Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi Stephanie, sorry to hear about you bad day

Why not have a word with your vet and ask him if you can take Murphy`s bandage off at home yourself next week,them he wont get to stressed out. Then you could then take him back in to see the vet for his check up
I have done this myself with one of my dogs, the vet had to take some stitches out of her eyes, but there was no way Millie was going to let this vet get anywhere near her eyes, I dont know who was more stressed the vet or the dog.
In the end i told the vet to leave her and i will do it myself when we got home, i just waited till she was sleeping and sat stroking her head, while i sniped the stiches out, there where about 8 of them in all, Millie did not even notice.

No stress and didn`t put her of going back to the vet`s
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 09:03 PM
OMG - thats awful about the nusre being slashed bya feral cat

Theres an awful lots of feral cats about at the momemt, there were some in my vets on Friday that had just been neutured
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox
Hi Stephanie, sorry to hear about you bad day

Why not have a word with your vet and ask him if you can take Murphy`s bandage off at home yourself next week,them he wont get to stressed out. Then you could then take him back in to see the vet for his check up
I have done this myself with one of my dogs, the vet had to take some stitches out of her eyes, but there was no way Millie was going to let this vet get anywhere near her eyes, I dont know who was more stressed the vet or the dog.
In the end i told the vet to leave her and i will do it myself when we got home, i just waited till she was sleeping and sat stroking her head, while i sniped the stiches out, there where about 8 of them in all, Millie did not even notice.

No stress and didn`t put her of going back to the vet`s
I'm not sure I feel totally comfortable with taking it off at home, theres an awful lot of wadding underneath all that bandaging thats gonna take a while to cut through as well as the sticky tape stuff to rip off (ouch) and at the vets he can be sedated, personally I don't want Murphy to see me as causing him pain and I want him to know that home is his sanctuary, also it was major surgery he had (the op took 5.5 hours) and I want to be sure that the vet is ok with the wound as it will be only 6 days since his op.

Murphy also had staples not stitches so I don't know what the difference is with taking those out.

Thanks for the suggestion Jackbox, I'm just a wuss
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Stephanie
OMG - thats awful about the nusre being slashed bya feral cat

Theres an awful lots of feral cats about at the momemt, there were some in my vets on Friday that had just been neutured
I was sitting in the waiting room at the time with Abe-the noise comming from the examination room from the cat was horrific.When the poor nurse came out-there was blood pouring down her arm and i felt so sorry for her.She did say that even the most aggresive dog can be subdued-but not a wild cat.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Just a thought, yeh major surgery is a bit different, staples no i woud leave them to the vet
why not try giving him some "rescue remedy" before you go , try some yourself, will calm you both down.

Good luck
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

07-05-2005, 09:36 PM
What a nightmare for you and Murphy! I hope it will all soon be a distant memory for you both. Yes, once Murphy is better do take him to the vet for brief 'treat time' visits which will help dispel any fears & bad associations he has with the place.
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Poor Murphy He Is Really Going Through It Lately
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Ahh poor Murphy

Tetley is the most stupid friendly, love everybody,every dog kinda chap, but after his castration he took a real dislike to the vet, snapping and growling, I'd never seen him like that before ever It took 3 of us to hold him down to remove his stiches. In all honesty I don't really blame them when they get a bit agitated....it's scary for them
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-05-2005, 08:33 AM
i hope every thing gets better for both of you soon.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2005, 10:06 AM
poor murphy
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >