View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:13 PM

Writing a letter to a breeder, need some help!

My friend has bought a labrador from another keeper, and was given the dogs kennel club papers.

He wants to change the dogs details into his name, but the original owner of the dog was given the wrong paperwork by the breeder, and never bothered to change the dog into his name.

I've spoke to the Kennel Club and they said that we were to write to the breeder and ask for the correct paperwork.

I'm not sure if the breeder will still have it, as the dog is now almost 3, but we've got try everything!

I'm not very good at writing, so wondered if you could help me with what I should include in the letter!

Thank you!!
xx
LoweherzLeos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:40 PM
(personal address)

(date)
RE: (registered name)

Dear Mr and Mrs (name) of (kennel name) Labs

I am writing to you as i have been lucky enough to acquire one of the dogs you have bred. He is now settled in a (working/ pet/ show) home where he is likely to remain for the rest of days. He is a (chocolate/black/yellow) Lab, believed to have been born (on/in) (date) by sire (name) out of dam (name).

On purchasing (registered name) aka (pet name) we were made aware that he is still registered with the Kennel Club as being under your ownership. I have searched for information regarding your address, so that I may ask you if you would consider transferring the ownership into my name and sending the registration papers for me to sign. I have listed the previous owner of (pet name) contact details at the bottom of this letter should you want to verify my intentions.

Please find enclosed a current picture of (pet name)
I look forward to your reply

Many Thanks

(sign here)

Mr/Mrs (your name)

(previous owner and name and address)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Wrong paperwork? he only need be give the reg cert. the breeder signs it and thats all thats required for transfer of ownership.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Transfers can be done online now
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Wrong paperwork? he only need be give the reg cert. the breeder signs it and thats all thats required for transfer of ownership.
The original buyer of the dog was given the litter registration certifcate rather than the breeder registration certificate.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 01:59 PM
You only need the pups reg number, isnt the individual puppies numbers on that? As Joedee says, you only need that and you can transfer online.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 02:04 PM
It is, but on the website, it says I need a 'Unique Ownership Code' which I don't have, and also that the service is only avaliable for registration certificates issued after July 2008, and the litter registration certificate I've got here for the dog, was issued in 2007.

When I spoke to someone from the Kennel Club, they said that the only way we can get Rhoda's details changed was to write the breeder first, and if that fails, then to get person that sold the dog to my friend to confirm on paper, that he did infact buy the dog from the breeder as a pup, then confirm that he has sold her on to my friend. With reciepts to prove it.

x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
It is, but on the website, it says I need a 'Unique Ownership Code' which I don't have, and also that the service is only avaliable for registration certificates issued after July 2008, and the litter registration certificate I've got here for the dog, was issued in 2007.

When I spoke to someone from the Kennel Club, they said that the only way we can get Rhoda's details changed was to write the breeder first, and if that fails, then to get person that sold the dog to my friend to confirm on paper, that he did infact buy the dog from the breeder as a pup, then confirm that he has sold her on to my friend. With reciepts to prove it.

x
Ahh ok, I see what you mean,
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 02:17 PM
It's a pain in the behind!

I just hope the breeder does get back to us, as I doubt the original owner will still have reciepts etc (if he was even given any) from 2 and half years ago, and the Kennel Club lady said that the change of details may still be denied without a breeders signature!

Hopefully the breeder will remember the litter, as according the paperwork I've got, she was the only pup in the litter! I think maybe that's how they managed to give out the wrong papers!!

x
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by LoweherzLeos View Post
(personal address)

(date)
RE: (registered name)

Dear Mr and Mrs (name) of (kennel name) Labs

I am writing to you as i have been lucky enough to acquire one of the dogs you have bred. He is now settled in a (working/ pet/ show) home where he is likely to remain for the rest of days. He is a (chocolate/black/yellow) Lab, believed to have been born (on/in) (date) by sire (name) out of dam (name).

On purchasing (registered name) aka (pet name) we were made aware that he is still registered with the Kennel Club as being under your ownership. I have searched for information regarding your address, so that I may ask you if you would consider transferring the ownership into my name and sending the registration papers for me to sign. I have listed the previous owner of (pet name) contact details at the bottom of this letter should you want to verify my intentions.

Please find enclosed a current picture of (pet name)
I look forward to your reply

Many Thanks

(sign here)

Mr/Mrs (your name)

(previous owner and name and address)
An excellent letter & hopefully the breeder will send the puppies papers, signed on back to transfer ownership, though when I was breeding I'd have wanted to visit first as my paperwork said the dog was to come back to me if the owner did not want it. Incidentally from my last litter of 10, well 9 because I kept one, only 5 people transferred the dog at the kennel club & 3 of those were so the dog could be shown.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >