Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2011, 12:28 AM

How can i help my rat over a loss

i had two rat girlies rudi and jazz and little rudi passed away this morning and now, not sure how to describe, but jazz seems upset and i think she is missing her, jazz has never really been one thats all that fussed by coming out and sitting on me were as rudi was, she is just sitting quiet in a corner of her cage
how can i help her what can i do, ive given her some treats tonight and tomorrow im going to clean the cage out to maybe remmove rudi's scent ... or would it be better to leave it a day or two i dont no
ive given her a teddy to cuddle up to and they all ready had one of my furry cushion covers so ive left that in for her
the last time i had a rat left on her own she was fine she was quite a independent girlie so i dont no how to help jazz

hopefully my post makes sense if not sorry i had the upset over rudi this morning then had a load of trouble in work which upset me again and now im in bed looking at jazz and i dont no how to make her feel better
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Am so sorry about Rudi and don't know really what to suggest for Jazz other than what i did(don't know if was right thing but seemed to help him) with ours. When one had gone i carried the other one round with me in a pouch(used an old hat) tied round my front(bit like a baby pouch thing), he was never the fussier one but seemed content in it, even when i was vacuuming n stuff. I did clean the cage out too. We didn't try introduce another rat(knew that this one had breathing problem n vet couldn't do anymore) but think he liked to have more of my company and attention n not so lonely. Thinking of you n Jazz (x)
Run free little Rudi xx
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:52 AM
So sorry to hear about little Rudi and that Jazz is grieving for the loss of her companion. Excellent advice from K9paw. Whether you get another is up to you, if Jazz is still quite young she may benefit from you getting another rat as company. If she is older and more frail, she may be better by herself, as long as she has plenty of attention from you. If you do plan to introduce another rat I wouldn't do so straight away, I would give Jazz time to adjust to the loss of her companion first. So sorry for your loss.x
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
So sorry to hear about little Rudi and that Jazz is grieving for the loss of her companion. Excellent advice from K9paw. Whether you get another is up to you, if Jazz is still quite young she may benefit from you getting another rat as company. If she is older and more frail, she may be better by herself, as long as she has plenty of attention from you. If you do plan to introduce another rat I wouldn't do so straight away, I would give Jazz time to adjust to the loss of her companion first. So sorry for your loss.x
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Am so sorry about Rudi and don't know really what to suggest for Jazz other than what i did(don't know if was right thing but seemed to help him) with ours. When one had gone i carried the other one round with me in a pouch(used an old hat) tied round my front(bit like a baby pouch thing), he was never the fussier one but seemed content in it, even when i was vacuuming n stuff. I did clean the cage out too. We didn't try introduce another rat(knew that this one had breathing problem n vet couldn't do anymore) but think he liked to have more of my company and attention n not so lonely. Thinking of you n Jazz (x)
Run free little Rudi xx
thank you both, jazz seems to be getting on better now more active and eating more, i must admit i have been spoiling her with more goodies than usual but she's an old girl now so i think she she deserves it ive also given her one of my old teddies to snuggle up to and she seems to like it
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Unless Jazz is going to be the last rat you're ever going to have, then probably the best thing for her would be if you acquire two young baby girls to live with her. Make sure they are from a reputable breeder or rescue (you don't want one to suddenly sprout nuts!).

She won't be able to pick on two, and they will be company for each other *if* she really decides she prefers life on her own. But with good introductions, lone rats usually love having more around especially if they are grieving.

Even better than two new babies is three..... but that does depend on your more longer term plans. It means that when Jazz finally goes and you are left with the younger ones, if one of those should unexpectedly pass away, you're not back with the single rat dilemma again. It needs thinking about though, as obviously three of a similar age will eventually get old toegther and that's when they can start costing a lot more in vets bills.
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Unless Jazz is going to be the last rat you're ever going to have, then probably the best thing for her would be if you acquire two young baby girls to live with her. Make sure they are from a reputable breeder or rescue (you don't want one to suddenly sprout nuts!).

She won't be able to pick on two, and they will be company for each other *if* she really decides she prefers life on her own. But with good introductions, lone rats usually love having more around especially if they are grieving.

Even better than two new babies is three..... but that does depend on your more longer term plans. It means that when Jazz finally goes and you are left with the younger ones, if one of those should unexpectedly pass away, you're not back with the single rat dilemma again. It needs thinking about though, as obviously three of a similar age will eventually get old toegther and that's when they can start costing a lot more in vets bills.
yes jazz is going to be my last rat for a while,
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:23 PM
How old is Jazz?

loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2011, 01:49 AM
shes around 2 and a half now