View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 08:19 PM
There ar some amazing book aimed at children of his age that deal with th subject.I will try and find a link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Forev...ref=pd_sim_b_4
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Glad to hear it might not be necessary yet, but in my experience (Wife's Mum died a year or two back. Our son was 2-3 at the time.) be honest! They're children, not stupid! They'll pick up something is wrong.

I like the previous suggestion regarding explaining death/dying as the body getting old, tired and worn out. You might not be religious but there's IMHO no harm in introducing a bit of 'spirituality' by saying Grandad/Grandma etc. will always be watching over them.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 08:41 AM
thankyou for all the replies, sadly although he was getting better he took a turn for the worse last night and is now on full life support, my hubby had just driven back friday night and had to drive back down late last night. They are speaking to the Doctors now, and I expect that there is not much hope now.

I have everything crossed that he will rally, but after listening to my hubby in tears on the phone to me, I suspect he really is very very bad.

I have just told Luca that Grandad is in hospital not well and will tell him more once we hear from the doctors.

Feel so bad for my hubby and mother in law that am not there to give them a hug.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Something I have just thought of-be careful where you tell your child about someone dying.

I read a true story about a little boy who died in a freak accident as he hanged himself on a swing rope. The parents told his young sister when she was in her bedroom and she had nightmares every night for a while about it and they said they felt they should have told her somewhere else?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 06:47 PM
I am so sorry to hear your sad news.
My husband was tragically killed trying to rescue our children's pony that had been stolen. My children were aged 4 and 6 years old and thought the world of thier Daddy.
My advice is tell the truth, don't make up any stories. There are kind ways of putting it. I can't remember the worda I used now but I made them understand it was not thier fault but Jesus needed him to help in heaven.
The worst thing you can do is say he has had to go away so they think he will be back. That will just cause long drawn out pain over months and they will find out you were not honest with them and they need to be able to trust you.
Hugs to you all.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 07:56 PM
hi all

again thanks for your kind words,

Sadly he passed away this afternoon, my hubby and mother n law had to make the very hard decision to end his life support.

My hubby is in bits and I cant give him a hug.

I told Luca this evening, I hadnt planned to, but he asked when Grandad and Daddy were coming back, so I told him

I told him the truth that he had got very sick and the Doctors tried very hard to make him better but that his body was very old and tired and just couldnt carry on. I explained like that as we had a conversation a few mnths ago about when "bruno would die!!!" and he actually said to me its when you get very old.

He was very accepting of it, and asked lots of questions about what would happen and if he woudl go in the ground and bless his wee heart was actually quite excited that Grandad would get a gravestone that he could read ( he likes reading them in the local cemetery as they are very very old)

If only its a easy for the rest of us to accept something like that.

I feel better for telling him and it saves his Daddy having to get upset if we did it together etc

So all in all a very sad day for us. He was at peace and free of pain, and in that respect its not a bad way to leave the world.

Rest in Peace Graham.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hi all

again thanks for your kind words,

Sadly he passed away this afternoon, my hubby and mother n law had to make the very hard decision to end his life support.

My hubby is in bits and I cant give him a hug.

I told Luca this evening, I hadnt planned to, but he asked when Grandad and Daddy were coming back, so I told him

I told him the truth that he had got very sick and the Doctors tried very hard to make him better but that his body was very old and tired and just couldnt carry on. I explained like that as we had a conversation a few mnths ago about when "bruno would die!!!" and he actually said to me its when you get very old.

He was very accepting of it, and asked lots of questions about what would happen and if he woudl go in the ground and bless his wee heart was actually quite excited that Grandad would get a gravestone that he could read ( he likes reading them in the local cemetery as they are very very old)

If only its a easy for the rest of us to accept something like that.

I feel better for telling him and it saves his Daddy having to get upset if we did it together etc

So all in all a very sad day for us. He was at peace and free of pain, and in that respect its not a bad way to leave the world.

Rest in Peace Graham.
So very sorry to hear your news. My deepest sympathy to your mother in law husband and family..
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I am so sorry to read the sad end to this thread. I hope that your husband comes home soon so that you can give him that cuddle which will be sorely needed right now.

You clearly did the right thing with Luca and it just shows how resiliant and accepting young children are when given the facts in a way that they can understand.

My sympathies to your husband and yourself
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 10:40 PM
My deepest sympathies to you all

Sending huge hugs, & hoping that your OH is home very soon.

Bev xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Our deepest sympathies Danni, our thoughts are with you all xxxxx
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >