View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I actually found the post quite horrifying, I too have a stud dog who has had a number of litters, I would never hold a bitch to have her mated whether she's ready or not, my dog is allowed to run free in the garden with the bitch until they get to know each other once he has mounted the bitch I will then put a hand on the bitches chest to stop her moving around and then will hold them once they are tied, again to prevent them moving around. Any bitch who objected, aggressively or needed to be restrained would just not get mated. I may be lucky because Siberians are very easy to mate. 14 bitches came to my dog and 13 were mated without any intervention. One bitch objected, she didn't like him but was happy to be mated by an other dog. I would never force a mating on my own bitches and would never allow my dog to force a mating on someone elses bitch. I only charge a stud fee once the litter is in the nest.
littlelab
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2007, 09:45 PM
It was written as so may people would come on and say 'I have a dog with an excellent pedigree/good temperament/handsome etc. and I want to let him sire a litter' and Di wrote it as way to tell people its not all birds and bees and people need to see that.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 05:48 AM
I agree, I would never force a bitch to be mated against her will, and that was one part of the post I didn't agree with.

However, I don't think the poster was trying to say that it was ok or the norm, I think they were trying to get the point across that its not just a case of leave the dogs to it whilst you have a cuppa and a chat then walk away with bundles of cash for your trouble.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-08-2007, 07:15 AM
I agree with Susan that matings should be as "natural" as possible. We all assume that dogs will mate with any female and vice versa, but canines can be as choosy as people. We had one bit who wouldn't let our chosen stud dog anywhere near her, but kept trying to break into the run and mate with the dog she really "fancied."
They are like humans in other respects too. One of our boys mated this bitch, tied, and promptly fell asleep and snored with a huge grin on his self-satisfied face - I guess it's a "man thing."

Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 11:57 AM
lol the look on his face in that photo just made me laugh so much! Poor bitch though!

I thought it was very informative. Thanks for posting littlelab
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Well at least he appears to have turned first, had a dog who regularly fell asleep on the bitch & holding up the weight of a dog & bitch for nearly an hour is very hard work.
I used to take two friends always so there were plenty of us. Ties where one wants to lie down & the other won't are another battle. Holding up a dog who doesn't want to for any length of time is hard work on the knees & arms.
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I agree the original post was imformative and had some good points but forced matings horrify me. I would also like to see stud dog owners take more responsibility for the pups their dogs produce. I have worked with our breed welfare and there have been a few dogs where the stud dog owner had opertunity to help but declined, these were "respected" people in the breed. If one of my dog's offspring needed to be rehomed and the breeder was unable to home the dog themselves I would help out.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by susanatlasinski View Post
I agree the original post was imformative and had some good points but forced matings horrify me. I would also like to see stud dog owners take more responsibility for the pups their dogs produce. I have worked with our breed welfare and there have been a few dogs where the stud dog owner had opertunity to help but declined, these were "respected" people in the breed. If one of my dog's offspring needed to be rehomed and the breeder was unable to home the dog themselves I would help out.

I quite agree there, it is our duty to step in if our dogs have been used, I feel that we are just as responsible for the pups welfare and would go to any lengths to assist if anything that was sired by my dog needed help.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by susanatlasinski View Post
I would also like to see stud dog owners take more responsibility for the pups their dogs produce. I have worked with our breed welfare and there have been a few dogs where the stud dog owner had opertunity to help but declined, these were "respected" people in the breed. If one of my dog's offspring needed to be rehomed and the breeder was unable to home the dog themselves I would help out.
I think that's part of the point of the OP. Stud owners should take more responsibility for their dog's offspring. It's not about making a quick buck, it's about responsible breeding on both the sire and dam's side.
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Good article, very true!

Yesterday I recieved this, I get several a week asking for puppies and/or stud dogs.

Dear madam.
I have a border terrier bitch and want to have some puppies, she's already had one litter, but she only had 3, do your dogs produce big litters? All her puppies from the last litter have gone, she will be in season again next month. I dont need to meet your dog or anything first, my bitch is kc reg, but I cant find the papers, I sold the pups for £350 instead of £450 because of this. I would prefer it if you had pick of litter and not a fee, but if you insisted, I would pay you when I knew she was pregnant.

Please ring me on 07 *** ******

This thread is reminding me of the time someone offered to breed their border collie bitch to my male border collie... (Jenny was spayed at 6 months)

Very well done on Diane's part. Very informative.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >