View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-05-2009, 06:39 PM
One of my Beagles had a terrible recall upto a month ago. The wife phoned me at work in tears because day after day Jez wouldnt come back, tried all the treat thing,in the end bought a citronella spray dog collar. With the first walk all i used was the beep mode on the collar and he just stopped in his tracks, i shouted "this way" looked back at me trotted over gave him a treat and now all i say is "THIS WAY" and both dogs run back.It worked so well i dont even put them on the lead when i get back to the carpark they just jump straight in the boot of the car. I would strongly recommend a collar its completly changed our walking expereince.They will still run after dogs and play but it just gives you that confidence that they will stop and come back when asked. Neither of the dogs wheres a collar now.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 06:48 PM
I was thinking about those collars so it is good to hear of your dog's positive response to them. Are you saying you never used the spray but just the beep?
SamRottLabb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I need to have faith in myself.
She is 17 months now and an extremely independent dog.

You do, sometimes I used to get so frustrated. I would possibly try the treats with recall and as Heidi1 said it may take a long time but you will get there

However if you feel that she would be better off with the other dogs in the farm then don't feel like you have failed if you decide that is the better option. At the end of the day it what's best for the Tala.

I really do hope which ever you chose it all goes well for you
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I only had to use the beep on Jez on the recall but my rescue Beagle Roman eats other dog poo so i had to use the spray on him because he would keep on chomping with the bleep. Now and again he will still do it but as soon as i say leave what ever is in their mouths they spit it out, incredibly this could be old fish or chicken bones found on the beach
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Spray collars are more a last resort really when everything else has failed and they must be used correctly. Some dogs will be frightened by them and some will end up ignoring them. Hence I put my faith in good knowledgeable training which may only be found via a good trainer to help. I know a few good trainers in Yorkshire, one who has many GSDs so if you want I can find their info?

Pm me if you are interested.
I hope they will be able to help,however if the problem runs deep and in your heart you do compare her with your other dogs it may be difficult because IME the relationship is key/crucial to recall and pretty much anything else. I wish you were near to me because I enjoy working with this kind of problem.

Wys
x
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2009, 07:38 AM
If you want to keep on working on her recall, I would start from scratch in the house, then garden, then without distraction etc. etc... USING a NEW word for calling her.

Try to do a treat test with her... I do that with 3 different items, like liver, cheese and sausage... The one eaten first is the best... Make a note... Then do another 3 items... and do this a third time... Now you have 3 very good treats, test those as well, and you have her very best treat...

Soft treat such as yogurt or peanut butter you can use a spoon.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Grilled liver... treat of champions.. he he!

T recently burnt his chin stealing the sutff after I took it out from under the grill and left the pan on top of the cooker to cool then nipped to the loo (school girl error!)

If he knows liver has been grilled all other food is refused until he has some (i cooked it once one morning before work = breakfast untouched, dinner untouched and he spent ages after his walk in the evneing dancing between the kitchen and me on the sofa until i went into the kitchen to see what he was after and he did his bouncy wriggle thing by the closed grill! Got some liver then ate his dinner!)
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm afraid liver, cheese and chicken and ham etc etc just don't appeal enough to Tala. We did have a bit of success with pig's ears at one point but not any longer!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm afraid liver, cheese and chicken and ham etc etc just don't appeal enough to Tala. We did have a bit of success with pig's ears at one point but not any longer!
Double post again ... don't know what is wrong with me today!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 12:11 PM
How about slices of roast beef? Have you thought any more about your dilemma?
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >