View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 12:11 AM
I know; it's pretty awful when looked into, isn't it? I'm another one who has gone down the raw/natural route for my dog and don't use any commercial dog products now, even treats, and hope that I will do the same for my baby when the time comes.

Well not raw meat obviously, but home-cooked stuff.
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Whats the BARF route?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
Whats the BARF route?
Oh that's a huge can of worms you've opened up with that question!

BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) was set up by Dr. Billinghurst when he realised that dry commercial foods were causing a lot of the ill health seen in pets.

http://www.barfworld.com/

RMB Diet (Raw Meaty Bone) - Was started by Tom Lonsdale after he fell out with Dr Billinghusrt over how the diet should be followed! Basically Billinghurst believes veges should be included Lonsdale doesn't!

http://www.ukrmb.co.uk/index.toy

Basically I've taken bits from both as I do believe that dogs are omnivores and therefoe should have veges, but I think the BARF diet includes too much RMBs!

It's probably more complicated than that, but I'm still a beginner so you might be wise to wait for someone more knowledgeble to come a long!
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Ah.. so not some kind of forced bulimia then
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
Ah.. so not some kind of forced bulimia then
Er no!

But that is what I think of everytime I hear that phrase!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Oh that's a huge can of worms you've opened up with that question!

BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) was set up by Dr. Billinghurst when he realised that dry commercial foods were causing a lot of the ill health seen in pets.

http://www.barfworld.com/

RMB Diet (Raw Meaty Bone) - Was started by Tom Lonsdale after he fell out with Dr Billinghusrt over how the diet should be followed! Basically Billinghurst believes veges should be included Lonsdale doesn't!

http://www.ukrmb.co.uk/index.toy

Basically I've taken bits from both as I do believe that dogs are omnivores and therefoe should have veges, but I think the BARF diet includes too much RMBs!

It's probably more complicated than that, but I'm still a beginner so you might be wise to wait for someone more knowledgeble to come a long!
and then there is just raw feeding! *yay* which wasn't started by anyone and is what dogs have been doing since they were wolves
Allyson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Wainrights I have heard is pets at home own brand but just in different packaging.

Also you might find this interesting

Just thought I would share some information on the UK offenders....

Nestle Purina Petcare

Brands - Bakers Complete, Felix, Go-Cat, Gourmet, Pro Plan, Purina One, Vital Balance, Winalot

2003 - Nine Beagles were kept in isolation for 15 weeks, and their diets changed every 3 weeks. This experiment had no relevance to the care of pet dogs, and caused diarrhoea and distress from social isolation.

2002 - 48 Labradors were kept caged in a laboratory for 15 years (unless death occured sooner). The dogs had their food intake restricted on various levels over the years, until some dogs were being fed half the amount of others. The dogs were weighed weekly, and xrayed annually. Some dogs were starved and injected with glucose, before having 5 blood samples taken in 2 hours, every year. Some of the dogs involved wighed 26% less than others. The lowest body weight was 22kg (on a dog supposed to weight 34kg).

Hills Pet Nutrition

2003 - 36 kittens were kept in isolation for 13 weeks, starting when they were 9 weeks old. They were fed a diet designed to stunt their growth, and weighed an average of 56% less than a normal healthy kitten.

36 cats were divided into groups and fed diets with different levels of sodium. The cats were isolated in small cages for 4 weeks.

18 kittens aged 9-11 weeks were isolated and confined to small cages for 26 days to research sodium requirements.

42 puppies were fed zinc-depleted diets for 2 weeks, causing severe crusting on face, lethargy and anorexia. The pups were then split into groups and fed experimental diets containing various levels of zinc. One group of 6 puppies were intended to be kept on a zinc free diet for 36 days, but the test was cut short as the zinc deficiencies had such severe results. At the end of the experiment, the puppies testicles, canine teeth and dewclaws were removed for analysis.

Proctor & Gamble

Brands - Iams, Eukanuba

28 female cats under the age of 9 months were artificially induced into kidney failure. This was done by surgically removing one kidney and damaging the blood supply to the other, leaving only a small portion still functioning. 2 of the cats died during surgery. After surgery, all the cats were isolated and confined to be fed experimental diets. All showed signs of ill health. After 12 months, all the cats were operated on again to remove the remaining kidney and subsequently killed.

Walthams

Brands - Pedigree, Royal Canin, Whiskas, Caesar, Sheba, Trill, Excelpet

Walthams carry out research at the Walthams Centre for Pet Nutrition in the UK (you know...the one they make look like a great place in the TV ads?) They house hundreds of dogs, cats and birds at the centre, of all breeds.

Whilst Walthams claim their research involves only mild or non-invasive procedures, this has been proven to not be the case in investigations & studies. Dogs & cats have been caged for life and kept in isolation for up to a year on poor or experimental diet regimes, resulting in ill health, irreversible damage, psychological damage and death. They have done extensive research on greyhounds, and kept them in isolation cages smaller than recommended by UFAW. Cats were kept in complete isolation for a year and fed only 40kcals per day!

All of the cats and dogs housed at Waltham are kept in artificial, kennel environments for almost their entire lives. All of the procedures endured by cats and dogs at Walthams, regardless of their individual severity level, constitute regular and totally unnecessary veterinary intervention, of the type that responsible pet owners are advised to keep to a minimum so as to not overly stress their pets. It is not necessary to induce disease or euthanase an animal in order to cause it suffering. The animals are also kept solely for the purpose of experimentation, in whatever shape that may be, to help make profit for a commercial pet food company.
Ruffles
New Member!
Female 

11-09-2006, 06:45 AM
I was told canned meat was about75percent water some time ago. Does anyone know if some MPs have been tryingto ban pet food someone told me there was a few things like thast by mps but dont know if itsjust people gossip?
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2006, 08:33 AM
It's not just pet food that is high water content, human food is as well if you choose to buy 'economy'. Ham can have up to 20% water in it, and cooked chickens have been 'basted' before cooking. Any prepared food you buy that's ready to eat contains water, otherwise it would be dried up and inedible (it's just not declared on the pack!)
A sense of proportion is required. If you don't want to pay for water, feed a quality dried food and put your own water, free, in a bowl beside it!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi,

I thought this link would be of interest to people interested in feeding ethical dog foods.

www.iamscruelty.com

It amazes me how these companies advertise how healthy and happy their food makes our animals when such cruelty is going on behind their doors.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2