t about the person who joined this forum and said they are offering a home to an unwanted dog.
They didnt ask for your opinions and they certainly didnt ask you to assume they needed them just because they dont have as many posts as you.
They was advertising a home, not asking for help. For all you lot know they have more dog experience than the rest of you put together and they may have had a pack of 25 dogs in the past and reduced the size to raise a family and now have time to build their canine family again.
Maybe they had their own opinions that it would be easier to bring in another dog when their staff was 6mths rather than 2 years and maybe less friendly to other dogs ( not saying i agree but in hindsight even i drew my own conclusions ).
Why bring money into it and why give someone the unwarranted pep talk about dog walking. I mean hey Colin you dont know them, maybe they are all experienced dog handlers and can handle more than your six dogs and do it better than, maybe they could give you some of your own unsolicited advice at how stupid and irresponsible it is to not even take your leads with you when walking on the south downs ( people there usually or not - its a public place have a lead with you six dogs is a lot different than 3!! )
Its a thread offering homes - not seeking advice from anyone - theres lots of other threads for that - that person already has done the responsible thing by going to the dog loving community to offer a home, not ask for advice. They have been a member for less than a month and you know nothing about them.
And dont tell me about Colins credentials - "When I take them along the beach first thing in the morning and last thing at night I don't even bother taking their leads with me. The same goes for when I take them over the South Downs." - going somewhere without leads - sorry i dont care if you can talk dog like dr doolittle thats irresponsible and lesson no.1 chums
Amazes me how you all close ranks cos I point out some of your comments are unwarranted.
You all just love the sound of your own voices, way beyond your love for the common theme of this website .i.e dogs. Show respect to someone who wants to join your site and more importantly for all you know has knowledge and unquestionable intentions.
Take a breath for five seconds for you feel the need to patronise and talk down to people.
Colin - you got lovely dogs mate and I hope they dont become victims of failing to follow your own advice when over the south downs - lots of 'dog people' have perfect control of however many dogs they have, but have the presence of mind to know having a lead with you at all times shouldnt just apply to built up areas - just a tip.
Theres a lot of good intentioned people on here - but theres an awful lot of people who are on this forums to preach and patronise not share and enjoy - dont discourage new people from sticking with it and making this site even better.
Apologies for the sarcasm Colin - I got the idea from someone who corrected my spelling.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >