Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LittleLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2008, 06:01 PM

Are all Rescue centre's like this?

Hi All,

Now I would love to own a dog right now, but I put my sensible hat on and know now is not the right time.

My husband is wanting a dramatic career change, he's had enough of working 9-5 in an office and would love to work outdoors especially with animals . He's currently has the luxurey of taking time out from work to assess his options. Now he'd really love a job working with dogs but has no experience, unless you count having friends and family who have dogs and have let you walk them. So he has set about getting some hands on experience which led to our visit at a rescue centre .

Last Saturday we visited a large dog rehome/rescue centre and I just wondered if they're all like this? We went on the email invitation to 'just turn up and someone will show you round and tell you how you can help'. So we did. Now neither of us had ever visited a rescue centre before, all our knowledge and expectations had been from TV. Well it's a large concrete block which, quite frankly resembles a prison, and your opinion is not swayed on entering. There is a large sweeping reception desk with no less than 8 people stood behind, chatting, jangling keys and paying little attention to your arrival. Finally someone looks down from behind the reception and addresses you, followed by the other 7 pairs of eyes analsing your every move! My husband explained the reason for our visit (I spoke to Mr X about doing some volunteer work here and he said the best thing to do was pop down and whoever was here would sort me out) which was met with exchanging looks of bewilderment between the 8 before finally someone else broke the awkwardness with "would you like to have a look around?" reply "yes" reply "well just follow the corridor round and all the dogs are through there". So off we trott down said coridor and through big solid door. The next few things to hit you all at once are the smell, the noise and the continuation of cell block H. The smell is the worst. The smell is an overpowering mix of dog poo, dog food, urine, and something else which cries to all your natural instincts to get out now, get out, flee! The sounds are almost deafening barks from all size of dogs which are sporadically broken by silence or a staff member shouting at the dogs to be quite plus the additional sound of excited children. The walls of the atrium are gloss painted concrete blocks or bricks of the colour white predominantly but also red and green. The floor is red gloss painted concrete. The ceiling allows in natural light via a meshed skylight and there is further artificial lights. The dogs are housed in several wings, each in its own kennel. There are about 10 kennels per wing. The walls and floors of the kennels are a continuation of the main atrium themes. There are metal mesh doors to view the dogs through. Each dog has its own bed and waterbowl and as we arrived at feeding time most had foodbowls of food. Few toys were visable, most appeared to have none. They had continuous access to an individual outdoor space not clearly viewable to the public. The outdoor space was roughly twice the size of the indoor space which was about 4"X6". With one exception no information is about the individual dogs housed is provided at the kennel space and the staff, busy with their feeding routine couldn't shed any insight. Instead each kennel is numbered and many have signs on the kennel doors warning staff not to enter. We view each of the dogs in all open wings and feel the emotional drain if you look into their eyes .

So back to the sweeping reception desk with still 8 people behind (though some are new faces to us) and we approach the same staff we spoke to earlier. We ask if it would be possible to walk one of the dogs, which to our surprise is greeted with a yes and they proceed to read the reports they have on her which don't tie-up with our own brief assessment but never-the-less we continue. That is until we reply that we live in a 2nd floor flat. This is met by a sigh, and "you can't have any dogs from here, we don't rehome unless you have continual access to a garden, a ground-floor flat would be okay." and that's it, they didn't want to know us, as good as turned his back on us. Stuburn thing that I am asks if we could take the dog for a walk anyway, which is met with a testy response stating that it would only upset the dog and goodbye .

Now I know I paint a less-than-glowing picture but I'm sure they're not all like this, but we found it such a distressing experience is put us off approaching others. For the simple fact that if they are like this I'd rather not know.

What have your own experiences with rescue/rehoming centres been?

Is ours unusual?

Do you work in a rescue/rehoming centre and are there set pathways for volunteers?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2008, 06:06 PM
I remember once enquiring at the local RSPCA branch years ago with regards to volunteering only to be told they didnt need any! That response perplexed me as such establishments are always crying out for volunteers!

