Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I can see several posters have no concept of logistics............
LOL, its the internet! No need for logic and fact to get in the way of a good thread, you know
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2012, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
...[snip]...
Do you remember that case of a lorry driver from some European country (Can't remember which it was now) who drove into the back of a car on the M6 killing mother, father, and three kids He was doing something on his lap top while cruising at 69mph
The lorry driver was Portuguese, living in Spain, and he killed a 38 years old father, his 33 years old wife, and their four children aged 13, 9, 20 months, and a 10 week old infant.

He was apparently using a laptop computer to plot his route.

Family of six killed by lorry driver
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
The lorry driver was Portuguese, living in Spain, and he killed a 38 years old father, his 33 years old wife, and their four children aged 13, 9, 20 months, and a 10 week old infant.

He was apparently using a laptop computer to plot his route.

Family of six killed by lorry driver
Dear Malka, thank you for finding that, my memory isn't what it was

How tragic that it was actually four children, as many have pointed out, idiot drivers come in all nationalities but I do believe that stricter laws are a beginning, the laws regarding driving hours in UK are hardly onerous but in some European countries driving hours are not restricted at all.

In addition I know ('cos I live here) that there's still a very 'macho' attitude among male drivers, they think it's normal to drive huge distances without a break, the husband of my wifes hairdresser is planning to drive 700 miles to holiday in Croatia and in one day over 'normal' roads not motorways and he will be doing all the driving ('cos she doesn't drive!)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-07-2012, 09:51 AM
As someone who works in this area
SB, yes once again you are right, but since you work in logistics* could you tell me if there is any requirement for non UK drivers to undergo any form of induction or trainning on UK laws?

*Also, when did good old 'goods transport' suddenly become 'logistics'
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 11:15 AM
I frequently deal with UPS and i have to say their concept of logistics when it comes to highly sensitive material really is the bane of my life!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2012, 11:34 AM

How tragic that it was actually four children
The tragedy was compounded because only five bodies were initially found, and when the next of kin were informed they asked where the baby was.

It was only when the total wreckage was re-examined that the remains of the 10 week old infant was found.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
SB, yes once again you are right, but since you work in logistics* could you tell me if there is any requirement for non UK drivers to undergo any form of induction or trainning on UK laws?

*Also, when did good old 'goods transport' suddenly become 'logistics'

I have no idea when the transportation of goods suddenly became logistics, if it indeed it was sudden. But that is what it is.

We employ foreign drivers and they are all assessed (after we have checked their driving licences etc etc) and have to meet the same standards as British drivers do.

Also, from 2014 all drivers will be required to hold the Driver CPC (Certificate of professional competence) which has been introduced across Europe to improve Driver Safety.

This has several requirements not least that of continuing training of a minimum of 7 hours a year.

This will bring an element of standardisation across nations.

It is not perfect, but is an improvement.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...type=RESOURCES
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Also, from 2014 all drivers will be required to hold the Driver CPC (Certificate of professional competence) which has been introduced across Europe to improve Driver Safety.
Thanks for that, the introduction of the Driver CPC is (as you say) a good move, however bearing in mind how many countries just don't follow through and enforce these things I doubt it will make much difference in certain countries.

My experience, having lived nearly eight years in the Eastern part of Europe is that the politicians will tell the people in Brussels they are following all the rules but on a local level no one gives a dam, here in Czechland the lorry drivers will continue to drink and drive, the farmers will contuinue let their chickens run everywhere, and village idiots will continue to run their home made vehicles on public roads with no licence plates and no insurance.

It annoys me intensely that while British firms and people mostly follow the laws that Brussels makes, some countries just 'say' they are doing it when in fact no one gives a damm.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3