Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Another good walk - Godmanchester

Headed North at the weekend and took in this great little circular walk going out from Godmanchester, around the gravel pits along the Ouse Valleyway to Houghton and round.

Weather was perfect, the sun came out as we arrived. Not a walk if you've a cow Phobia. Think we had 1 field of Cows, 2 fields of Cows and Calves, and one field of sheep, but plenty of non Cow/Sheep/ Donkey bits in between.

Probably not a winter walk either as once past the lakes, it's basically across water meadows. There was an unscheduled water crossing just past halfway - a 6ft (at the narrow bit) stretch of knee deep water. We had Cows on our side, and other miffed walkers beating a retreat on the other.
This was a good sign as it implied that after the seasonal stream, our way was clear - they all looked quite clean and dry.

After reviewing the situation, the only solution was to remove boots and socks, roll up the trousers - thankfully loose enough to get past the knee - and go wading. I went first & the dog that doesn't like getting his feet wet had to go swimming. To be fair once I launched him (He wasn't getting in on his own) he grasped the situation quickly, and beat me across. Then smugly watched, wagging his tale, as my mother followed our footsteps.

Is there any dog as smug as a "pleased with itself" terrier?

Discovered it's quite nice walking barefoot across grass (failing to dry your feet) & despite an awful lot of cowpats to watch out for, Dog and feet remained thankfully Cowpat free - could have done without the underwater stingy nettles though.

After the paddle it was plain sailing though occassionally a bit squelchy. We saw a few more people after the fording - so we might have been the only people stupid/desperate enough to brave it.

Buster was a good boy with the sheep & cows

Perfect.

And No Photos.

Anyone else have the Perfect Weekend walk?