None of the rescue's I have visited have been how you described and all staff have been helpful. I'd try another one...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Each one I`ve been to has been different - some better, some worse (yes, it can get worse). Some have dogs in foster homes as well - no central Kennel, - and some board dogs. You should continue to be stubborn, and phone round first, asking their policies and explaining your circumstances. Good luck with your search, and please don`t let it put you off. If you could indicate what area you are looking in, perhaps someone can suggest a rescue.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Hello Littlelady, and welcome to Dogsey
I can't answer all your questions, I can only tell you of my experiences of a rescue centre in my neck of the woods, that I support.
The reception area is away from the main kennel block and animal pens. It takes the form of reception and a shop raising funds for the centre.
The staff are always welcoming and friendly. When we pop in to see them now with Mo they make such a fuss of her as if they remember her, although with all the animals they deal with, I doubt if they do really
Volunteers are welcomed with open arms and I don't think an offer to walk is ever refused.
Your description of the kennel block, although bleak, is probably pretty representative of most kennel blocks through necessity. Not all abandoned dogs are house trained and therefore soil their kennels.
All the kennels at the centre I support have posters on the door giving a brief history of the dog and the type of home and new owners most suitable for that dog.
I feel really sorry you have had a bad experience. Maybe living in a second floor flat isn't ideal, although some dogs are suited to it more than others.
I'm glad you recognised the fact that now isn't a good time to rehome a dog, but the time will come and I wish you well.
Make sure you let us know when you do get your dog and let us see some pictures!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2008, 07:05 PM
We got our dog from Dog's Trust in Darlington. It's a really nice place with clean kennels and helpful staff. We had a lot of help and support from them and they will be there to help us for the rest of Bryan's life.

Maybe you could find out if theres a Dog's Trust near you? I know they are always looking for volunteer dog walkers (I'm a foster carer for them).

HTH x
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Was you describing Battersea?

Because if was, then you are spot on.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2008, 07:39 PM
birmingham dogs home is the same in fact i can think of a few that are all the same ,if you havent been in one befor ,lots are like that ,it very basic just feed and rehome if the dog is lucky . never the less i found the bestest lovely girl and best friend in one of those kennels

meet willow from birmingham dogs home

dont be put off there is hundreds of willows sitting in there kennels as we speak
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm a volunteer dog walker. The shelter I go to is quite large and always full of dogs of all shape and sizes. Sure there is barking ect, but the staff there are always friendly. They each have their own block of dogs to look after and they become quite attached to their charges. I stick to the same block as i feel it helps the dogs to get to know people, noone minds you asking questions/showing interset in the dogs. There are quite a few voluteer dogs walkers at my shelter, a friendly bunch who all like to have a good chat about our doggy pals there.
They always more than happy for the dogs to be walked. We are lucky as we also have a field for them to run free in, they have such fun (in fact they pair up some dogs so two can go in together).
I think you have had a bad experience, surely it would be better for the dogs to be walked even for short periods than to be stuck in a kennel all day. If I were you I would have a look round for another shelter, I;m sure others would be more than glad of your help
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Like you I went to volunteer at our local cat and dog home in the summer between uni
I had some time and needed the exercise and Rolf Harris had said these places were always looking for dog walkers
In I walk - not even let into the bit with the animals but the woman on the desk was scathing 'OUR volunteers, if they pass the checks come in twice a day to muck out the animals, only the staff get to walk the dogs' Now I understand that they cant let just any dog out with anyone but most people who volunteer dont have twice a day every day!!

Fast forward to last summer at dogs trust and I went in for a look and came away with a puppy!! and the place was fab, sure barking but no smell and fairly clean (of course some dogs not housetrained but they were cleaning all the time)
and I later found out that the dogs you see is only 1/2 the thing - there are loads more who are not ready for the people parade so they have more peacfull kennels

I would say find another place
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I agree with Queenwillow...B'ham dogs home is like you experienced...we got Dillon fro there, my son's BC... and I don't know about today, but RSPCA kennels were appauling (when I worked for them) the smell was evil, which a mixture of the disinfectant
They had a 'B' Block which housed dogs not suitable / ready to home, which had green mould crawling up the walls.
When I was leaving they had plans drawn to pull it down and rebuild, but then they said that about the cattery and did so, turning it into a bigger disaster than before they started....cow-boy worker, cost saving exercise....and them with all that money. But that was many many years ago so who knows.
However I have been to the Blue cross and was very impressed as with Canine defence, and to the rescue Foster home where Bruce came from...all very clean and knowledgeable, and interested in YOU as potential owner, alot though will not home in flats but having said that some will.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »