View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2007, 04:59 PM
in our breed,in which a male can weigh anything up to 18 stone,it would be irrisponsible to allow him and bitch free running with a strange bitch,and we do try and support the bitch,ie,bale of straw or suchlike as they are usually so much bigger/heavier than the female,have heard of torn ligaments,ruptured nether regions,terrified biches/males,where one or the other has taken a mega dislike to the other and have done a full on attack,we never do an actualy forced mating,but have heard stories from people who have seen them,and it is not something I would ever put one of my girls or boys through,ours is not so much forced as, well supervised,on leads to meet etc,but no rough play as that can lead to an attack,I absolutely adored the husky asleep piccie,but if we allowed one of our males or the female for that matter do this,then we would probably end up with damaged dogs purely due to the height and weight of each animal involved,
I think maybe each breed is quite different,
Wendy
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Wendy, I understand the problem with giant breeds and know you have to avoid injury and I don't see this as a problem but it's where the bitch is not happy to accept the dog but she is forced to that i have a problem with. We are lucky, with Sibes being such a natural breed that they are fine to play around for a short while before actually getting down to business. I remember a case a few years ago where a Bull mastiff collapsed and died while she was having a forced mating.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Although I know very little about dogs being mated, forcing the dog/bitch to mate is concerning me. It sounds horrific, this is the part that is worrying me
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2007, 07:07 AM
oooo forcing bitches to mate is not a new one,sorry to say,
but have heard some horrific stories in my breed,and I for one do not condone it,bitches being left overnight with complete strangers,because the owner did not want to see their little girl mated,whereupon,stud owners so determined to get a frightened dog mated,have muzzled her and had four strangers hanging on to her,this owner went back to same stud owner three times,same thing each time,the bitch has never reared the pups,but owner has to hand rear,and each time the poor thing has to have c-section,now thats blooming cruel,my boys and girls do get to flirt but supervised,if the bitch is adamant she is not to be mated then the owners go away,must admit we will try for a few days to see,like with my own girl,if she is just not quite ready,but thats as far as forcing goes with mine,trouble is when money is involved it brings out the worst in people,sigh
Wendy
littlelab
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Diane has replied to the questions and debate this has thrown up on the original thread, you are more than welcome to read them, it may put it all into context, but I don't know if I am permitted to add the thread of another forum so please MOD's remove if not allowed, but it may explain better than me cutting and pasting out of context
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2007, 08:58 AM
AI is actually quite interesting,in the US where most Mastiffs are impregnated this way,the owners of the studs quite often say that their males will not mate naturally,and over the generations the situation has worstened,and the males are showing no interest in the females at all,will not even mount them,and a lot of time instead of normal AI,the bitch owners are doing implants where the bitch is knocked out and surgically implanted with the sperm,making sure the sperm is inserted fully into the bitch,will try and find out a bit more about this,but it seems quite a harsh procedure,a lot also use a thing called a rack,which I will try and get piccies of,the bitches stand astride it and are kind of strapped on,so no chance of escape,whilst the male does his,um duty,
Wendy
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Good article, very true!

Yesterday I recieved this, I get several a week asking for puppies and/or stud dogs.

Dear madam.
I have a border terrier bitch and want to have some puppies, she's already had one litter, but she only had 3, do your dogs produce big litters? All her puppies from the last litter have gone, she will be in season again next month. I dont need to meet your dog or anything first, my bitch is kc reg, but I cant find the papers, I sold the pups for £350 instead of £450 because of this. I would prefer it if you had pick of litter and not a fee, but if you insisted, I would pay you when I knew she was pregnant.

Please ring me on 07 *** ******

I had an ISDS breeder wanting to use Sol the next day! His mother is a carrier for CEA and at that point I hadn't had him tested but she wasn't bothered The only test he had had was hip scoring and I had just got the results back. She rang again about a month later by which time I had his DNA results but I made it very clear that she had no chance unless hell froze over and not even then!
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2007, 02:56 PM
I've had a read through and still don't agree with a forced mating, in my opinion if the bitch refuses to stand for a dog then it's not meant to be. No matter how good an example of the breed my bitch was, if she couldn't be mated naturally then she wouldn't have a litter.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2007, 03:08 PM
A bitch was brought to Deccy to be mated, but she wasn't having any of it despite a return meeting a couple of days later. We didn't force the issue, but the bitch owner has since been spreading the word that Deccy is not up to the job. Ho hum.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Good article, very true!

Yesterday I recieved this, I get several a week asking for puppies and/or stud dogs.

Dear madam.
I have a border terrier bitch and want to have some puppies, she's already had one litter, but she only had 3, do your dogs produce big litters? All her puppies from the last litter have gone, she will be in season again next month. I dont need to meet your dog or anything first, my bitch is kc reg, but I cant find the papers, I sold the pups for £350 instead of £450 because of this. I would prefer it if you had pick of litter and not a fee, but if you insisted, I would pay you when I knew she was pregnant.

Please ring me on 07 *** ******

DITO, the other thing I get is, I really want to use your dogs as they are hip tested and have low scores and I have not scored my bitch, so to use a scored dog will add to the value, or my bitch has a high score so your dogs will even them out needless to say over the 5 years I have had stud dogs, royce has been used once, that was due to his breeder contacting me and requesting I allow him to be used on a friends bitch that he had mated once before while she still had him, second time was to my own bitch to produce hollys litter, Kaos used once by myself and once by a friend to produce the litter ASTA is from owned by BOOBAH on the forum, I must be too fussy eh, not many get the chance of my lads at stud, {too many pups out there to begin with from the so called good breeders}
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >