View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 04:54 PM
For practical reasons (eg warmth) but not fashion.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I put a coat on my dog only if its cold/raining but i have to own up to some dodgy collars, especially the pink leopardskin with matching lead !

My friend has got 2 chuihaha's and she dresses them up Paris Hilton style which personally makes me cringe ! she even has one of those bags to put them in err no
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 05:04 PM
This has been done to the death many time over, but I think if you can have style and practicality at the same time why not? Barr Charlie who doesn't need one, all mine have a variety of t-shirts and jumpers, including hoodies and t-shirts with slogans, but they are primarily to keep them warm and only worn when needs be.

But no, i'm not up for completely stupid dressy ups, like tuxedos and hot dog suits e.t.c.
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2009, 05:36 PM
My old dog wears a high viz coat and wont go walkies without it he just likes it! amuses most people we see as hes a white dog. Without it he walks really slowly-the coat makes him so important he marches on ahead! slightly dotty obviously.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I don't like to see dogs in tutu-things, tight tracksuit tops that ruche up around their legs, dresses that drag along the floor and hats and glasses - it must be really irritating for them, and it's so pointless!
I'm with you on this one, mse2ponder!

Originally Posted by random View Post
This has been done to the death many time over,
True, but to be fair this was posted by a newbie and it hasn't been done for a while.

Originally Posted by random View Post
But no, i'm not up for completely stupid dressy ups, like tuxedos and hot dog suits e.t.c.
Personally I have no objections to the silly stuff if it's for a quick photo opportunity, as long as the dog isn't expected to keep it on for more than a few mins.

My personal bug bear is how hard it is to find a proper normal coat for a small breed! Just because my Gozo is small doesn't mean I want to dress him up like a doll.

J
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I have a box of clothes for my lot. Not tutus and trackies but coats, tees, hoodies, whatever to suit the weather. Unless it's warm I usually put something on them. They are so close to the floor that if they have nothing on and it has been wet or whatever, they need a bath on their return home. A tee will cover their belly from mud splashes, etc. I can't see any harm in dressing dogs, so long as it is not over the top and so long as the dog is comfortable. My Bailey hates clothes, even when it's cold, so I tend to leave him be unless the weather is extreme.

As for those bags, I have one. They are a must with a Chi. If you need to pop in a shop or something whilst out, you have to take them in with you. You can't leave a Chi tied up outside a shop or in your car. The undesirables know the value of Chis and he/she would be gone in seconds.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post

As for those bags, I have one. They are a must with a Chi. If you need to pop in a shop or something whilst out, you have to take them in with you. You can't leave a Chi tied up outside a shop or in your car. The undesirables know the value of Chis and he/she would be gone in seconds.
I have to agree with this, I didn't used to but a friend of mine has a very much loved chi and he has a bag for him as he takes this dog everywhere with him, the dog is allowed in shops and things in the bag whereas otherwise he is not and I have no objections to this over him being left home alone. Also it's quite dangerous for such a small dog in busy places such as train stations and even Crufts. Better the dog be carried than trod on and hurt! The dog is treated as a dog in all respects, he is walked daily and trained and is a lovely wee thing.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Yes I hadn't thought of it like that, so i suppose the bags are a good idea, having quite a big dog you forget about things like that !
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Yes I hadn't thought of it like that, so i suppose the bags are a good idea, having quite a big dog you forget about things like that !
Quite understandable I've had people say in the street "oh my god, you've got your dog in a bag" then when I explain, I need to pop in the shop or got to walk through a busy street or something, they are like "of course - I understand" - I think it's just the Paris Hilton and such likes, that make people think we are treating the dogs like toys, putting them in bags but in some cases it is necessary. Tutus and tracksuits though, not quite sure that is necessary, though very cute, I'm sure
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
For warmth in some breeds but not for fashion they not dolls
OMG I totally agree with KCJack.
What she said.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >