Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Leaving Dogs Overnight?

A little question people.

I'm thinking of doing some extra shifts at a local hospital for some extra cash. I'd be doing night shifts leaving the house at about 20.50 and returning at 08.00. The question is, would it be acceptable to leave the dogs overnight while I'm at work? Normally my parents would look after them, but I think they do this enough already with my normal shifts.

I would get just over an hours break where I could pop home (I live about 5 minutes drive from the local hospital), but I do wonder if this would just disrupt them more.

Any opinions welcome, I haven't decided to do these extra shifts yet, just thinking about it.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 06:53 PM
wouldnt they be asleep then anyway? Id think it would be fine!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I agree with Mish, I am sure they'd be asleep in any event.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 07:07 PM
In a 24 hour period, how long do you expect them to be alone?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 07:08 PM
i cant see a problem, if they are normally settled through the night. would ur next door neighbour ring you if they become unsettled in the night and yu could pop home, otherwise i would sau you coming home would disturb them
ATD x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 07:19 PM
So 9 til 8? I'm guessing they would sleep for the majority of that, so with a break I would say that would be ok once or twice a week. But of course it would depend on your dogs. I know that with mine, Dex and Tils would just sleep for all that time like they do anyway. So, they would be just fine with that arrangement. Bo on the other hand would definitely not sleep for 10-11 hours (I'm lucky if she sleeps for 6) and would likely get bored and restless during some of that time, which no doubt would result in her singing (meaning barking!) her lungs out. So that wouldn't work for her.

I think if you know Isla and Oscar and going to sleep and chill out for all that time, it would be fine.
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2010, 07:30 PM
My mum used to work nights and she used to leave her 2 dogs home alone for the night, think it was from about 8.30 till 6 ish the next morning, and they used to do fine. They just slept all night and the neighbours said they never heard anything. Only thing is that obviously working through the night you need to sleep in the day, so will your dogs allow you to sleep or will they disturb you? Mum was always lucky and aslong as they had had there breakfast and a walk they were happy to have another marathon snooze!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I think it sounds OK, best way is to try it and see
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 08:23 PM
I think the only thing to consider is that if you are going to be working all night, how much time during the day will you be asleep?
What I'm getting at is that if the dogs are used to sleeping when you do, will they sleep the (say) 6 or 7 hours that you do during the day and then sleep solidly for the 11 hours you would be at work?

Personally I wouldn't do it, but if circumstances must, you can only see how it goes.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think the only thing to consider is that if you are going to be working all night, how much time during the day will you be asleep?
What I'm getting at is that if the dogs are used to sleeping when you do, will they sleep the (say) 6 or 7 hours that you do during the day and then sleep solidly for the 11 hours you would be at work?

Personally I wouldn't do it, but if circumstances must, you can only see how it goes.
Good point...unless Rips parents entertain them on the days she is working a nightshift.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >