Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
PONlady, Malka has stated many times that her yard is totally unfenced. And that she is not allowed to fence it.
I didn't actually know this, but in any case, the point I was making is that Pereg is open to this situation happening again, regardless of 'who is at fault', and therefore the real issue for Malka is how to protect Pereg when she's in the yard.

Maybe it's simply a case of not leaving Pereg unattended in the yard, if there's no other option?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2014, 09:07 AM
I was thinking that, and if it was me, that's what I would do, it could either be so that she still had access to the house through the door, and then a gate to outside, or if not a place where she could go for shade etc.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I was thinking that, and if it was me, that's what I would do, it could either be so that she still had access to the house through the door, and then a gate to outside, or if not a place where she could go for shade etc.
It jumped right out at me to be honest, its a perfect layout for a little fenced in area for Pereg to get a little safe outside space.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Could`nt you fence in the L shape, from corner to corner, this would give pereg some security and be allowed off the tether,
This is what I would do tbh, forget about the side and rear just create a little compound at the front where you don't have to worry about her safety.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2014, 09:16 AM
In this country and it has been for a while since I had my first dog Max back in 1997 the off lead dog is at fault. I think that is in relation too walking them off lead on public highways etc., which is illegal anyway.

We viewed a property last year with 1/4 of an acre I refused to consider it as it had no fencing back or front even though Gorden did say he would secure a space for Dillon and fence the rest at the weekends I didn't want to take the chance of him getting across the fields to be lost.
Dillon would not do well as a tethered dog he likes to wander round the garden to ease his joints and find shady spaces.

I know its not physically or practically possible for you to fence Malka but Dillon squeezed through a gap in our hedges where the chicken wire had become old to get through to see Beth and her little girl and their dog Poppy yesterday.
Firstly this is worrying as I do not want him making a nuisance of himself or knocking over their 4 and 8 year old and if they are out as it is their drive we only have access they leave the gate onto the road open that thought terrifies me. So yesterday I was blocking up any holes I thought he may be able to get through and put screening up for now till Gorden is home at the weekend to deal with it.
Trying to do that in between conifer hedging is no joke.
This is Beth and Paul's boundary but I feel it my duty to keep my dog safe away from accidentally harming children or getting lost or knocked over.
Tethering Dillon is not an option.
So I suppose at the end of the day to some point you have to take responsibility for your own dogs safety. Not always ideal and annoying if other people do not go by the rules but is the way of life.

Just seen the posts about fencing a small space for her would that be possible ? Ideal solution if you could.

I find I am up and down every 5 minutes to check Dillon is where he should be.
He is frightened of the screening so that helps.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2014, 09:28 AM
It is a very small concrete area with no shade whatsoever. And I am not allowed to put up any form of fencing. Nobody is.

But apart from a few guard dogs which are kept chained at the backs of some houses, Pereg is the only dog who is tethered. All the others wander about freely.

But doesn't that make it even more dangerous for her ?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Its cost me a flaming fortune over the years to gradually create a place that repels all boarders, it just used to be a high normal fence, but I found out that kids were climbing the fence and tormenting my dogs (dobies then) so I had the whole lot ripped down and waneylap put in with a solid gate, I am now going to replace the waneylap with concrete slabs, on the inside I have some old steel school fencing that an enterprising builder I knew acquired for me when they changed all the old type school fencing with new stuff.
Its a nuisance when you have to spend money to stop people doing what they shouldn't be doing anyway, but long term it is the best way to go. If I had left things as they were the next thing would have been my dogs had bitten a child, that shouldn't have been there anyway, but thats people for you
I am seriously considering putting carpet gripper on top of the new concrete slabs that I want to have put in, I don't think you're allowed to put broken glass up anymore for fear of hurting trespassers
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
It is a very small concrete area with no shade whatsoever. And I am not allowed to put up any form of fencing. Nobody is.

But apart from a few guard dogs which are kept chained at the backs of some houses, Pereg is the only dog who is tethered. All the others wander about freely.

But doesn't that make it even more dangerous for her

Surely the shade issue is there whether she has a run or not, what shade cover does she have now.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Im sure if you put your mind to it, you could fix up something that would allow her to have some outside space and protection, the properties on either side of you seem hae some form of fence and cover ,
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-05-2014, 09:41 AM
You have to be careful what you top a fence with June. We had a shed break in years ago back in Brentwood and the police came to give us some advice. We said we were going to put barbed wire along the fence tops and were told we couldn't because we may get prosecuted if a burglar got hurt. Madness.
Anyway they did say we could use any form of prickly hedge or shrubs that e liked the bigger the spikes the better. We put in Pyracantha brilliant for deterring unwanted visitors .
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >