Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:38 AM
What Meg just said - that.

I haven't changed my opinion. Reinforced since finding out this has been going on for years now.

Unlike some here I do not believe EVERY dog is capable of being turned round, rehabilitated, changed into a suitable family pet etc.

No more than I believe every human is capable of being transformed from a violent criminal, murderer, thief whatever - however many are - there will be some who are hopeless cases. WHATEVER the reason is thought to be for them being as they are. They are what they are and we are where we are now with them as they are.

This dog is a danger to OP if not anyone else these days (unlike in the past) and OP has stated they no longer 'enjoy' owning the dog. Quite sensibly in my view wouldn't want it to go to another family.

She's seen a behaviourist half a dozen times now and nothing has changed. What will it take for some people to believe that this dog is not a suitable family pet?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't think you can carry on like this, it's becoming very serious if you ended up in A&E with a hole in your arm. I don't think I'd be putting much store by your behaviourist either to be honest and yes I know it's a minefield trying to find one that talks sense. I would have contacted the person Wysywig suggested who has experience with Mastiff breeds. I do wonder if your in denial somewhat because you kept it quiet about how badly she bit you, she's not messing about and whether she means you harm or not, she's putting you in a very risky situation and it's very well your OH and his son not wanting to consider pts but they're not on the receiving end are they. I think they might well change their tune if it was them in A&E with a hole in their arm. Put yourself first and decide what you want to do and then do it.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Can only echo what others are saying, and I agree with Tang not all dogs or humans can be changed. As the behaviour carries on it becomes less and less likely it can be changed too.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2013, 02:41 PM
I believe the biting is probably not play but some sort of anxiety. She clearly can exercise some bite inhibition when she chooses too.

I am not sure what to suggest really. I think if it was my dog I would probably bite the bullet and have her PTS, I know it will be painful for you and your family but not nearly as painful as her biting and hospitalising someone else and having her PTS via a court order.

Good luck to you. xxxx

Originally Posted by freckles211 View Post
Hi All

Im sorry if i came across angry or rude in my last post. I just felt that i was being got at. Whenever I have posted on here it has been for help. I know this is a serious situation that is why I am seeking help. The last time she bit me I needed to go to A&E as I had a whole in my arm. The nurse said is was quite deep & I had to have anti- biotics & steri strips & a sling. I have to say this has frightened me greatly. However to get to the point, I now have a behaviourist coming & next Monday & will be our 6th session. She has been doing great & I have been so pleased with her. Then on Thursday of this week we practised with someone knocking on the door I was OK with this as we have done it before. Well.....unfortunately when i tried to put her in her bed she bit me on the arm again. Thank god she didn't break to skin but I am bruised up arm again. The trainer then got someone else on door so he could see what happens. As she heard the knock i did what he told me to do, but no she bit me again. I dont get it!

I have changed my thinking to Dog, not human. I have been reading up on Wolves as he suggested as he works with the dog being very similar to the wolf. Even if we muzzle her it (in my eyes) makes her worse. She then jumps up as she knows she can't use her teeth.

Not really sure what to do. When she grabs me its very much like rough play, tug of work on my arm/cardigan. I'm finding this very stressful now & even though I beleive this therapist has down some good, I am wondering if something is going on inside that we dont know about.

I still have not ruled out PTS but my partner & his son both said no they didn't want that. I have tried to explain what she is like when she does it & that it is not their arm that is slowing getting battered all the time. I dont want her put to sleep, I definately am not rehoming her as I would be scared who she would end up with & how they would treat her. So part of me thinks being PTS would be best option. I do think if she ever got me on the floor when she is biting me what the hell would happen. It is not enjoyable owning her. I have had 4x dogs in total, a Collie X & JRT who have sadly gone to Rainbow Bridge & at the moment I have Kixi & a JRT. I have never had any problems with any of my dogs before & Im wondering if Kixi can be helped or should I do the deed?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm American and I cannot offer you any advice at all on a behaviorist, unfortunately. I'm not an expert on dogs and have never had one of my dogs, or a foster, or a stray, or really anybody else's dog bite me.

I can say, though... that if a dog bit me, and especially if it was my dog... I'd take immediate action. The muzzle will keep the dog from biting you, but with a large and powerful dog you could still be knocked down and injured by a thrashing dog. This is where you'll want to avoid the agitated dog and give her time to simmer down.

My dogs can get worked up sometimes and when this happens, you want to put space between them. And lots of it. This dog has been showing aggression since the age of 6 months old. It seems somebody went severely wrong with the dog, unfortunately.

