View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Yes the same as you but with more experience.
A one eyed bird will not live in the wild.
No of course your not being a problem to them, but they could have a better chance else where
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
This is Spug! Almost died 2 days ago!
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2010, 10:51 PM
These were my babies.

We took the nesting box down and they stayed in that in the shed for a few days but then it got too hard to feed them so they moved to an ice cream tub

Then we made this out of our ryclebox and part of a bird cage I spotted being thrown out by someones bin

They were all flying by now but still not eating for themselves. This is when we took them to a wildlife centre to be released. It was such hard work and I really didn't want let them go round here for the cats to get them like they did with the parents

Luz the sanctuary will have release cages where your birds will be put with other birds until they learn how to feed themselves then they will let them go into a safe area where they will have the best chance. They will be with other orphaned chicks and they will know when the time is right to let them go, it would be awful if they were released too early after all your efforts and they didn't make it.

You wouldn't be letting them down Luz you'd be doing the right thing by letting the experts take over
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
And the sanctuary would be doing what Im doing? Im sure if I allowed these birds to be released in a natural environment they have a chance? Especially if I nurture them till they are ready?
Am I being a problem to them?
No - probably not - but if it was me - I would want them to have the best possible chance and that would be with the people with more experience.
JMO.

Good luck with them.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:55 PM

cotton eyed joe ( no eye)
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:59 PM
You really all believe I cant do this?
Im disappointed in myself already if I cant do them justice. These two are so special already and Ive got them places to survive.
The sanctuary believed I could help them, Cotton Joe may not do so well but best be out in the wild than confined.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2010, 11:11 PM
I actually had a few tears when mine went but I had to do what was right for the birds and knew they had a better chance of survival at the sanctuary. A couple of weeks in large cage with other birds is nothing compared to the years of flying free which they will be doing
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 11:14 PM
You really all believe I cant do this? Im disappointed in myself already if I cant do them justice. These two are so special already and Ive got them places to survive. The sanctuary believed I could help them, Cotton Joe may not do so well but best be out in the wild than confined.
From what I'm reading you asked for advice and people are giving it to you. No-ones saying you can't do but are saying what they would do, I would too take them to the sanctuary where the people there have more expierence with birds and they can also learn from the other birds there which could help them be able to be realised, as no matter how hard you try your not a bird and by watching other birds the two you have could benefit more then being with any human.

Also Cotton Joe would more then likely live out his days in a aviery that is designed to be as natural as possible with others of his kind surely thats better then possible starvation or being easy prey because of his eye?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 11:18 PM
You really all believe I cant do this?
Im disappointed in myself already if I cant do them justice. These two are so special already and Ive got them places to survive.
The sanctuary believed I could help them, Cotton Joe may not do so well but best be out in the wild than confined.
Luz believe me he will not live in the wild
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >