Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
OOOh can I add you to the fosterers list for Bullies in Need then Shona, it'd be a great help ?
if it were just for emergency stay... yes, but not as a foster hun, I dont think bullys would do well outside..but say they had a bullie in the area and could not pick it up for a day or two...then I may be able to help,
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 02:33 PM
NO I don't think ALL breeders are in it for the money but some are, for sure

That is why I get so angry when people say you are immoral or unethical if you breed from anything other than a show dog. It is rubbish. Any pups that I home will go on contract to be returned to me at any point in the pups life, should there be a problem. I WANT a problem pup/dog back, so that I can do my best to put any problems right and make sure that pup/dog is put in the correct home for it or keep it myself. That is what makes a good breeder.

Of course HAVE TO COVER MY BACK HERE, any dog bred should tick all the boxes as regards, breed standard, health, temperament and so on..............goes without saying really but don't want another hoo har..............
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Some are..

I wish I knew who the breeder of this mal was so I could give you definitive answer!!
There's a lot of them out there Louise, the Mal breeder has no interest because the dog has no tail.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
There's a lot of them out there Louise, the Mal breeder has no interest because the dog has no tail.
Not neccesarily..maybe they don't take back ANY dog..Which is why I would like to know who it is..
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Not neccesarily..maybe they don't take back ANY dog..Which is why I would like to know who it is..
DITO, I would think they are just the type to ship out, I wouldnt think people pick and choose what dogs they have back, they either take them back or they dont.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 02:39 PM
This is why buyers need to do research before buying.
Some breeders are in it for money ,some for the love of the breed.
I am one of the lucky ones....the breeders of my dogs have both become good friends who I can phone at any time for advice or just a chat!
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I reckon about 90% are in it for the money, easier than doing a 9-5 isnt popping a few litters out a year
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Although it is sad to say I do think the majority of breeders do it for the money.

That's not to say that there aren't ethical breeders out there but I think that they are probably the exception rather than the rule.

The breeder I got Pepper (Mini Schnauzer) from certainly falls in the former camp, if I had known better I probably shouldn't have got her. But we live and learn. He KC registered and looked after his dogs well and did the appropriate health checks for the breed but I'm sure it was driven by profit and I very much doubt he would take a dog back.

When I got Gozo I'd learned a lot and his breeder is everything you could ask for, ethical and a lovely person!

J
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2009, 03:26 PM
The Scottish Siberian Husky club has it in it's code of ethics, that breeders must take back any dogs that they have bred. It was a bit worrying for a while when we had to take on the KC code of ethics but we can relax again as our own has been added and approved by the KC.

I make all of my puppy buyer sign a contract saying that if for any reason, at any time in it's life, they cannot keep the dog I bred then it MUST come back to me or i must approve of any new home. I don't ever want to loose contact with my babies. I also would be willing to help with the rehoming of any dogs sired by my dog. I think stud dog owners need to take some responsibility too.

I think a lot of breeders are in it for the money, you just have to look at the KC breed record suppliment, one breeder in my breed had 5 litters born between 5/10/08 and 28/10/08, this is not a one off, she has multiple litters registered in almost every breed record suppliment, she doesn't show or work her dogs, in my opinion this is purely commercial.

My last litter was born 7 years ago and i am only now planning to breed again, I couldn't do it on a regular basis, I love having the puppies but Its heart wrenching when they have to go to their new homes.

I only breed when I am looking for a pup for myself.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 03:36 PM
And you Susan..is exactly what I look for in a breeder..Well done you.. Ethical, Moral and your dogs work & show too
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >