View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 11:06 PM
good for you .RP .I have had 3 phone calls todays about pups that I haven't even had yet...mum only mated 10 days ago LOL word soon spreads
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
good for you .RP .I have had 3 phone calls todays about pups that I haven't even had yet...mum only mated 10 days ago LOL word soon spreads
That just shows you're doing things right though, people must be recommending you!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Personally - in my quest for a pointer - I have no intention of looking in papers (and from what i've seen i wouldn't find one in papers anyhow) I will visit many breeders - go to shows - travel around and spend hours chatting about everything. Only when I am 100% happy with the breeder and they are 100% happy with me will I take a pup that i am 100% happy with.

i have made my feelings on this matter clear. Yes - I do think breeders that advertise in admart and freeads are irresponsible - certainly i cannot agree with it at all - and if/when I breed many years in the future - i would never advertise this way. I would have a website and word of mouth alone. If that doesn't rehome pups - then they stay with me and I never breed any more. If that makes sense.

Anyway - it's all personal ethics - but mine are that i wouldn't touch a breeder that advertises this way.

xx
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Like Inca says it's quality that's important. This is the type of breeder I would go to.

We are currently on waiting lists for another terrier, due early next year...

I think the people who are prepared to put research, time and patience into buying a pup, are the ones who will make good homes. Not the ones who google "mastiff puppy" on December 20th and end up at the free ads
The Charmed One
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-10-2005, 02:15 AM
Hi i dont agree nothing wrong with the free ads i have just been on ad-mart and seen this ad.
The puppies will be Kennel Club Registered, Insured, Tattooed, Parvo Vaccinated, Vet Checked, Temperament/Character Assesed. They will leave us with puppy food & a puppy pack. Both parents, grand-parents can be seen.Both parents DNA tested Clear for VWD so all puppies will be Clear.
Help & advice allways from a long standing breeder who is also a Kennel Club Accredited breeder.
This breeder is very well known and you would have seen them at every show not going to give there name but it goes to show big breeders do use the free ads may be they had a list and only have 1 or 2 pups left you dont know but you can not call the quailty of the pups just because they are bought from the free ad
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 06:20 AM
personally I dont think it really matters that the ads are in a free paper or a paid advert as long as the people approaching you for a pup are properly scrutinised I know from experience that one VERY well known breeder advertises everywhere even has visa and access accepted and shows dogs and could not give a s....t where they go or who buys them we have proved this over and over again by the amount we get in to re-home with the same affix so its the good homes that count not where you advertise
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 06:52 AM
I think perhaps some people are missing the point a bit i don't think it matters whether you pay for the ad or it's free - it's the advertising that bothers me - not how, where or how much it costs. Personally, I think advertising shouldn't be necessary. If you are a good breeder - the breed group will give your name to interested parties. if you are a good breeder you will be able to build waiting lists from word of mouth. If you are a new breeder - you should be in touch with old breeders anyway - and also part of the breed club, so you will also get reccomendations. I just don't see how advertising can be allowed - it';s not a great step up from selling pups in petshops. Most people who would buy from the freeads aren't in it for the long haul. They don't do the research, they just say on a whim, oh, lets get a puppy. Ok - granted not all people do this. i know that some people here have offered very responsible homes to dogs from the freeads - but it encourages impulse buying and that shouldn't be the case. it also gives easy options to puppy farmners and irresponsible breeders to advertise - which they shouldn't be allowed. If this kind of advertising was abolished (which i personally think it should be) then I think we'd see a certain decrease in certain types of breeders - because they wouldn't have an outlet any more. And that can't be a bad thing.

Just my opinion though.

xx
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 07:08 AM
well I have to agree with you that a good breeder should have recommendations ie word of mouth and a lot do. but when some breeders have litters week after week where do all the customers come from and this is what they are customers, very well known breeders in the show world advertise time and time again litters. what should happen is that there is a restriction to the amount they can register in a year and at least this may stop the amount they pump out for the cash and thats all its for and this may stop the need to advertise in the way they do as well
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 07:16 AM
yes i was going to say something similar but at this time of the morning I couldn't form it into words! I think breeders shouldn't breed so much if they can't home all the pups. The simple fact is that if there's no demand one shouldn't supply - if that makes sense. Take chinchillas for example. We used to breed them - but there is a massive rescue situation now - and joe public thinks he can make a fast buck out of them cuz the petshops sell them for £100 on avge. in this area. What that meant is that finding a GOOD home for the last litter we had was impossible (we had several offers but I wasn't happy with any of them) and we ended up keeping them all. I think that's the way breeders should be. If they can't find homes, they keep the pups. And then stop breeding.

xx
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 09:17 AM
ive not had a chance to read this last page, but can i just ask..

wouldnt it make more sense for reputable breeders to charge less for their dogs than all the inbred ones that are sold in papers? Wouldnt that mean then that more people would therefore be able to afford a well bred healthy puppy and there wouldnt therefore be alot more healthy puppies inthe world? surely if good breeders arent in it for any money, then they could therefore lower the prices?
I dont think a person with lots of money is any more likely to look after a pup better than someone with not much money. Or make them any less commited

i would have thought this would urge people to buy well bred puppies rather than being forced to buy one cheaper with possible health problems.

dont know if that makes sense or not! but not everyone has loads of money to spend on a pedigree dog and many of the well bred dogs are very expensive. Just because someone cannot afford to fork out £600 odd quid for a puppy does not mean they are not able to afford to look after one.

re: advertising in papers.. i do think a reputable breeder should have waiting lists, but i dont see the problem with good breeders advertising. Many first time owners dont know how to find the good breeders and will naturally look in the papers anyway. Yes, there are many bad breeders advertising in papers, but there are also many bad breeders who advertise with the kennel club too! and even by word of mouth believe it or not
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >