Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 09:51 AM

Behaviour Change (Instinct?)

Something I noticed is when Pat is home on evenings, the girls just chill and Bruce takes his position on the window seat by the front door, then around 10 he gets down and lies on a chair (figures he thinks no-one is calling round after 10)
Then when I go to bed the girls come up, Reah assumes her position at the side of the bed, Skye stays on the Landing and Bruce stays downstairs with Pat usually either on the chair next to Pat or on the floor by the fire.

However put Pat on nights and thier behaviour changes...

First when I go to bed, Reah (who always lies my side of the bed) refuses to come in my bedroom and sleeps across our foster son's doorway.

Skye who always sleeps on the landing....sleeps in my room on the bottom of the bed.

And Bruce takes a position across the front door...which he never does normally. No matter how much coaxing he refuses to move and he will stay there all night till Pat comes home.

Anyone else notice if there dogs instinct changes when the situation requires.

I find it really amusing how they instinctively know
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Aww, bless.

(but you know this mean's you'll have to get a 4th dog so that they have the back door covered too
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Aww, bless.

(but you know this mean's you'll have to get a 4th dog so that they have the back door covered too
Well as you know a 4th has been talked about when Bruce gets to 3 plus....so you never know

Bruce is getting a real ''guard'' dog....someone should tell him he;s a BC not a GSD
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Aww Bless 'em Diesel is the same, only if one of us go out he constantly sits on the landing crying
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Yes Harvey !! He did this the other evening when Nigel went out on a call. I looked for him and he was snuggled as close to the front door as possible waiting for his Dad to return Normally he wouldn't leave my feet
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Yes, Fudge normally sleeps on the flor in our room.However when OH is away she will spend some time curled up on his pillow next to me.

The really funny thing is that when he is home if his snorng gets too loud, she goes and sleeps elsewhere! sensible girl....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Aww Bless 'em Diesel is the same, only if one of us go out he constantly sits on the landing crying
Awwww bless Diesel, he's a softie
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Yes Harvey !! He did this the other evening when Nigel went out on a call. I looked for him and he was snuggled as close to the front door as possible waiting for his Dad to return Normally he wouldn't leave my feet
It fastinates me how behaviour changes take place, Bruce becomes a fully fledged guard dog All I can hear is low growls as people walk past, from him
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Yes, Fudge normally sleeps on the flor in our room.However when OH is away she will spend some time curled up on his pillow next to me.

The really funny thing is that when he is home if his snorng gets too loud, she goes and sleeps elsewhere! sensible girl....
Exactly what I noticed...the change of positions in the ''pack'' structure.The sleeping where they wouldn't normally do. Funny because once Pat came in, Skye left my bed and went down, Bruce went straight into the kitchen and lay on his bed, and Reah moved from Foster sons door and came into the bedroom and lay down in her normal spot
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Missy normally sleeps in her crate by choice -but when Paul is working lates and I decide to have an early night, she sleeps on the corner of the bed nearest the bedroom door.
Mind you, she's so pleased to see him home, she barks a happy welcome - and wakes me up
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Missy normally sleeps in her crate by choice -but when Paul is working lates and I decide to have an early night, she sleeps on the corner of the bed nearest the bedroom door.
Mind you, she's so pleased to see him home, she barks a happy welcome - and wakes me up
Love her. Funnily enough these bark whenever Pat comes in (in excitment) but when he's on nights...finishes at 2 or 3 am...they don't

Must know Mom's alseep
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >