View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 06:44 PM
My mum also works full time so she can't help.

Thanks guys, I have been considering leaving him given how he is, but I feel really bad about it! It's good to know that not everyone thinks it's an inconcievable idea.

He gets a short walk in the mornings and a good long walk in the evenings so it's not so much exercise he'd need midday. I think I shall talk to my neighbour and see if I can get him to pop in, let Moon out to the loo, give him a bit of a fuss then leave him with a stuffed Kong. It would certainly be a cheaper option which I think Moon would be happy with.

Thanks for your input guys
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Both me and my husand work full time, and we leave Jess all day, without anyone coming in (I think dog sitters/walkers are too expensive and I don't trust anyone else close enough to do it for me), and she is absolutely fine with it.

Moon will settle into the routine pretty quick I would have thought.

Just remember... Dogs are EXTREMELY adaptable to their situations, so try not to worry too much
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 08:13 PM
i work full time and i walk my 2 in the morning and then they are left for 5 hours. i'm back then for another walk and then they are left for another 2 hours.

dylan is 12 and lily is 6 months. they have plenty of toys and a stuffed kong each when i leave them. i also leave the radio on for them as i think it helps for there to be a bit of background noise. (maybe they don't!)

they are both good as gold and even if the weather is awful and they don't get a morning walk, they are used to the routine.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
i also leave the radio on for them
I also do this
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I also do this
what station do yours listen too then? mine like radio 1. i think!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
what station do yours listen too then? mine like radio 1. i think!
Haha, I have no idea as I never listen to the radio. (That really made me chuckle - Thank you )

I have heard however that talk show type channels are the best (think it is just voices)..
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Haha, I have no idea as I never listen to the radio. (That really made me chuckle - Thank you )

I have heard however that talk show type channels are the best (think it is just voices)..
pleasure! i listen to radio 1 when i'm at home so i reckon they would find it comforting. i also think it best represents us as a family. lively, noisey and slightly irritating at times!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. It sounds as though Moon will quickly settle into whatever routine you give him.

If between now and when you go out to work you start builidng up leaving him alone this may help. You may not get as far as leaving him for a full 8 hours but if your neighbour could help, even if only for a short time to begin with , then this would be something.

I agree with other advice given - make sure Moon gets his morning walk, leave him with a few treats and toys that will take some time to eat, chew through or play with and as you've already said, he'll most likely sleep the rest of the time you're out anyway.

We all have to work (well most of us) I'm lucky in that I work from home. But when I had my last dog, I worked full time adn she was left for 3 hours at a time whilst I was at work. I crucified myself over this until someone pointed out to me that she was happy with her walks and her time with me when I was home, I trained her, played with her, fed her etc and me being out at work meant we both seemed to appreciate each other more.

Don't beat yourself up about it. You have to earn a living. If you didn't, you would be able to afford nice things for Moon.

Congratulations on getting your new job. I hope you enjoy it and it all works out for you.

Laura xx
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
If he is laid back and happy to sleep all day, I doubt you will have any problems in leaving him at all. Depending on how long you are gone for, you might want to have someone come around during the day to let him out at lunchtime. That doesn't have to be a dog walker. Any dog loving family/friends/friends kids that you trust to let him out for a couple of ££ each day?
Originally Posted by Simira View Post
As she sleeps during day any way and has no separation anxiety, I doubt leaving her for a full day would be a problem. As long as she gets enough attention during the rest of the day, you'll probably manage all fine!
Totally agree with these and many others.........
I am lucky and work from home but now plenty of people who manage a dog and ft job. the dogs totally adapt, even the ones with seperation anx- they just take a tiny while longer......

I have also known some dogs who I believe enjoyed the time on their own and the owners ended up with a happier dog overall by allowing it that it of quiet time!??! sounds strange but i think some dogs really like a bit of 'me time!!''
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Our two are on their own all day with no problems. They get a kong each or a tough chew that will take a while to get through. They get a 30 mins walk in the morning, go straight out when I come in from work at 5.15pm and then OH takes them out again at about 9.30pm.

At the weekends they get the same walk again in the morning and then at least an hour's walk in the afternoon and then their night-time walk before bed. We play with them by playing hide and seek round the house to entertain them and play chase seeing who can get up the stairs the fastest! Just hope the neighbours can't hear us.

Since they came to us in May from the rescue centre, they are come out of themselves more and more and as they are happy dogs now, don't think them being on their own all day is harming them.

In fact Robbie sometimes goes upstairs after tea for afew hours on his own!

Karen
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >