View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I don`t mind children, and I don`t bash them. I`ve been in the local park all afternoon facepainting them and we`re running childrens events all summer.
BUT I`m not going to pretend that there isn`t a problem with unsupervised children roaming because parents don`t or can`t keep an eye on them. That`s when the trouble comes. 7 weeks is too long. JMO.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t mind children, and I don`t bash them. I`ve been in the local park all afternoon facepainting them and we`re running childrens events all summer.
BUT I`m not going to pretend that there isn`t a problem with unsupervised children roaming because parents don`t or can`t keep an eye on them. That`s when the trouble comes. 7 weeks is too long. JMO.
Yes, and of course that is a perfectly reasonable opinion, reasonably expressed - unlike some of the posts on this thread...

Mine have only got 6 weeks, and that's quite long enough for me, strangely they don't agree!

J.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Here we go again with the child bashing....

I feel really sorry for all of you who live near such horrendous children but please can you try not to tar all kids with the same brush. Please could at least occasionally qualify some of your statements with some of the kids round here. I know this is a dog-lovers forum so does that make it ok to be a child-hater? Most of you are anti BSL but you seem quite happy to indiscriminately hate all kids.

This thread does not make comfortable reading, it is dripping venom and hatred. Remember some dogs behave badly but that doesn't make you hate all dogs. I have to say that the anti-child prejudiced of some members of this forum has really lowered my opinion of some who I had previously admired.

For me it does make life harder because my children (who some of you would apparently wish to destroy on sight ) are home from school so my walks are not as peaceful. Pepper loves it when the kids are out with us so she gets very excited and silly. We mainly walk in a nature reserve in our nearest park and she has a great time running between the kids and me. She likes to keep tabs on all her pack. But I do have to be more vigilant as she is quite likely to assume that anyone sitting on the grass must want a kiss!

J.
Not sure if this is directed at me, so if it is I will state nowhere did I say it was all of the children, I said it was some of them and nowhere did I say I hate all the children.
I have worked in a school in the past and know full well there are those that have behavioural problems and even they can be nice too. The problem here is we have a lot of families live in my road whose parents have no regard for the law or anyone and sadly thier children have been bought up with the same values and when they get together they like to act big in front of thier friends.
I have grandchildren and have bought up children myself so actually believe it or not, I do generally like them. However my own, and my grandchildren have been taught respect to others and they would never be allowed to talk to people the way unfortunatly the majority talk to others round here.
There is a lovely asian family and a chinese family oppisite me and they suffer terribly at the hands of these children. They have things thrown at them and abuse shouted if they dare to go out of thier door. The kids even sit on the walls round thier garden and do the same if they go in thier back gardens.
The police have been called numerous times in the beginning but still it continues as they then have the childrens parents after them for calling the police. They can't win and now live in fear.
When we suffer like this on a daily basis during the holidays can you blame us for saying we will be glad when September comes.
As for your children I don't even know them so why would I wish to destroy them on sight .
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Not sure if this is directed at me, so if it is I will state nowhere did I say it was all of the children, I said it was some of them and nowhere did I say I hate all the children.
I have worked in a school in the past and know full well there are those that have behavioural problems and even they can be nice too. The problem here is we have a lot of families live in my road whose parents have no regard for the law or anyone and sadly thier children have been bought up with the same values and when they get together they like to act big in front of thier friends.
I have grandchildren and have bought up children myself so actually believe it or not, I do generally like them. However my own, and my grandchildren have been taught respect to others and they would never be allowed to talk to people the way unfortunatly the majority talk to others round here.
There is a lovely asian family and a chinese family oppisite me and they suffer terribly at the hands of these children. They have things thrown at them and abuse shouted if they dare to go out of thier door. The kids even sit on the walls round thier garden and do the same if they go in thier back gardens.
The police have been called numerous times in the beginning but still it continues as they then have the childrens parents after them for calling the police. They can't win and now live in fear.
When we suffer like this on a daily basis during the holidays can you blame us for saying we will be glad when September comes.
As for your children I don't even know them so why would I wish to destroy them on sight .
Absolutely NOT directed at you Madmare! Sorry if you thought that, you are one of the people I expressed sympathy for having such rotten neighbours, I really do feel for you!

To be honest it was the general tone of the thread that pushed me over the edge...

J.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Absolutely NOT directed at you Madmare! Sorry if you thought that, you are one of the people I expressed sympathy for having such rotten neighbours, I really do feel for you!

To be honest it was the general tone of the thread that pushed me over the edge...

J.
Ok fair enough and sorry if I assumed it may be.
Anyway it still stands for anyone else that may think I'm a miserable old git that hates every child that walks on this planet. Your all right I am a miserable old bag but I really don't hate all children.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 04:30 PM
I actually like the holidays they don't get up at the crack of dawn when I walk the dogs, so that doesn't affect me, BUT, when I'm home and ready to go out, it means I'm not stuck in the school run for an hour on a journey that should only take me 10 minutes, which it now does! Oh bring it oooooooooon!!!! Mind you, once I get there, I have to really whiz round to do the shopping, coz they all get up there by 10.30 am and there's no way you'll see the likes of me in a supermarket or any other shop come to that when there's women dragging those screaming bratts around. Some kids I like, most I don't I'm afraid, but then I AM a grumpy old woman!!!

Oh heaven, 7 whole weeks of actually getting around in this clogged up part of the country, as long as I still get up at 6 am I'll be ok! I'm immune to their constant shouting and screaming now coz I have a bouncy castle opposite my house in the pub garden all summer long, but once the holidays come, they're all off on their hols so they don't use it! Oh YES, definitely heaven here!!!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 04:32 PM
It hasn't really affected me before, we shall see this year though, where I normally walk there might be the odd motorbike, but its large enough to avoid them, or just put the lead on the dogs to get passed, and everyone knows round here that they run the risk if they come up behind me or round from somewhere on thier bikes that I don't know where they are that chances are that they are going to have a very excited Lurcher appear next to them wanting a game of race the bike, and with the majority of the cheap things that they ride that he can easily go faster then them and go from stop to full speed a lot faster too, so most people look out to make sure I'm not there when they set off and I do the same for them
Down the lake I'm more affected by parents booking a holiday then the kids, the kids will just normally either swim with Diesel or play with Honey, but the parents fish or walk little dogs on string not a good mix with my dogs lol, but I don't go down there on holidays or weekends
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5