Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sasha_the_trash
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2006, 04:26 PM

i cant wait

my BC's are still young and i know that they cant do agility until about 12/18months. i think i read somewhere about people getting there dogs used to it by giving them small jumps and stuff. am i correct. can i buy these from somewhere? also is there an online guide to how to start training your dog agility?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi there,

I would advise you dont let them jump at all until 12 months old, but there are many things you can do - having them go between jump wings with a pole on the ground, working on left and right cues, plank on the ground for contact work and familiarity of walking on planks.

Absolutely no weaving til 12 months - I dont let my students dogs start weaving at all til a good couple of months after they start training and longer for bigger breeds which need more time to mature physically plus its something you really do benefit from tuition on if you have never done agility before.

Tunnels are great, especially the cheap and cheerful type made for kids.

Some useful vids :

Greg Derrets Agility Foundation Training,
and also by Greg,
Great Dog, Shame About The Handler.

and this book :

Christine Zink's Jumping A-Z

If there is a good agility club near you, go along to watch and take your dogs regularly if possible, so they can start getting used to the atmosphere, the sounds, and can pick up on what the other dogs are doing [ great for increasing confidence before new dogs start when they see other dogs, even subliminally, happily on equipment ] plus of course you will pick up so much yourself that way for home training and can ask the instructors for tips in person.

HTH :smt001
colliesrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2006, 11:23 AM
i start agility training at 9 -10 months depending on the dogs size. they can start competing at 18months. Spy started on flyball which helped him learn to go on, and did tunnels and open channel weaves. i backchained his contacts so he started them at 9 mths too. personally i wouldnt recommend anyone who was completely inexperienced in agility to try training it at home without the support and guidence of a good club.