IMO, a behaviorist should have been sought a long time ago according to your posts. Now you've been bitten multiple times by the dog and I have a feeling this will only get worse.

It's kind of bothering me how you keep saying you're "putting" the dog into places. Are you getting a leash and leading her there by force or grabbing her collar and "dragging" her? Or are you guiding her there with a treat, etc.

The fact that you say you're thinking like a wolf makes me question your trainer. The first thing they should have made sure of... is that you DON'T adopt this wolf/dog mentality stuff. But instead he's reinforcing this mentality. NOT good.

His methods most likely won't help you, as they haven't. You need to seek out positive reinforcement... not pack theory, wolf mentality "rubbish". The fact that you've endured multiple bites from this dog shows your love for her, and I think you're doing everything you can.

But I don't think you picked a good trainer at all. He sounds like Cesar Millan and his methods can be very harsh and I tend not to like them. He punches dogs, and kicks them... like just punches them and kicks them on T.V. where everyone can see. Since when did punching dogs make them LESS aggressive/fearful??

I HATE putting healthy dogs down. Like I'd NEVER EVER recommend it because I don't think it's right. But your safety is very important and so is the happiness of the dog and your family. If that cannot be achieved... then maybe putting the dog down is the best way to go.

Re-homing the dog is a very bad idea IMO, unless you can find someone who understands her problems and is willing to take a huge risk and try and sort through them. Not very likely, most likely.

The dog has a (rather long) history of biting and the dog is a large and powerful mix of breeds. These problems will occur again and cause someone else as much grief as it has caused you.

At the end of the day... only you can decide what is right. You're the one being bitten, and you're the one having to deal with the dog on a day to day basis. Remember to not let your partner or his son forget that.

So sorry about this situation
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 06:56 PM
This dog is in fear of its parameters. It doesn't know what is expected of it and so fights its way out of a situation which makes it feel vulnerable. This is a very unhappy dog and for its own sake should be PTS. It would be the kindest thing for it. Freckles, you must love it terribly to have it spayed and try all the things you have to sort it out but the dog is so confused now the kindest thing would be euthanasia. I feel so sorry for you and the pup.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Just realised you have a Staffy cross, these are very sensitive dogs and SHOULD NEVER have the pack theory used, as you are finding out you dog is getting worse not better. My Staffy is a problem when someone comes to the door, I get him to sit or down, I keep asking for it as I get out of the room and close the door so be can't get to the front door. It is getting easier but if 2 come close together he does go backwards because he is still stressed from the first one.

I NEVER touch him or get hold of his collar, I suspect he will bite if I did. I found getting someone to practice with made him worse not better because his stress levels never got the chance to go down while practising and that is very important because a dog can't learn when stressed.

Think about yourself when you are stressed, do you take in what others are saying? I don't and most people don't it is the same with dogs.

Put a house lead on him, you will be able to hold him in safety unless he is so bad he re-focuses his agression then you have to be very careful.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Mattie, I thought she said the dog was a Presa Canario/Mastiff cross? I didn't see her say Staffy. Maybe I missed it?
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Mattie, I thought she said the dog was a Presa Canario/Mastiff cross? I didn't see her say Staffy. Maybe I missed it?
You could be right and I have the breed wrong, I am high on painkillers at the moment, doctor has just changed then to mophine ones.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2013, 10:11 PM
I really feel for you, Freckles. I am so sorry you have reached this crossroads.

When you're changing your thinking to Dog, Not Human-- be really careful when you substitute wolf for dog. They are not the same. They don't have the same pack hierarchies. They don't have the same ways of interacting with each other or with humans. No matter what anyone says, there's a hundred studies saying otherwise; I'm just saying what I have learned. Treating a dog like a wolf can lead to a very confused dog, and vice versa.

When you talk about rough play, you remind me of the worst behaviour my Akita has ever exhibited. He would leap up, bite at arms, legs, faces, anything he could get at; cardigans and coats were pulled; skin was broken. The solution proved to be to shut the play down. Ignore him. No eye contact, no touch. If he kept jumping up (bear in mind that I am doing this with two others strapped to me) keeping a firm grip on the halti, with no eye contact, no words whatsoever. Game Refused. Wait a few minutes until calm resumes. A few times it needed a few repetitions, but it worked. No alpha rolls (senseless in a dog his size; he'd roll me easily enough), no smacks, no pain. Gentle encouragement once calm is restored. Good luck to you!
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >