Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:08 PM

Banning of Obedience Judge !

Something that has happened recently that has made my blood boil that shows up the KC to be an arrogant ignorant organisation

A lady who has been in Obedience for over 30 years, who can no longer compete because of disablility was judging the Championship Dog class at a show in August, she judges from a wheelchair, so does not follow the handler & dog around the ring as most judges do. Her winner was a first Ob CC for owner & dog(at least I think it was both it was definitely the first for the dog), but they have now won a second Ob CC.

This lady was secretly videoed during the show by a KC Rep(identity not disclosed)& the video presented to the KC WTOA committee, who have decided that this lady is not able to judge & have banned her from judging at any level again-reason not disclosed

Now anyone who entered this show in the Dog Ticket class would be aware of the lady's disability & there is no splitting of ticket classes so they would also know beforehand that they would be competing under her judgement so who was it who complained ? Not known it must have been before the show for the KC rep to be present suitably armed with a video camera

The lady herself has only received the initial information regarding the video & then subsequently the banning letter-no opportunty to appeal or be represented when the WTOA commttiee made the decision

The rules for judging obedience do not instruct Obedience Judges to follow the dogs & handler in the ring, they simply have to be present when the dog is in the ring & I have been judged by someone sitting on a shooting stick in the corner of a ring !!(He was I believe a KC member !)

This lady puts great effort assisted by her friends when devising the round to make sure she can observe clearly the dog & handler at all times. They go through all aspects of the round so that she can judge the work & from people who have worked under her-they have all said the same thing-she is a very good honest fair judge who picked up their mistakes !

The Obedience E mail lists & Obedience UK site members are up in arms & "to a man"have voiced their disgust @ the KC & their support for this lady

The KC in the past have tried banning a deaf handler's interpreter & a wheelchair handler(who has a Pem Corgi & has won classes) only to have to back down because od the DDA(Disability Discrimination Act). There are handlers who have to use crutches, walking sticks etc who also judge & who are now concerned it could be them next ! There is a real shortage of good honest judges(& judges of any sort TBH)so banning disabled ones is hardly in the interest of Obedience

I've got mobility problems at times & at the end of a day of judging I am usually hobbling-I've just unearthed my shooting stick so for certain exercises I can have a bit of a rest. Will I be banned because I don't write down the marks as the dogs work ? I use a talley counter because of my lack of grip in my hands which would mean I wouldn't be able to write after judging anything up to 60 dogs & note the marks for each exercise at the end of that phase with symbols for the faults that occurred

Grrrr I am sooo very very angry that the KC can do this yet ignore other things that are reported to them especially via the shows's incident books ! by judges
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:34 PM
That's shocking. It very well might mean the Disability Dicrimination Act can be weilded again, because what has happened is undoubtedly discriminatory. I'm appalled.

Dawn R.
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Joedee, that sounds amazingly ignorant and crass of the KC. And how do they get away with giving no notice of the adjudication, nor opportunity to defend one's self or appeal against the decision afterwards ? It beggars belief. I didn't realise the KC were so totalitarian and can understand your anger at them; it is indeed appalling.

I hope the furore gets them to reconsider their actions and they drag themselves into the real world. Do post if there's any progress.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes, please do keep us updated. I have 2 acquaintances who are disabled and who judge, I don't know them that well but do know dogs are their life and they pride themselves on being a fair and good judge.

Wys
x
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 08:24 PM
That's disgraceful!

Great post, JoedeeUK
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 08:31 PM
What reasons have they given? are they saying she cant do the job properly? If she is perfectly able, then I would publicise it as much as possible, Dog world, Our dogs the lot!! UNFAIR!
Dawn,
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Seems to be discriminatory at the very least. I hope something can and will be done to reinstate this lady.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 05:56 PM
thats totally out of order.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
What reasons have they given? are they saying she cant do the job properly? If she is perfectly able, then I would publicise it as much as possible, Dog world, Our dogs the lot!! UNFAIR!
Dawn,
The Lady concerned has only been told to stop judging & that she is banned ! She obviously has contacted the KC to see what reason they give, but today she has heard zilch(not surprisingly)

I had a thought that all Obedience judges should judge seated for a couple weekends of shows as a protest After all they couldn't ban us all !

I'll keep ou updated

DTW(the Obedience Magazine) is doing a feature & I've poted on a forum where I know a contact of Nick Mays is a member so hopefully he will pick up on it
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

20-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Discrimination I would say. Disgraceful