Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Yes I think you are right and I think the problem stemmed initially from being unable to interact with her in any way when we were outside. And now the recall problem has compounded the issue. I certainly don't have the relationship with her that I had hoped for or that I had experienced with Tess. I don't even have as good a relationship with Tala as I had with my goldie who could be very stubborn but who loved to play with balls and frisbees and so could be trained reasonably easily.
I have tried not to compare her to my last shepherd and indeed that was part of the reason I didn't want to get another Foxfold because I was worried that whatever dog I got would not match up to Tess. But obviously I have been doing that without realising.
If I were you, I would think long and hard about what you are hoping for from owning a dog and if you truly (in your heart) feel that Tala and yourself are not bonded and that that situation is unlikely to change, then perhaps it would be better for both of you to start again. It certainly isn't fair on Tala if you feel she cannot match up to your old Tess, and she will pick up on that. I mean this in the nicest possible way, because I can imagine the heartache you are going through trying to make the best decision for everyone.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm afraid she lives a long way away. 6 hours travelling in fact!
Hmm yep, a bit far for daily walkies then I wish you lived closer to me, as I would love to have Tala come and run with my lot.
SamRottLabb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Talassie,

So sorry to hear about your problems with Tala and her recall

Where about's in Yorkshire are you?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I am in York.
SamRottLabb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I am in York.
Aww such a shame you weren't closer

I had simular problems with my Lab. She had terrible recall when it came to meeting other dogs on walks, no matter how much I shouted her it was as if nothing was coming out and she was oblivious.
And I can totally appretiate that this can damage your relationship with them as you feel useless so to speak and that they aren't bothered about you - I know I did.
What I found really helped (as someone else has suggested - sorry forgot to look who ) using something (food wise) that she is really interested in and recall her back to you when there are no dogs about - make yourself appealing to her, and repeat this through out the walk (not too many times tho ).
Once I had mastered this and got her coming back to me I taught her 'wait' command which I say whilst walking which means walk with me closley to heal. Admitadley it took a fair few times to get this when other dogs were about as it was just so tempting to go great the other dogs but I did as a reward let her greet the dogs once we'd got closer and established the owner was ok with it.

How long does it take to recall her once she seen something and run off?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by SamRottLabb View Post
How long does it take to recall her once she seen something and run off?
It depends. If she is with dogs she knows then she often won't come back at all to me and I have to get someone else to get hold of her. Even with strange dogs she has been allowed to play with she can just join the other owner and go off with them. But sometimes she will come back if the other dog is put on a lead. She is unpredictable.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2009, 06:27 PM
How old is she? Some dogs are just more independent than others. Mine has no recall and has to be on a long line all the time unless in an enclosed place.
I found as he got older he got more interested in me and treats on walks, but when he was younger other dogs were so much more interesting.
It can take a long time, with toys and treats, but you can get there.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I have had similar problems with Takara at times. I've laid in bed wondering if it would be better for her to be with someone else but when push came to shove I couldn't ever have done it.

I had to do a lot of rebuilding with Takara after she found me too unpredictable (depression etc) for her to get too close to me. As I speak she's cuddled upto my side as I've been for a hospital procedure today and she's stayed with me all day. We now have an incredible bond and recently were at Crufts for the Friends For Life comp. She goes everywhere with me to help me with my physical disability as well as anxiety and during a recent hospital stay, my parents said she never stopped waiting for me to come home.
I never thought we'd get to that stage when she was younger and we didn't 'bond'.

Sometimes, however - we still have training issues. I got the book 'Control Unleashed' by Leslie McDevitt, which if you haven't read it, may help. It takes out all of the conflict between the handler and the environment and means you can use your dog's environment to train your. Some of it's common sense - some of it is pure genius!

Eddy can't be allowed offlead his recall is non existent - even with other dogs around. It doesn't mean his relationship with me isn't good. He enjoys walking alongside me on the lead and I can make it longer if he wants to go for a sniff. He absolutely loves his cuddles with us and nothing makes me think he's not happy with us.

I like him to go offlead so we go to places like tennis courts and basket ball courts which are enclosed so he can go offlead.

Do you have an indoor riding school anywhere nearby? Sometimes they will hire out their premises for dog owners to use. I know a group of people with greyhounds who, as ex-racers can't be allowed offlead so they take them to an indoor riding school and let them all run together. Perhaps you could do this with some friends?

Of course if you really feel, deep in your heart that you can give her up and that she would be happier at your friend's house then perhaps that would be for the best if she has somewhere to go where you can keep in touch and ensure she's ok.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Heidi1 View Post
It can take a long time, with toys and treats, but you can get there.
I do hope so thanks for your support. I need to have faith in myself.
She is 17 months now and an extremely independent dog.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I have had similar problems with Takara at times. I've laid in bed wondering if it would be better for her to be with someone else but when push came to shove I couldn't ever have done it.
It's reassuring to know you have struggled with these issues and overcome them.
I do have Control Unleashed and I will look at it again.
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >