View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Yes Saz I too have found pets from the freeads - I know some good homes look there - but not all of the people that look there can provide good homes - and I personally would be worried about rehoming any of my animals that way - whether they were rescued or bred. jmpo.

xx
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 09:09 AM
i am a breeder and the creator of the northern inuit,and were as i have not advertised for years, when are breed first begain i was putting adverts in every paper possible and that included plenty of free ads,i done this for about three years wether i had pups or not[the purpose beeing was to get the name northern inuit known].but thrugh these adverts i got the breed well known and several good people intrested in the breed and producing good quality puppys today,as well as very good pet owners some of which you have on here. again my point to this is theres nothing wrong with advertising wether it be a free ad or paid for so long as you get the right home for pups at the end of it.
theres a lot of good breeders advertise ,dont condem them for it
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 09:13 AM
never adverised like CC will never plan a litter unless i have homes already lined up
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Teagan is from a free-ad.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Quote Zounds: "Any breeder worth their salt in this day and age should never need to sell pups this way. I can understand why it might have been done in years gone by - but technology and transport these days dictate that it shouldn't happen. Good breeders will have a waiting list before they even breed. And good breeders breed for themselves - and not to satisfy public desire".

Sorry but I don't see where "technology and transport these days dictate that is shouldn't happen" - whats that got to do with it? With todays technology its more than likely that breeders will avail themselves of the free ads available online and with transport nowadays its possible to travel miles to get the pup you want.

Personally I don't need to advertise my pups and I do have a waiting list - but within the Northern Inuit Society if a breeder gets an enquiry from someone wanting a pup when they don't have any due, we will point them in the direction of pups that are available and also their nearest breeder (some people do prefer to wait for mine, but they are given the option of getting one sooner from someone else).

I don't have a problem with advertising in any free publication, its the buyer thats needs vetting not the advertising media.

I agree that reputable breeders don't need to advertise as their good reputation is spread by word of mouth and example. However, there is a big difference between a reputable breeder and a responsible breeder. Everyone has to start somewhere and a reputation is something that is earned - good or bad! A breeder can still be responsible but also need to advertise the fact that they have puppies. I know someone who has just bred her first litter and she will need to advertise the fact, but the Northern Inuit Society gives a lot of help and advice on responsible breeding and will help new breeders in every aspect of rearing a litter responsibly. We will then help them get a foot on the ladder by putting enquiries that we receive in their direction - we are not all out to grab a monopoly of the market.

Also, if the public isn't aware of the location of breeders then they will naturally look for advertisements. Of course, "Showing" is another advertising shop window - but thats another debate!
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Ok, my input is, i have done well with my dogs and have many enquiries, many of which came via my guestbook , but i tend not to sell pups to show homes unless i feel i know the person very well, also i have breeding restrictions in place and a lot who contact me are wanting a bitch from me to breed, i am lucky in that ive not placed adds for a long while, but if i felt i wanted to cover a bigger area than those working in show circles i would, not every good prospective pet owner knows the difference between a well bred puppy and a back street breeder, so if you make yourself accessible you can help or at least offer advise, at the minute im not planning to export anything so my homes come from the uk, and i want to find the very best available
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by juliekelham
dont know admart, but dont think it matters were you advertise so long as your paticular were you pups go to,its alright saying you should have a waiting list for puppies, so you have a waiting list of eight people and then have a litter of ten pups, dose that make you an irresponsable breeder

well sai8d totaly agree
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2005, 09:55 PM
i advertise all my pup on ad mart and some news papers and why shouldnt i have the right to advertise were ever i wish is up to the breeder were he advertise s his puppies, know reading all the answers alot of DW members have bought loveing pups from ad mart or pups advertised in news papers it dosnt make you a bad breeder just because you advertise on certain web sites or papers no matter how mutch you vet the new buyers home and ask as many questions you still dont know if that puppy will have a good home even if you have a waiting list or not
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Hmm, I can't really answer this properly cos I don't breed but out of personal preference I steer well clear of the free papers. To me the sort of people that look for dogs in there might not be totally commited, so I'd worry about the pup changing hands a lot. Plus the free ads make me sad, people wanting to swap a dog for a playstation is a sad state of affairs I think.

But like I said I don't breed so my opinion might change one day, but I think I'd rather advertise in the local papers just incase. Nothing wrong in advertising in papers, just not keen on the free ones.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 09:58 PM
I won't feed this debate too much.... all I will say is that when i decided I wanted a WFT I worked bl**dy hard and rang about a million people.... eventually I came across Archie's breeder who was shocked that a complete stranger knew about her newborn litter, as she had only told one person.

The hard work paid off... and I got my lovely, healthy, pretty pup with the best temperament I could hope for Something about this leads me to think that if I had bought the first WFT pup I came across in the free ads I would not be so happy about it today
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »