View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I have always worked full-time but did not want to wait years until I retired to get a dog so advertised in the local newsagents for a retired person who liked walking.

My first walker Norman had never had a dog but immediately bonded with Holly and never missed a day in six years until he became too ill. I used to pay him £10 per week which he thought was great. After Norman my retired neighbours took over the job which they still do. I now pay £20 per weeks and think myself very fortunate.

It gives some retired people a sense of purpose and a little extra spending money. My neighbours save the £20 up every week and then go on a day out once a month.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Sounds like your dog is chilled out anyway & wouldn't be bothered - if you feel bad maybe get up earlier & give him a longer walk than usual before you go to work.
I was always against owning a dog & working full time - but I've seen loads of people that do it & the dogs seem fine.
I got my dog when I was made redundant & work from home now, but have since got a part time job too & she has to wait for me to get back in the mornings at 9.30am until she goes for her walk. I thought it would be difficult as everyone gets up - goes out - what no walk!! But she's fine, she just goes back to bed (however I'm not allowed a full cup of coffee when I get back, she insists we go straightaway!!)
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Moon came through Quarantine well didn't he, so being left in his own home should be a breeze for him.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Moon came through Quarantine well didn't he, so being left in his own home should be a breeze for him.
True, that's a very good point. He coped very well with quarantine too and he wasn't walked at all for 6 months solid, at least he'll still be getting two walks a day. Also i think he still thinks his life is a bit of a party given his background

Thanks all, you've made me feel a lot better and relieved my guilt! Go od idea about the radio, will definately be doing that.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I bet he's getting a better life with you here than he ever would have in Vietnam so do not feel guilty about it just feel happy that you make up for it when you are home. It's all he will ask for after all xx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Just make sure he doesn't nick your bank card & order himself lots of goodies off the Internet whist you are out !!-damn clever these dogs you know
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I dont think you should worry, he sounds like he's a lucky boy!! we work too in an ideal world i would be at home with my children and dogs allllll day! in the real world it just takes a bit more effort to keep everyone happy!! early morning walks, evening walks and lots of toys!! xxx i'm sure it'll work out well xx
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 09:47 PM
the longest mine have been left is 7.30 to 6. i make sure they have a chew each, go for a wee before i leave. they arent use to being left that long, so i stopped letting them out for a wee during the day and having set times to go out. i think mine is easier coz i have two. i dont like dog walkers unless it was someone i knew, mine go mad wen people come into the house even people we no so they wouldnt let a dog walker in i dont think
ATD x
obedientdog
New Member!
Male 

06-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Ok, so I know this is an emotive subject for some people, it's obviously not ideal to have a dog and work full time. However nothing in this world is ideal and plenty of people do have dogs and work full time. I'd rather this didn't turn into a debate over if it's right to have a dog while working full time please

Anyway I used to have a job where I lived on site. I could pop home in my lunch break and walk Moon so he was never alone more than 4 hours. It was a great set up, especially as my house mate also had a dog so they kept each other company.

Long and the short of it is, I was made redundant in August. I had no choice, I moved back home with my mum and I've been around the house full time while looking for employment. I'm fortunate enough to have found a new job which I start soon but now I'm faced with the decision - what's best to do with Moon now that I'll have to work full time. I'm researching dog walkers but didn't know if there were other options.

I just wanted to know how other people cope with this. What do you all do?

ETA: Realised there's a stupid typo in the title but I can't edit it! Oopps! LOL

I think owning a dog when you're working full time been not recommended is a load of crap... I'm sorry but all these house bound, benefit thieves who own dogs, spend all day watching chat shows and shoping channels and the best their dog gets is cheap supermarket food and to be let out in there garden.

These people who have the whole day to look after their dogs/ dogs don't!! And their dogs are in worst situations than living with an owner who works full time.

We both work full time and took on 2 dogs so they could keep each other company while we were out.

I'd recommend you give them plenty of toys to play with during the day and also one other thing we do is we have a radio on while we are out.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi, i'm sure it will work out fine

Teagan is very laid back, but I used to spend most of the day with her. When I started working full time, she just got used to it!
I have a secure garden, so I have a dog flap, so she can get out when she needs to.
Even when I am home she sleeps ALL day, and only goes outside for a wee in the morning and at night!

I go to hospital a lot, and sometimes I can be out of the house for 12 hours - I have no choice. Obviously my family is with me (and I don't have any friends!), so she's been alone the whole time. I leave her with 2 or 3 different interactive toys, and she has access to the garden, and she's always been fine when i've got back
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >