View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Hemorrhagic diarrhea/gastroenteritis - anyone experienced this, my Eds has it!! :(

I had to rush Eds to the vets last night (Sat nite). He had been vomitting all eve and I was really worried. Well they initially thought pancreatis but the tests were negative so have diagnosed the above he is on a a drip and is doing better this morning thank goodness!! I may be able to take him home this evening!!

The vet doesn' t know the cause, he had eaten some cooked tripe - doesn anyone know if this can cause it?

Anyways if anyone can give me their knowledge/experience that would be great thanks!

Emmax
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-01-2011, 10:14 AM
I am sorry no ideas but wishing him well and I hope you can bring him home today.
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks Lyn, I have never been so scared he got ill so quick!! I am so glad I didn't delay and took him, the vet said he very likely would have died if I hadn't
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Yes tbey go down very quickly with it. Had a dog years ago that took it. If you suspect dodgy tripe i wouldnt give it again although sometimes it just happens

Hugs from us
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I've had experience of this in the past. They dehydrate very fast with the loss of body fluids and he's in the best place and being on a drip will slowly replace the loss of fluids.
It isn't always a food related thing, it can also be airborn, the dog who I had that caught it had nothing different foodwise than the others, the vet thought she had picked it up perhaps on as a walk (in contact with another dog who had it)how they get it isn't really the problem ...more how soon veterinary treatment is sort....and looks like you did exactly the right thing.

All the best and I hope he's up and about soon. The vet should advise a diet for a start before he goes back onto his own food again
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi Emma , HGE usually involves bloody diarrhoea as well as vomiting and it can be very scary to see. I have had a dog with HGE, Mini Schnauzer are susceptible to the condition. The main thing is speed, getting the dog onto a drip to help support the vital organs.

The cause isn't completely understood and there are thought to be a number of things which may be contributory factors including viral and bacterial infections.

When Eddie comes home his tummy will need time to recover with a bland diet and frequent small meals of just a tablespoon of food at a time. I find the best thing for this is boiled rice with white fish, Coley is good and not too expensive, it can be bought in most supermarket freezer sections in blocks of 6 pieces. I cook it in the microwave .

I hope Eddie is better soon..
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Just got back from seeing him heis heaps better, still on the drip and has had methadone for pain - poor boy, but there is a very good chance he may come home this evening, (fingers crossed).

Thanks for everyone's great support, its really helpful, and I dont feel so alone.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Oh poor little thing - as you say good gthing you took him to the vets when you did. Hope he is home soon and on the road to recovery. xxx
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh blesss him. I'm so glad he's feeling better. Hope he comes home tonight. best wishes to you and your fur baby xxxxx
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Give him a hug from us Em! He's a tough little guy he'll bounce back in no time. xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >