Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
Sorry mate, what does this mean?
It means that we see a "prison" a Dog doesnt, he doesnt know what a prison is, we are putting human emotions onto the dog and assuming they think like us.
Dawn.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
That's the thing, they look like prisons to us, but for some dogs it will be the first safety they know.

Most certainly it is not perfect living for the dogs, but where I go they are kept clean and are well cared for by the staff. I upset myself sometimes thinking of them locked up all night especailly the ones who have been there a while, but again it is probably better from most of them there, than wherever they have lived before, (not all of course I realise people have to give up their pets for many reasons).
Youre right Sal, a bed, a bowl of water, some food and a fuss is all a Dog needs. he will manage on that till he finds a home.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Youre right Sal, a bed, a bowl of water, some food and a fuss is all a Dog needs. he will manage on that till he finds a home.
It was me that posted I agree, plus a bit of love to go with the fussing I think
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I work in a rescue. re the barking. thats what happens when many dogs are in a kennel. dogs bark. its nature.
re the smell of urine faeces and disinfectant in an indoor kennel with many dogs. dogs poo, dogs wee, staff clean it up. so the smells are not indicative of anything other than normal inevitability.
yes, dogs do not know the concept of a prison.
its true dogs can be fine in a kennel if they get nice food water and attention...
but its wrong to assume that they dont suffer from long term incarceration in the same manner human prisoners do.
dogs, no matter the quality of the dily attention etc, do develop kennel stress, stereotypical behaviours, withdrawal symptoms, and emotional/mental/physical illness due to kennelling over extended periods of time.
just as humans do...so in that sense, dogs do have a concept of prisons'.
i have seen it countless times.
having said that, that isnt the fault fo the rescue, that is the fault if the person that gives up the dog.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
I work in a rescue. re the barking. thats what happens when many dogs are in a kennel. dogs bark. its nature.
re the smell of urine faeces and disinfectant in an indoor kennel with many dogs. dogs poo, dogs wee, staff clean it up. so the smells are not indicative of anything other than normal inevitability.
yes, dogs do not know the concept of a prison.
its true dogs can be fine in a kennel if they get nice food water and attention...
but its wrong to assume that they dont suffer from long term incarceration in the same manner human prisoners do.
dogs, no matter the quality of the dily attention etc, do develop kennel stress, stereotypical behaviours, withdrawal symptoms, and emotional/mental/physical illness due to kennelling over extended periods of time.
just as humans do...so in that sense, dogs do have a concept of prisons'.
i have seen it countless times.
having said that, that isnt the fault fo the rescue, that is the fault if the person that gives up the dog.
great post, totally agree
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
It was me that posted I agree, plus a bit of love to go with the fussing I think
Sorry, I knew it was you Janet, dont know why I wrote Sal.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Definately agree dogs get kennel stress, some dogs display this behaviour after a very short time, long term must be awful for them.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I volunteer for the RSPCA, I help out once a week, normally on a sunday, I arrive about 9/9.30am and help with whatever cleaning needs doing. After the cleaning is done the staff go on their dinner and I take a dog out (how much time I have determines how many I take out).
The staff are always friendly and don't mind me spending time hugging the baby bunnies
I downloaded the application form online sent it off, they called me for a interview (very informal chat), got 2 references, went for a induction and that was it!
At the moment I can't afford to help financially so giving my time is the best I can do!

With regards to the actual site, the noise can be deafening (I'm used to noisey dogs but this is nothing like that!), the dogs are cleaned regularly so don't smell, they have toys and yes it may look a bit bleak with the concrete floors but at least these animals have a chance at a happy ever after.

I am also going to be homechecking in my area for them, going for the induction for that this saturday
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 09:27 AM
I agree Krusewalker, dogs suffer from stress in the kennels, it upsets me to see the "longtimers".
There are a few in the centre where i go comig up to a year, and quite a few more that have been there for around 6 months. As you say it's nto the fault of the shelter, it's cos so many are unwanted and abandoned by people who just can't be bothered. (again as I said before I realise some people have to give up their pets for genuine reasons)

Poor things, it always seems to be the bigger ones that are there the longest. No the wonder they become so attached to the kennel staff.

As Tegs-mum says, at least they all have the chance of a happy ever after home, just wish it would come sooner for some
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2008, 05:22 PM
I agree 100% that dogs suffer from kennel stress, this is why its imperative to rehome the dogs as soon as possible before it takes its toll on the dogs, some long timers, get taken home by the staff on temporary foster to give them a break, and its heartbreaking to see a dog that is going downhill because of the stress of being in a kennel.

Mo
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >