View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2009, 08:55 AM

Toilet Problem (incontience due to medical condition)

My 12 year old black lab/collie is on medication for an infection, they make him very thirsty and he drinks bowls full of water all the time. At night he will wet in the kitchen 2 or 3 times during the night, has anyone else had a problem like this and any ideas on what to do.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi Samantha it can be a difficult problem, having an elderly dog which is incontinent through illness.
Have you discussed the problem with the vet, what kind of illness is your dog being treated for. In certain circumstances there are medications which can be given to help incontinence

One think I would never do with this kind of problem is to try to restrict fluid intake.

You could try restrict you dog to a small area of the kitchen with something like a puppy play pen and of course make sure he has plenty of opportunity to relieve himself last thing at night. A short work rather than just going out into the garden can help with this. The scent of other dogs will stimulate your dog scent mark so there will be a better chance he will be 'empty'.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply, Charlie is being treated for a swollen pancreas and also a very bad skin problem around his private areas, he has been on medication for approx 4 weeks, the vet said the latest medicines would make him thirsty, he drinking bowls full of water all the time but the accidents only happen during the night and luckily in the kitchen. He goes back to the vet on Friday this week so i think i will mention the problem as its happening every night.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Good luck for Friday - I hope the vet can suggest something.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Good luck for Friday - I hope the vet can suggest something.
Thankyou appreciate your message very much