Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Littlemissruby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Clipping puppies claws

Hi I no there is a dog grooming section but because I'm referring to small puppies I figured it would be best in this section
So after some wonderful advice from the members on here an as advised by devilsdogz I've been checking out ruby's litters claws they are pretty long White claws but these guys are so Diddy when Do I start to do this..... An how Do I no where to clip to please?

Thank you all x
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I would trim them as soon as you feel they are to long, causing discomfort for mum when suckling. All you need to do is take the end (hook) bit off. Using something like peoples nail clippers - Hope that makes sense!
Littlemissruby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh yeah 100% right I think by the weekend I should be getting on with that as they are looking a little sharp thank you
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi

I find I have to cut puppies nails about twice a week because they grow so fast - and I use human's toenail clippers as they are a bit bigger than the fingernail clippers and can be used up until the puppies go to their new mums.

You've got quite a big job on there so make sure that you cut the front nails as often as you can because the puppies tread on their mums to stimulate milk and they can make their mums very sore.

Keep up the good work you are doing very well with your little 'surprise'

Thalice's Mum

Littlemissruby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Thank you I think I'm going to attempt to cut them today little tribe is now 4days I'm very happy ruby is doing so good with them x
Wenric
New Member!
Male 

19-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Our Chihuahua pups are so small that we use a tiny set of travel nail clippers to cut their claws
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Baby nail clippers we use on our pups, normally by 5 days they've had their first 'snip' just to take the hooky ends off.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I have baby nail clipper too for clipping pups nails.