Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2006, 03:33 PM

Microchipping and Breeders...

I was speaking to a dog breeder yesterday and we got talking about Microchipping and she told me that alot of dog breeders do not agree with Microchipping dogs...is this true and does anyone know what the reason could be....she wouldn't be drawn into the conversation further so couldn't find out why..thanks.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by lisa0307 View Post
I was speaking to a dog breeder yesterday and we got talking about Microchipping and she told me that alot of dog breeders do not agree with Microchipping dogs...is this true and does anyone know what the reason could be....she wouldn't be drawn into the conversation further so couldn't find out why..thanks.
Perhaps it is because microchipping doesn't prove ownership & they do more & fail no matter what the chip companys, microchippers, vets etc say

Lots of breeders prefer to tattoo because it is a visible legal id & proof of ownership & of course everyone is supplied with two readers situated either side of their noses

My Rjj has to be cipped for his pp but even my vets says how much easier it is to read a tattoo that a chip & it never moves of course & yes Rjj's chip has moved more than 9 inches from where it was implanted
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
My Rjj has to be cipped for his pp but even my vets says how much easier it is to read a tattoo that a chip & it never moves of course & yes Rjj's chip has moved more than 9 inches from where it was implanted
Teagans chip has moved too.
It's now far down past her right shoulder!
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2006, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=JoedeeUK;738874]Perhaps it is because microchipping doesn't prove ownership & they do more & fail no matter what the chip companys, microchippers, vets etc say

How can Microchipping not prove who owns a dog, my name was on the microchip computer database for my dog, how would that not have proved I was his owner?....I had my dog microchipped and it never moved or went wrong in the eleven years that he was alive..had it checked every year at vaccination time.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by lisa0307
How can Microchipping not prove who owns a dog, my name was on the microchip computer database for my dog, how would that not have proved I was his owner?....I had my dog microchipped and it never moved or went wrong in the eleven years that he was alive..had it checked every year at vaccination time.

The microchip proves you are the owner of the microchip
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by lisa0307 View Post

Under English & Welsh property law only a permanent mark proves ownership & as the chip is neither permanent(can be removed without lasting damage to the dog)nor a mark it fails twice & also there are problems with the chip companies telling the person the chip(& only the chip)is registered to where the dog is

A Dalmatian was stolen & the chip company told about the theft, the dog eventually turned up at one of the most famous dog's home in the country by this time it had allegedly developed bahaviourial problems The chip company refused to tell the registered owner of the chip where the chip(& ergo the dog)was under the data protection act & transferred the dog to the dogs home who then had the dog killed

If you read your chip paperwork the chip companies reserve the right to transfer the registration to rescues without referring to the previous registered chip owner nor seeking their permission this means your dog could go into as rescue as a stray & be rehomed without you knowing as there is no requirement under the law for non permanently marked property to be returned to it's rightful owner

The tattoo on the otherhand is both permanent & a mark & any rescue rehoming or killing a tattooed dog without contacting the NDTR is actually breaking the law & committing the criminal offence of theft by finding
huskadie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Please forgive me if im being dense but i have never had a dog that has been tattooed or would have the slightest idea how to go about it....??? so if microchipping is really not an effective way of proving ownership how would one go about getting their dog tattooed?or is it only the breeder that can do this?
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by huskadie View Post
Please forgive me if im being dense but i have never had a dog that has been tattooed or would have the slightest idea how to go about it....??? so if microchipping is really not an effective way of proving ownership how would one go about getting their dog tattooed?or is it only the breeder that can do this?
You're not dense at all, I was about to ask the same thing...where can you get a dog tattooed, on what part of it's body does it need to be done etc etc...also haven't there been cases of dogs with tattooed ears having them cut off to stop them being recognised?
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2006, 10:08 PM
if you look on the national dog tatto register website(you can google it) it will give you the option to look for a tattooist in your area i think it is about £15 and it is usually a dogs ear that is tattooed neither of mine are done but both a microchipped and DNA tested.i think the more you do to protect your animals the better
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Does a tatoo hurt? Is it the same as our tatoos or just the same name?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >