View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 09:19 AM
We got our Missy from Battersea and our experience was nothing like that.

We went through the shop to the reception area where two people were greeting and we were told we could either go look around the dogs or take a ticket from the dispenser, fill in a form whilst we waited and have someone interview us when our turn came up.
We plumped for the second option.
After our interview - we made our way to the rehab section and I can honestly say my easily offended nose was not offended by any such odours.
We chose the dog we wanted and although no-one from rehab was on site to talk to us, they sent for them and we waited maybe 30 mins. They couldn't have been nicer to us.
In fact, we didn't leave until 6.30pm - way past their closing time - they were so very accommodating.
We had to come back for a couple more visits, so they and we were sure we really did want this particular dog. On every occasion we were treated really well, and the staff were friendly. There were quite a few who met us, and Missy even got a tearful farewell from them on the day she left.
I can't speak highly enough of Battersea.

oh, and here's the best girl in the world ( I might be biased )
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
We got our Missy from Battersea and our experience was nothing like that.

We went through the shop to the reception area where two people were greeting and we were told we could either go look around the dogs or take a ticket from the dispenser, fill in a form whilst we waited and have someone interview us when our turn came up.
We plumped for the second option.
After our interview - we made our way to the rehab section and I can honestly say my easily offended nose was not offended by any such odours.
We chose the dog we wanted and although no-one from rehab was on site to talk to us, they sent for them and we waited maybe 30 mins. They couldn't have been nicer to us.
In fact, we didn't leave until 6.30pm - way past their closing time - they were so very accommodating.
We had to come back for a couple more visits, so they and we were sure we really did want this particular dog. On every occasion we were treated really well, and the staff were friendly. There were quite a few who met us, and Missy even got a tearful farewell from them on the day she left.
I can't speak highly enough of Battersea.

oh, and here's the best girl in the world ( I might be biased )
Don't get me wrong, the staff at Battersea are fantastic, but you have to admit that the place does look very much like a prison.

Three floors with kennel after kennel in little blocks.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Oh Colin, yes I did think prison the first time I went. But then, you know what, when we were toying with the idea of going to America, I toured some private kennels to see which I would feel comfortable leaving Missy in.
Compared to those, Battersea was like Buckingham Palace!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I know I shouldn't advertise on here, but if you ever had to put Missy in kennels then you really couldn't do better then putting her in Cranfield kennels in Wickford.

http://www.cranfield-kennel.co.uk/
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Having worked at Battersea I have to say I don't think it is anything like the OP described! Yes the kennels have bars and yes they have concrete floors but they are large-scale kennels, they need to be able to be easily cleaned. It can be noisy, especially at feeding times! Every dog in each block is walked at least once daily, either by kennel staff or volunteers and given 'chill-out' time in the yard areas which are out of the view of the public.
As for toys, dogs are usually given toys under supervision-it reduces the number of foreign body removals needed to be performed! Others are given stuffed kongs where appropriate.
Staff do as much as they can to provide all dogs with environmental enrichment and stimulation.
As for the volunteer scheme, Battersea has a dedicated volunteer co-ordinator who arranges meetings and induction sessions for anyone who applies to volunteer with the home.
As for the 'Three floors with kennel after kennel in little blocks'- Battersea is limited by space and every single one of those kennels is always full, with three more dogs waiting for that kennel. Without those 'prison' kennels, those dogs would either still be on the streets or in a council run kennel with a 7-day limit hanging over their heads.
Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, I know Battersea isn't perfect but it makes me so angry to see people criticising the work they do, we never turn a dog away!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Pinklizzy I'm not criticising Battersea because like you I think they do a fantastic job under the circumstances.

It just that the building it so outdated, and in this day and age I can't for the love of money work out why they have never moved to a more suitable location.

Lets be honest they have absolutely no room for expansion, and taking in consideration it's location right next to the bridge it is prime real estate which would sell for an absolute fortune and then enable them to buy and have built something alot more suitable for its needs.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Sorry Colin, I do tend to get a bit oversensitive on this issue! I don't know whether Battersea will ever leave that site altogether but they have spent a lot on expanding/re-building parts of their satellite kennels in recent years which allows them to send dogs out to these sites.
They are also expanding parts of the kennels at the main site, anyway, I'll stop hijacking the OP's thread!
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Have been to 3 dogs trust rehoming centers and must say they were nothing like your description, then went to a private Boarding kennels/rehoming center, that was 20 times worse than you described, in fact my mum who came with us left the private one crying it was that bad.
LittleLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys.
Now where to start?

Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Was you describing Battersea?

Because if was, then you are spot on.
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
...B'ham dogs home is like you experienced...
I am sad to hear you have had similar experiences which reaffirms that there are more out there like that.

Originally Posted by pinklizzy View Post
it makes me so angry to see people criticising the work they do, we never turn a dog away!
Whilst my only experience has been a real disappointment I meant no criticism at any particular organisation, but I simply can not compliment the staff I met. I work with the general public as my job and appreciate that at times it can be very frustrating and people don't always portray themselves as they usually would. However the attitude wasn't from a particular person or group, it felt more instituionalised that this. The uncaring theme and atmosphere was from ALL staff we met, as we observed them interact with the dogs, other staff, ourselves and other visitors. We overheard other less flattering comments from other visitors who also felt disgusted with the staff also.

I do commend the work and ethos of organisations like the RSPCA, dogs trust, Blue Cross etc and there is such a high level of demand for them. That simply does not excuse poor practice or areas deemed lacking in certain aspects and hopefully any employees/volunteers at such organisations will read all replies and implement constructive steps towards resolving such issues. I do not believe anyone nor myself for that matter is out there to slate the work they do, but given the responses it seems they could do more.

After reading everyone's responses I think we will persue doing volunteer work as we had intended, but probably look for recommended ones instead. I found our last visit too heart-wrenching to risk visiting the same or worse. I'm still unsure of what the process is for becoming a volunteer.

Any recommendations?
Do you work or volunteer for a particular centre?
What's the best route to become a volunteer?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 05:49 PM
you sound like you might be able to become a foster carer for dogs - not having one yourself and with the possibility of things changing in the future with your oh's job - this would be the perfect way to ease a dog into your life - many breed rescues and rescue centres are crying out for foster carers ( for those dogs that are unable or not suited to kennel life ) and i dont really think a second floor flat would be a real problem for many centres.

i had dog walked for dogs trust and foudn them very good, and i know that our staffie rescue up here always needs fosterers ..

good luck
d xx
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >