Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Becoming herd leader

Jimmychoo being gelded late is still very much the ''herd leader'' and being with the other geldings and Magic the foal, has definately taken the position.
He stands head of the herd and watches in protective stance when something approaches the field that he isn't sure about.
So using natural horsemanship I am teaching TC that I am leader
Marie is not a big fan of natural horsemanship but she has studied it, so today we spent a long time with me approaching in to JC's space when he stepped back or moved away, I turned and walked the other way, which in turn confuses JC so he comes walking back to me.
So you can imagin how loopy we looked today with Marie telling me, ''turn now....walk away....turn back...walk forward..turn away again, walk off, turn quick now''. Im sure the local natives think we are barmy Its a way of ''link up'' with me sending him away and me coming back from his space back into my own, he comes back into my space and so it forms a ''link up'' between he and I....a herd establishment of leader.
I don't want to be walking/following him otherwise I will be giving him the idea that I will follow him and he needs to follow me..............if you get the meaning

I know it all sounds very confusing, but it enables me to stroke him on my terms not his

I have a natural horemanship trainer coming to work with us on the 26th, so I am putting in work before she comes

Boy Im sure Im a few inches shorter.....still the funniest thing today was when I stood still the once...standing infront of JC like the leader Odie came over and used me as a scratching post Nutter, I must of been so still he thought...Yep my ear needs a good scratch this post will do
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Odie was giving you a massage really after all that hard work Did you see the chap on Edwardian Farm(tv programme) that was doing 'link up'(?) or similar thing with a wild Dartmoor pony, i forget his name now, am sure it'll all go well with the trainer, she might get a free massage too x
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Odie was giving you a massage really after all that hard work Did you see the chap on Edwardian Farm(tv programme) that was doing 'link up'(?) or similar thing with a wild Dartmoor pony, i forget his name now, am sure it'll all go well with the trainer, she might get a free massage too x

thats the guy I was telling Steph about. ..fabulous guy...wonder how much he charges

xx

just found his name....Mike Branch
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Think your right, Odie was standing there taking it all in as I was working with Jimmy
Link up is good, it really works promotes a great response from the horses
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
thats the guy I was telling Steph about. ..fabulous guy...wonder how much he charges

xx
Afternoon Sis...alot I bet.
Luckily Vicki does link up too, so JC will be half way there when she comes out
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:10 PM
sounds really interesting Steph..and like you're still making good progress

Fingers crossed this trainer will be able to help you progress even further
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
sounds really interesting Steph..and like you're still making good progress

Fingers crossed this trainer will be able to help you progress even further
Thanks from a distance it must look like JC and I are training to become dancers

Had a very long chat to the trainer who feels JC will only benefit from a experienced rider if he's broken as he has had so much done to him he may never be a novice ride.

However thats OK, I would be happy with him just being a happy boy and coming when called for grooming, head collar etc., and maybe be able to handle him at shows
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 03:29 PM
WOW this is incredible stuff isn't it...

You really should have a documentary about this amazing chap of yours ... just love the others horses taking it all in too....

I haven't seen/read much about link up but think I have seen a bit of it? Horse whispering??? It must be a sight to see when it comes together though even if you do look like practising some routine
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
WOW this is incredible stuff isn't it...

You really should have a documentary about this amazing chap of yours ... just love the others horses taking it all in too....

I haven't seen/read much about link up but think I have seen a bit of it? Horse whispering??? It must be a sight to see when it comes together though even if you do look like practising some routine

Well today Marie and I built a round training enclosure...tomorrow the real hard bit will be getting him to go in, but once I have cracked that I'll begin with ''link up'' he has no corners to back into so he has to dance with me now I'll get Marie to take photo's so that I can post
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Well today Marie and I built a round training enclosure...tomorrow the real hard bit will be getting him to go in, but once I have cracked that I'll begin with ''link up'' he has no corners to back into so he has to dance with me now I'll get Marie to take photo's so that I can post
Look forward to seeing those Steph !
Page 10 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »