View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 01:55 PM

2% of Dexter's body weight seems to result in a very small amount of food?

This is the week that I am switching Dex totally to raw.

I've worked out that at 33kg, 2% would be 660g - spread over two meals a day, this seems like rather a small amount though....?

However when I thought about doing 3% this comes out at 990g - which seems like a lot!

Is it OK to pick a figure halfway between the two - or do I need to be precise with these percentages...?

Dex is a "typical" Labrador in this respect - he is ALWAYS looking for food

Thanks in advance for any advice
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Being foody I would say start with 2% and increase if needs be. It tends to be easier to get weight onto a dog than get it off! You don't have to be exact to the gram but I would say start at the lower end.
When my mum's pup was getting one meal raw, one commercial food, she always seemed hungry after the raw. I started adding veg to the portions I prepared and this seemed to do the trick - pup's now on raw 100% and is a good weight and not pestering my mum for food at all (well, not in a genuine "I'm starvingggg" way anyway!) so this is something you could consider. I don't find the need to with my two even with them being fed around the 2% mark.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 04:15 PM
id suggest adding veg to it if he looks like he is still mega hungry. mine get mashed up veggies with theirs, and it seems to do the trick
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 04:41 PM
are you using rmb ? i found with Tupac who is always hungry it satisfies him more as he eats it slower and has to work at it.

unless a rangy lad i would start with the 2%
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Nothing needs to be precise, there are no hard and fast rules; one of my dogs eats WAY more than 3% per day and the other less than 2% per day; all dogs have different metabolisms like us; what suits one does not suit another
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Nothing needs to be precise, there are no hard and fast rules; one of my dogs eats WAY more than 3% per day and the other less than 2% per day; all dogs have different metabolisms like us; what suits one does not suit another

Thanks SMOKEY BEAR, I thought it could probably be flexible, guess am just a tad nervous now that we're switching to raw completely!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Being foody I would say start with 2% and increase if needs be. It tends to be easier to get weight onto a dog than get it off! You don't have to be exact to the gram but I would say start at the lower end.
When my mum's pup was getting one meal raw, one commercial food, she always seemed hungry after the raw. I started adding veg to the portions I prepared and this seemed to do the trick - pup's now on raw 100% and is a good weight and not pestering my mum for food at all (well, not in a genuine "I'm starvingggg" way anyway!) so this is something you could consider. I don't find the need to with my two even with them being fed around the 2% mark.

Excellent idea! Thank you!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
are you using rmb ? i found with Tupac who is always hungry it satisfies him more as he eats it slower and has to work at it.

unless a rangy lad i would start with the 2%

Yes, am indeed including RMBs, and what you say makes great sense - thank you!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Thanks SMOKEY BEAR, I thought it could probably be flexible, guess am just a tad nervous now that we're switching to raw completely!
Hey, who was not nervous when they started anything new!

Perfectly normal......................
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hey, who was not nervous when they started anything new!

Perfectly normal......................

Thanks SMOKEY BEAR
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >