Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 07:13 PM

A nightmare at the vets today

Took Murphy back to the vets this morning to get his bandage changed - what a nightmare , first the reception area is packed with people and dogs and Murphy was obviously not in best form and was barking his head off, then the receptionist Jane, who Murphy knows well, came over and said I could take him through to the kennel at the back as he was obviously getting stressed and jumping around on his bad leg was doing it no good and she stroked his head, no problem, and then all of a sudden he started really growling and trying to go for her, I have never seen Murphy react like that to anyone, a low growl yes but not like that, any how he was obviously very stressed and in pain as he hadn't had his rimadyl as he wasn't allowed food incase he needed to be sedated.

I popped him in the kennel and they told me that they would call me in 2-3 hours to come and collect him (this was at 09:40). At 10:50 they called me and asked me to go down to the vets cause as soon as anyone approached the kennel he was growling at them (my poor baby ) so off I went spoke calmly with him whilst they gave him the sedetive and went and sat in reception as they said it would only be 20 minutes to change the badage and then he could go home.

2 minutes later the vet came out (not my usual vet who Murphy likes) and asked me to go out to the back again and asssist in keeping Murphy calm whilst they change the bandage, there was another vet nurse there too, so I was at Murphy's head, the vet at his leg and the vet nurse at his middle, we got Murphy to lay down and away went the vet doing his job, there were a couple of very scary moments were Murphy wanted to eat the vet but I don't blame him cause they were ripping the sticky plaster off and it must of hurt like hell, we really had to pin Murphy down (actually the vet nurse was practically sitting on him) and thank god for the lampshade as that stopped him getting his mouth anywhere near anyone, it took about 30 minutes to change the bandage and it was so obvious my little man was suffering .

They gave him a painkiller injection and the seditive reversal injection and then he was up and let eveyone stroke and pet him again.

I really hope I don't have to go through that again ....but the bandage is coming off for good on Monday !!

Oh yeah, and during all this time at the vets, my daughter Erin was sitting behind the reception desk with the other nurses pretending to answer the phone and be quite the bossy boots receptionist - so much so they offered her a job LOL

Today has been very stressful
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Poor you Stephanie

Let's hope Monday is a bit easier... How is Murphy now?
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Oh Stephanie
So sorry you and Murphy are going through all this.
Just hope it won't be long before It's just a distant memory and he is fit and fine again.
Remember - all things must pass.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Aww poor Murphy

Hope he feels better now
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Oh dear What a horrible time for you both , hope it goes better next time!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Big hug Steph xxxxxxx
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh Stephanie I really feel for you and Murphy, both of you deserve a good rest now. It is so stressful when you feel so helpless and don't know what to do to make them feel better. I hope things start to pick up now for poor Murphy.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2005, 07:23 PM
My heart goes out to you both, hope it's better Monday.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Oh Stephanie what a week you have had..and little sleep I would guess which always makes things seem worse ..poor Murphy must have been in a lot of pain and so scared in that place that smells of fear I hope things get better for you both soon ((hug))
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Stephanie my heart goes out to you. Murphy just doesn't seem like his old self at all.

Hopefully he'll feel better once the bandage is off for good.

LOL @ Erin, she's certainly made her mark on the vets

((((HUGS))))

Aileen x
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »